Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manicwinter

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
I don't personally want one, but I think Apple needs to make a 5.5 inch iPhone if they want to grab more of the high end market. Everyone at my place of business is choosing the Note over the iPhone because they want the biggest screen possible. Samsung's commercials also appear to be a big factor (they love the commercial with Lebron and the one where the wife is passing videos to her husband by touching the phones).

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Seems he's written about what he *wants* to happen rather than what will most likely happen.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yeah sure, now, who produces a single NAND flash chip that can hold 128 GB?! The answer is no one.

Analysts are just notoriously bad at guessing.

IMFT has had 128Gb dies (eight of them in a single package yields 128GB) in production for months now. Samsung also has a similar die in development but they haven't disclosed any details of its production status (I'm guessing it's already in mass production with availability in volume being H1 2013). From a technical standpoint, 128GB iPhone is plausible in 2013.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
And suggestion that Apple has plateaued is possibly short-sighted. I'll counter that Apple has never been more poised, as a company, to innovate than at any point in their phenomenal history. And I think we'll look back at Tim's exec shuffle as the turning point. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I'll be able to upgrade after May. Can't wait for the 5S

Have to wait for September 2014. That's when my contract expires. I probably could upgrade April 2014, but the contract stacks on top of the next one then. So there is no benefit to upgrade the earliest I can, since it won't get me the next upgrade any earlier. Still on my iPhone 4 and it works fine. Can't wait for iPhone 6!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I can't wait for the iPhone 6 in 2014. I doubt we'll be sticking to a 4" screen by then.

But I'll take a red iPhone 5S next year though.

Only time will tell...

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I think these sort of leaks may have some truth but it's hardly going to help sales.

If there is an Iphone 6 prototype then we shouldn't be hearing about it before the Iphone 5S. I know we heard about Iphone 5 before the 4S was out but the rumours suggested they put a 4S out as the Iphone 5 wasn't quite ready hence the move from summer to October launch.

New colours wouldn't surprise me as look at the current Ipod touch line. The rumours disappoint me in a way as I'd like a slimmer Iphone like Ipod touch and maybe Ipad 5 with the same design as the mini one. 128GB makes sense but hardly anybody would be able to afford one of these anyway. I reckon they will but it's good news because chances are Iphone 5S will start entry at 32GB as you need that much space for apps these days.

I don't think churning out all these models is the answer. Why put a Iphone 5S out in the summer and maybe put another Iphone 6 out say xmas 2013? Why not just hold off skip the 5S and put the 6 out if they want to combat competition.

Two major Iphone's or Ipads a year = less hype and half the queues that's a FACT.

We seen it with Ipad this year but the queues were slightly masked as it was for Ipad mini. If they churn out another tiny update for Ipad 5 there will be a handful in a queue. It will also see Apple being a bit more business trying to churn out too many models in a year. Bad news for people taking a contract as they might find upto a 2 year one and find there phone is obsolete by about three Iphone launches.

I don't think churning out constant releases helps Apple. They are known for quality not quantity. They promise a major innovation each year not 2 or 3 small updates along the calendar year.

My personal opinion was Ipad 4 should never have happened. I won't be buying more than one Ipad per year. If they keep updating Iphones I might just jump ship to another handset and carry an Ipod Touch around with me as that already does most of what Iphone does.

Yes there's competition out there but firing out rubbish updates like Ipad 4 just adds more criticism for Apple putting out poor updates for there products. Apple won't be able to take over the phone market like they have the tablet so why release all these mini ones rumoured? I think Apple are in danger of trying to please too many markets whilst there core fans are alienated with constant releases.

It all goes down to a company being too greedy and I can only see this as being the downfall of Apple. IOS won't have much future by copying Android. Apple need to go back to "ONE" release per year and "wow" everybody. The new Apple is not good. Fancy colours over innovation and "keeping up" features added to IOS.

Please Apple go back to innovating.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I'd gladly take a 4.8" screen. Though I'd really like to see a major UI overhaul of iOS instead of tiny updates.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'm down with multiple colors and 128 GB, if it means the base storage capacity will start at 32 GB. Everything else seems likely, except for maybe the 4.8" screen. But it's just a prototype, reportedly.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I can't wait for the iPhone 6 in 2014. I doubt we'll be sticking to a 4" screen by then.

But I'll take a red iPhone 5S next year though.

Only time will tell...

They tell us 4" is just right yet they have 4"8 in the pipeline I find it funny..

I reckon there just paranoid everybody goes for bigger Android phones. The Galaxy has already failed by having to release smaller one after there flagship one was well known for being just too BIG! :rolleyes:

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I thought big phones were dismissed by Apple.
What competition does, huh? Putting fanboysm to shame once again.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Do not care about any of that.

Never buy colorful phones, do not care for more then 16gb of storage, NFC is useless to me.

But thats why I never have bought a "S" model.

Just come out with iOS7. Let me delete the POS apps you force me to have. Passbook, newsstand, etc

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think 128gb, IGZO screen, better camera and nfc are the most likely for 5S.

Don't think we will see colours (personal opinion) and I don't think we will see increased screen size or resolution until the iPhone after the 5S.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seems inevitable they will offer a larger screen. I think Apple underestimated how much people like it and view it as "better". I would certainly appreciate it since I spend so much time looking at it. A small increase would not take up that much more space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.