Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I've been using the mStand for a little over a year now, but when Twelve South came out with their new HiRise for MacBook stand I figured I would give it a try. I'm not going to compare unboxing because functionality it what ultimately matters.

I dock/undock my Early 2011 MacBook Pro roughly 5-10 times a week. What is most important to me is that it is a seamless transition. Have laptop, put on stand, and connect cables. The mStand excels at this with its "feet" to catch the laptop and make perfect positioning an ease with each use. The HiRise however, does not have such a feature and this can become a tedious task to get the same position as you had once before. Placing your $3k MacBook Pro on a stand shouldn't be a guessing game, and you definitely shouldn't be worried that it might fall off given the incorrect position.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pgaadqfdzak5lu/Photo%20Nov%2028%2C%2014%2056%2008.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ck7yxv3age8vj9/Photo%20Nov%2028%2C%2014%2057%2000.jpg

Stand placement is another big issue for me and honestly, I didn't realize it was until I got the HiRise. The stand shouldn't move once placed in the proper position on my desk. The mStand doesn't move. The HiRise does, and abhorrently so.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cst3f57ubxpnnyo/Video%20Nov%2028%2C%2014%2036%2022.mov

Lastly, elevation is also critical. While the HiRise will get the top of your MacBook Pro screen to roughly 15 1/2", the mStand will give you a full inch more. There is also more downward angle on the body of the Macbook Pro with the mStand. The is bound to be more beneficial to heat dissipation. I have also found it makes it easier to use the keyboard in those instances I forget to turn Bluetooth back on before docking my MacBook Pro.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oslqgd72sc54ep/Photo%20Nov%2028%2C%2014%2039%2046.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yjvoo8rozrlne3/Photo%20Nov%2028%2C%2014%2040%2047.jpg

I won't discuss prices as you can look those up for yourself. It's obvious to me within the first couple of minutes of using the HiRise that it is no competitor to the mStand.

Last edited:

Geordie

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2006
UK
Thanks. I'm just considering between the two and found your short review.

I'm surprised the maximum HiRise height is less. I thought that was the point of it being adjustable.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks. I'm just considering between the two and found your short review.

I'm surprised the maximum HiRise height is less. I thought that was the point of it being adjustable.

Glad it helped! Yeah I was also very surprised that the HiRise didn't go higher.

KhrisGarcia

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I have the mstand for my 17 mbp and its really solid. Perfect height. The rubber feet keep the macbook in place and it doesn't slide around. :)

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Can you please measure the minimum height of the HiRise. I can't find it anywhere and would like to know. Thanks.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
What I like most about the Mstand, is how perfectly it lines up next to the Thunderbolt Display. The height is literally bang on centered. It both looks, and works perfectly. It also had a variation that rotates on "lazy Susan" type swivel base. That variant us called the Mstand 360.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
I don't see why you wouldn't include the prices in your review or at least mention that the mStand is cheaper.

I looked it up for the rest of the readers who are curious:

mStand price via business site: $44.91
HiRise price via business site: $69.99

:shrug:

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
I've got the mStand as well and did consider the HiRise but decided against it due to price. Glad I did now, thanks for the review.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I don't see why you wouldn't include the prices in your review or at least mention that the mStand is cheaper.

I looked it up for the rest of the readers who are curious:

mStand price via business site: $44.91
HiRise price via business site: $69.99

:shrug:

I didn't know if it violated any forum policies. Some forums are really picky about that.

----------

Can you please measure the minimum height of the HiRise. I can't find it anywhere and would like to know. Thanks.

Sure! With the height set to the lowest point, the back(where the back of your laptop would sit) is at 3 5/8" and the front is at 2 1/8". Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
I have two mStands: one for the rMBP and one for my iPad. It seems as these will last for as long as the computers retain their form factor.

I did only two minor adjustements:

1. I added some felt furniture protectors on the bottom.

89483.jpg

This way I can move the stand accross the table.

cHt3g.jpg

2. I put a small cloth on one to accomodate the iPad.

uUFPO.jpg

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
[/QUOTE]Sure! With the height set to the lowest point, the back(where the back of your laptop would sit) is at 3 5/8" and the front is at 2 1/8". Hope this helps. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Is the HiRise really that bad? I am considering it only because all of the other stands elevate the mbp 6" or so and the way it would be setup next to my monitor it wound be to high.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks. Is the HiRise really that bad? I am considering it only because all of the other stands elevate the mbp 6" or so and the way it would be setup next to my monitor it wound be to high.

The bottom has Teflon strips to "keep from scratching your surface(desk)". This does nothing to keep the stand in place. It moves very easily. They remind me of the strips you see on the bottom of the Magic Mouse. To me, this is a deal breaker. Take a look at the BookArc. That might fit your needs.

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
The bottom has Teflon strips to "keep from scratching your surface(desk)". This does nothing to keep the stand in place. It moves very easily. They remind me of the strips you see on the bottom of the Magic Mouse. To me, this is a deal breaker. Take a look at the BookArc. That might fit your needs.

I have looked at the bookarc but I have gotten so used to using my mbp as a second monitor so I really don't want the bookarc.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
I was looking to buy mStand but what put me away was actually its fixed height. For my needs actually too high.

That's why I bought Hirise and it's perfect. Adjustable height means I can put it on any height I want. Quality of this stand is excellent. It is more expensive than mStand (why?), but that's what I was looking for:)

Just my 2 cents.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013
I was looking to buy mStand but what put me away was actually its fixed height. For my needs actually too high.

That's why I bought Hirise and it's perfect. Adjustable height means I can put it on any height I want. Quality of this stand is excellent. It is more expensive than mStand (why?), but that's what I was looking for:)

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I have the mStand but I just ordered the Hi Rise. The mStand elevates to the perfect screen height but then the keyboard is too high for comfortable typing and I can't convince myself to use a Bluetooth keyboard when there is an existing keyboard attached to my computer 2 feet away. Just seems crazy to me.

I'm hoping the Hi Rise can get me to the sweet spot between good screen height and good keyboard height. Otherwise I might finally give up on laptops for good. I'll have to just live my considerably more pixellated iMac screen!

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Yeah I have the mStand but I just ordered the Hi Rise. The mStand elevates to the perfect screen height but then the keyboard is too high for comfortable typing and I can't convince myself to use a Bluetooth keyboard when there is an existing keyboard attached to my computer 2 feet away. Just seems crazy to me.

I'm hoping the Hi Rise can get me to the sweet spot between good screen height and good keyboard height. Otherwise I might finally give up on laptops for good. I'll have to just live my considerably more pixellated iMac screen!

You'll be returning the Hi Rise, trust me. There is no middle ground where an elevated laptop would have a perfect screen position AND perfect keyboard position. Keyboard should be on the table with your your arms resting on the chair arm support and with the shoulders relaxed.

Having your arms elevated the whole time will definitely cause troubles.

Just get the BT keyboard and have the perfect setup. ;-)

Geordie

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2006
UK
You'll be returning the Hi Rise, trust me. There is no middle ground where an elevated laptop would have a perfect screen position AND perfect keyboard position. Keyboard should be on the table with your your arms resting on the chair arm support and with the shoulders relaxed.

Having your arms elevated the whole time will definitely cause troubles.

Just get the BT keyboard and have the perfect setup. ;-)

Beat me to it. I agree, while these are strong enough they cannot be suitable for anything more than brief keyboard or trackpad usage (I occasionally input login password before turning Bluetooth back on)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.