Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:04 PM   #51
Mac-Tech
macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

I am wondering with BTO Ultimate Spec's (2.7 l 16GB l 786GB) has ppl who got them did you all receive a Samsung panel with them?

So far what I read is that ppl who BTO the Ultimate Spec seem to have a higher chance of getting the Samsung display. Is this true?
Mac-Tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:52 PM   #52
redshovel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Tech View Post
Hey Guys,

I am wondering with BTO Ultimate Spec's (2.7 l 16GB l 786GB) has ppl who got them did you all receive a Samsung panel with them?

So far what I read is that ppl who BTO the Ultimate Spec seem to have a higher chance of getting the Samsung display. Is this true?
I also observe that most BTO machines I see/read of, seem to been fitted with the Samsung Panel. This was one of the deciding factors of why I clicked for 16 GB RAM instead of the standard 8 - more chance of getting the Samsung panel. Ok ..... overpaid on the RAM ....but really didn't want to be lumbered with an LG panel and the hassle of retuning!

Last edited by redshovel; Dec 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Cant spell for ****
redshovel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:53 PM   #53
millerrh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshovel View Post
I also observe that most BTO machines I see/read of, seem to been fitted with the Samsung Panel. This was one of the deciding factors of why I clicked for 16 GB RAM instead of the standard 8 - more change of getting the Samsung panel. Ok ..... overpaid on the RAM ....but really didn't want to be lumbered with an LG panel and the hassle of retuning!
I ordered a 2.6/16/512 and got an LG, so it's still a lottery....
millerrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:50 PM   #54
redshovel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
I ordered a 2.6/16/512 and got an LG, so it's still a lottery....
Mmm... So it seems
Maybe this whole LG thing is being blown out of proportion but I still retain my personal view that, LG for all its innovation, still can't produce panels on mass as well as Samsung.
If I had just paid put thousands and ended up with an LG panel rMBP.... That thing would be flying back to Shanghai ASAP'
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:35 PM   #55
millerrh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Mmm... So it seems
Maybe this whole LG thing is being blown out of proportion but I still retain my personal view that, LG for all its innovation, still can't produce panels on mass as well as Samsung.
If I had just paid put thousands and ended up with an LG panel rMBP.... That thing would be flying back to Shanghai ASAP'
Yeah, I'm still on the fence. So far, mine does not exhibit the issue, but as I understand it, it takes some time. I'll likely send it back just to not have to worry about whether or not they will agree to replace it if/when this begins. What a fiasco. I wish I had read enough about this prior to ordering.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:42 PM   #56
raptorstv
Banned

it's not in apple's best interest to have a supplier who is also the main competitor
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:03 PM   #57
redshovel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, I'm still on the fence. So far, mine does not exhibit the issue, but as I understand it, it takes some time. I'll likely send it back just to not have to worry about whether or not they will agree to replace it if/when this begins. What a fiasco. I wish I had read enough about this prior to ordering.
The time scale issue was a major factor for me. Any LG tv or display that has ever went bad on me has always been a few months down the line ( they were perfect when new) - when retuning is out of the question and then comes the whole logistics of repairs.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:52 PM   #58
anarti
macrumors regular

Mine was BTO, shipped from china on 13/11 and it did have LG. Image retention was visible after 2 days.

Went to apple store and got screen replaced but will pick up my laptop next week and will tell you what I got.

I think we cannot say that BTO machines are coming with samsungs only. There is stil 50/50 chance and apple didn't change a thing.
anarti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:56 PM   #59
millerrh
macrumors 6502

All these returns and replacements can't be good for their bottom line though. I really am surprised they haven't done something about this yet. If people in forums can figure out Samsungs are behaving well and LGs aren't surely the engineers at Apple know better. Why they haven't acted on this is beyond my comprehension.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:00 PM   #60
anarti
macrumors regular

Quote:
All these returns and replacements can't be good for their bottom line though. I really am surprised they haven't done something about this yet. If people in forums can figure out Samsungs are behaving well and LGs aren't surely the engineers at Apple know better. Why they haven't acted on this is beyond my comprehension.
meybe because it is a flagship macbook at the moment and having this kind of failure in public wouldn't do any more friends to apple?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:05 PM   #61
aware
macrumors member

What is the current latest manufacturing week/unit number?
aware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:31 PM   #62
code137
macrumors newbie

Just got my 2.6/16/512 delivered today and it's samsung.
code137 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:27 AM   #63
AndyDiamond
macrumors regular

thanks for the replies - as I said mine is a 2.7/16/768 and presumably has an LG screen.

