Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I just bought a new Air, and when I made a new library, I downloaded my iTunes match music from iCloud. I noticed there is no longer a music folder all of the music is listed in, they just list by artist in the main directory, which I think is odd. Has anyone else noticed this? I called Apple and they said this is new and the normal functionality of iTunes 11. I think it's kinda dumb. What are your thoughts.....?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just bought a new Air, and when I made a new library, I downloaded my iTunes match music from iCloud. I noticed there is no longer a music folder all of the music is listed in, they just list by artist in the main directory, which I think is odd. Has anyone else noticed this? I called Apple and they said this is new and the normal functionality of iTunes 11. I think it's kinda dumb. What are your thoughts.....?
Check to see what media folder location you have selected in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Check to see what media folder location you have selected in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced

I have it going into an empty iTunes folder I created. It then made folders for apps, books, movies, tv shows, etc. but none for Music. I just thought it was odd and called Apple on it. They said this was new, and it helped people find their music easier, that the majority of people used iTunes to just manage their music collection.....I thought that was a crazy, stupid answer, but oh well. Seem to be some crazy, stupid changes in Cupertino lately.........

So now you have to go through the hundred's of artist folders to easily find your movies, apps, books, etc. folders. So, silly.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So now you have to go through the hundred's of artist folders to easily find your movies, apps, books, etc. folders. So, silly.
I prefer to manage my media files myself. It took many years to build my library, and I don't want it changed by any software. iTunes is great for me, as long as I get to keep my files named and organized the way I want.

dholaday

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
armandxp:
What do you mean by "Main Directory"?

My iTunes music is right where I told it to go: in a "Music" folder in my iTunes Media folder.

As GGJ said, check your advanced preferences settings.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
armandxp:
What do you mean by "Main Directory"?

My iTunes music is right where I told it to go: in a "Music" folder in my iTunes Media folder.

As GGJ said, check your advanced preferences settings.

My advanced settings are the same as they were with my old computer, but when I bought my new air and installed iTunes 11, I made sure that I let iTunes manage my collection and keep the folders organized.

I just drag and dropped all my movies, tv shows, apps and books onto the iTunes symbol. I didn't copy ANY of my music, because it was all in iTunes match. But, when i did download a song, now from iCloud, it doesn't make a music folder, like it did create a 'apps' folder, 'movies' folder, 'books' folder. I didn't have to tell iTunes to make these folders, it just did it. Now, it doesn't make a music folder. No one will probably notice unless they start a new clean library. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.