Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:12 AM   #1
dillonm
macrumors member

iCloud has really confused the crap outta me.

How can I just get everything back to the old days ? I just want to plug my stuff in and sync it. How can I disable iCloud completely, delete what I have on iCloud and only sync stuff when I plug in?

----------

I am restoring both my iPad and iPhone back to factory settings and choosing not to enable iCloud. Think this will do the trick?
dillonm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:55 AM   #2
idkmybffjon
macrumors member

what are you having problems with. i find iCloud to be absolutely effortless. after the initial setup everything works exactly as advertised. what can i help you with? i don't want you to miss out.
idkmybffjon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:23 AM   #3
mp0890
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not sure what the problem is, but if u hate it that much go in your settings and turn it off.
mp0890 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:31 AM   #4
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Um, you could not use it perhaps?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:35 PM   #5
ginitica
macrumors newbie

I'm having a lot of trouble too. I have mobile me and have all my documents (PDF's Included) in various folders. I find that I can't do that with iWork. I am a college student and desperately need access to ALL of my documents. Any suggestions?
ginitica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Playgear
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginitica View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble too. I have mobile me and have all my documents (PDF's Included) in various folders. I find that I can't do that with iWork. I am a college student and desperately need access to ALL of my documents. Any suggestions?

Move them to iWork in iCloud.

OR

Move them to iWork.com

OR

Dropbox.
Playgear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:19 PM   #7
princigalli
macrumors 6502

Icloud mail doesn't work well for me. It's easy to take the functionality of Google mail for granted, but when you try Icloud you really appreciate how well Google mail works.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:26 AM   #8
s.horsfield
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
Icloud mail doesn't work well for me. It's easy to take the functionality of Google mail for granted, but when you try Icloud you really appreciate how well Google mail works.
Actually no, I switched from Gmail around when iCloud launched and aside from some week 1 not sending/receiving email hiccups (servers overloaded I guess?) everything worked flawlessly. Now obviously this is all opinion but all the main features in iCloud are their and i'm happy with it.

/my thoughts
s.horsfield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:14 PM   #9
princigalli
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimonwins View Post
Actually no, I switched from Gmail around when iCloud launched and aside from some week 1 not sending/receiving email hiccups (servers overloaded I guess?) everything worked flawlessly. Now obviously this is all opinion but all the main features in iCloud are their and i'm happy with it.

/my thoughts
Works well with pages, but mail hasn't been perfect. When I log in to the Icloud email online, searching for text in old mail is almost impossible. It goes on and on searching and then it times out. Gmail doesn't do that.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:53 PM   #10
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

I definitely would not want to waste my icloud storage on mail. They need to get around to syncing videos!
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:39 PM   #11
s.horsfield
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
Works well with pages, but mail hasn't been perfect. When I log in to the Icloud email online, searching for text in old mail is almost impossible. It goes on and on searching and then it times out. Gmail doesn't do that.
Really? I've heard that from a bunch of people but its never been an issue sorting through the thousands of emails on iCloud.com for me. My main issues I've had (and again these aren't huge) are the times it takes to sync iCloud Tabs (from iOS device to Mac, Mac to iOS device works fine) and syncing Podcast playtimes. But it's all to do with saving battery not an issue with iCloud itself per say. Otherwise it's been perfect!
s.horsfield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:47 PM   #12
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

I'm having trouble with iCloud duplicating my Safari bookmarks frequently. Annoying. Other than that, iCloud works great for what I use it for. The key with iCloud is being aware of its limitations.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:02 PM   #13
decksnap
macrumors 68030

I'll admit to being confused about the various tentacles of icloud... I think it syncs my purchases and maybe my contacts? Other than that I plug the stupid box into the other stupid box and sync all my ****.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:43 PM   #14
LarsenR
macrumors newbie

Yeah, FWIW you will hear a lot of "it works flawlessly," and "don't see what YOUR problem is cause it is EASY..." Well, that may be true for some folks but there ARE lots of people having significant and difficult to solve problems (myself included). iCloud seems to work really well for the native ios stuff but it has major problems with iwork syncing. Pages seems to work "best" with icloud but Key and Num have even more serious bugs.

Personally, I have decades of systems building and programming experience and I was and am unable to get iwork to function properly (read: at all) with icloud and syncing with my iphone 4 and ipad 3g (both ios 5.1.1). Despite the Apple requirement of only ios 5 the geniuses (multiple) at the Apple store kinda shrugged, admitted their product failings and suggested an ios6 update (not OK for a number of reasons). Basically Apple doesn't stand behind their software offerings the same way they warranty their hardware.

BTW, the "geniuses" repeatedly recommend Dropbox despite their corporate marketing that if you buy iwork then icloud will sync your workflow... Go figure.
LarsenR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:59 PM   #15
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

iCloud is happiest when you are NOT plugging things in. That's where you're going to screw yourself.

I haven't plugged my iDevice into my Mac in months.

Photos are synced via Photostream
Music is kept in sync via iTunes Match
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services