Any way I can be totally sure?
And, without trawling the forums, is there a test for screen burn or whatever it is called?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:54 PM   #64
Mac-Tech
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDiamond View Post
thanks for the replies - as I said mine is a 2.7/16/768 and presumably has an LG screen.

And, without trawling the forums, is there a test for screen burn or whatever it is called?

Hey here it is run it on a gray background for about 10minutes or more..Read the instructions its all there.

The Checker Board Test:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=checker+board

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by code137 View Post
Just got my 2.6/16/512 delivered today and it's samsung.
Nice you got lucky I am going with RMBP 15" 2.7/16/768 hoping for a Samsung.
Mac-Tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:30 PM   #65
aware
macrumors member

Anyone got unit number above 900 for this month? Is it samsung?
aware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:44 PM   #66
KevinC867
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDiamond View Post

Check out this MacRumors article for the Terminal command to determine the display manufacturer:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/17/...e-persistence/
KevinC867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:49 AM   #67
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I also observe that most BTO machines I see/read of, seem to been fitted with the Samsung Panel. This was one of the deciding factors of why I clicked for 16 GB RAM instead of the standard 8 - more chance of getting the Samsung panel. Ok ..... overpaid on the RAM ....but really didn't want to be lumbered with an LG panel and the hassle of retuning!
Paying more just to lower the chance of getting a defect screen? No offence, but Apple must laugh all the way to the bank when they see such devotion.

I do understand you though.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:57 PM   #68
NostalgiaLane
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelam View Post
Had my RMBP for several months now. There are definitely IR issues (through normal usage) that I didn't see in the first few months.
Same boat as you, what are you planning to do with it?
NostalgiaLane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:58 PM   #69
ZhenyaF
macrumors 6502

I have a 2.6/16/256 and have a Samsung display
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:27 PM   #70
Haiku214
macrumors member

I've been using my rmbp for 6 months now and never really bothered checking who made my screen as I've never had any IR issues since. Today I just found out I have a samsung. I got mine on the first day it showed up on my local apple retail store (June 2012).
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:51 AM   #71
wicked45
macrumors newbie

hi everyone!

long time lurker, fist time poster. I ran the terminal command to check what lcd screen i have and i have an LG screen. last night, i ran the image retention test and i wasnt able to see any issues with my screen. may it be that my rMBP is still too new? for those with the LG lcd, when did you first notice the IR? should i go exchange my rMBP and hope that I will get one with the samsung lcd? thanks advance for any help or suggestion.
wicked45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:44 AM   #72
anarti
macrumors regular

No, just go to apple store and they will replace the screen for you. No need to send the whole laptop back when only the screen is "faulty".
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:59 AM   #73
wicked45
macrumors newbie

how can tell them to replace the screen if i really dont see a problem? i know everyone is saying that if you get a rMBP with an LG, to go return it in hoping to get one with a samsung lcd. as for swapping out monitor, how would i know they will swap out with a samung lcd? its a brand new macbook so i have no data on there yet. would it be safer for me to just exchange it for whole new unit? dont really like the fact that i am paying that much and have to get something replaced already.
wicked45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:31 PM   #74
redshovel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Paying more just to lower the chance of getting a defect screen? No offence, but Apple must laugh all the way to the bank when they see such devotion.

I do understand you though.
Now that I have the rMPB in hand it was worth the extra of the 16GB RAM, makes a big difference when running parallels or gaming.
Also my dislike for LG panels and the really not wanting to get into a returns loop made the RAM premium easy to swallow to secure the product I wanted.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:33 PM   #75
millerrh
macrumors 6502

Hey guys, BTO doesn't guarantee a Samsung display. I had a 2.6/16/512 that was LG.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro