Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1
my157
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Angry IPad Mini WIFI Disconnect Issues

I have had my IPAD mini for over a month now. From the beginning I have had problems with the wifi disconnecting from the network. I thought that this problem would be corrected via a software update. It has not. I have never had this problem with my original IPad. I contacted Apple support today and they wanted me to completely reset my mini to see if the problem was a software problem. They said that if this did not fix the problem then I could go to the Apple store and they could determine if the problem was a hardware related.



I have to completely reset up my mini and reload all of my Apps and documents if my mini is reset. It seems to me that this is another Apple quality problem that they are choosing to inconvenience and jerk around their customers rather than acknowledge. At this point, I very much regret purchasing the mini rather than the Amazon Fire. I paid quite a bit more expecting a higher quality device that would be less time consuming for me to transfer my existing apps and documents. I think that Apple is going the way of the US auto industry in the 70s. Putting out poor quality products and denying quality problems.



The IPad mini definitely has a wifi disconnect problem that Apple is not acknowleging. I am recommending to my friends that they go with one of the Android tablets. Less money, better quality.
my157 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:59 PM   #2
kevroc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Well you can restore via itunes/icloud, so you don't have to start from scratch.

As far as Android tablets, they have their share of glitches too, there is no perfect device out there. I know it can be frustrating dealing with device glitches/shortcomings like this, but I find the iPad less frustrating that others
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
MT0227
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by my157 View Post
The IPad mini definitely has a wifi disconnect problem that Apple is not acknowleging.
It's clear you are having a problem, and that's too bad. Mine works perfectly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by my157 View Post
I am recommending to my friends that they go with one of the Android tablets. Less money, better quality.
__________________
17" MBP 2.8 C2D (Hi-Res) | 24" iMac 2.96 C2D | iMac DV PPC 750 "G3" | Macintosh SE/20 | 64GB iPad (WiFi) | iPhone 4 | iPod 80GB Gen 5 | Airport Extreme | Airport Express X 2
MT0227 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:19 PM   #4
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
It's not a widespread issue as mine works. I connect it to a variety of networks like 802.11 G, N, and even enterprise 802.11x networks. No issues. It sucks you have these problems but no matter how good/bad Apple's QC is, there will always be a defective unit somewhere.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Mine drops connection but it is probably the network being unstable. I connect at B&N, libraries, Panera, etc. I got what I paid for, free wifi, but I cannot draw a conclusion it is the Mini in my situations.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:26 PM   #6
taipan61
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: corner starbucks
it sounds like your mini has an issue, take it back and get a new one
from what you've written it sounds like they are all to happy to do this, so i don't see how they are jerking you around, try getting a nexus worked on by google...

i've had android tablets, they have the same build issues (and more) than apple
taipan61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030
 
NutsNGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
If your router is a Netgear, it's the router.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:31 PM   #8
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
If your router is a Netgear, it's the router.
Funny, ALL of my routers are Netgear and I have zero problems. I generally regard Netgear as the best non-Apple brand of routers.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:41 PM   #9
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030
 
NutsNGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Funny, ALL of my routers are Netgear and I have zero problems. I generally regard Netgear as the best non-Apple brand of routers.
That is funny, as I've had nothing but problems with mine since iOS6 devices started appearing. And it seems Netgear are aware of this also.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...ues-with-ios-6

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by my157 View Post
Less money, better quality.
Incidentally, I imagine your friends will definitely agree with you on your first point. Second, no.
NutsNGum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:51 PM   #10
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
That is funny, as I've had nothing but problems with mine since iOS6 devices started appearing. And it seems Netgear are aware of this also.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...ues-with-ios-6
I can't vouch for every single Netgear router out there but I have two WNDR3400 N600 routers. I'm running dual-band N at 5GHz and single-band G at 2.4Ghz with WPA2-PSK AES passwords. These are default settings and I have zero problems. I seem to remember most of the problems regarding routers and WiFi connectivity issues was related to the password encryption standards ( if you use WPA2-PSK AES, TKIP or both).
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Aspasia
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
Quote:
Originally Posted by my157 View Post
I have had my IPAD mini for over a month now. From the beginning I have had problems with the wifi disconnecting from the network. I thought that this problem would be corrected via a software update. It has not. I have never had this problem with my original IPad. I contacted Apple support today and they wanted me to completely reset my mini to see if the problem was a software problem. They said that if this did not fix the problem then I could go to the Apple store and they could determine if the problem was a hardware related.

I have to completely reset up my mini and reload all of my Apps and documents if my mini is reset. It seems to me that this is another Apple quality problem that they are choosing to inconvenience and jerk around their customers rather than acknowledge. At this point, I very much regret purchasing the mini rather than the Amazon Fire. I paid quite a bit more expecting a higher quality device that would be less time consuming for me to transfer my existing apps and documents. I think that Apple is going the way of the US auto industry in the 70s. Putting out poor quality products and denying quality problems.

The IPad mini definitely has a wifi disconnect problem that Apple is not acknowleging. I am recommending to my friends that they go with one of the Android tablets. Less money, better quality.
My goodness. Just because you are having a disconnect problem does not mean the issue is universal or that Apple is producing "poor quality products."

I had a similar problem with my iPod touch 5G (all other Apple products connected to my home network instantly). I solved it by forgetting my network, then typing the name of my network in the "other," section, adding my password, and then instructing it to "renew lease."

That permanently solved the issue for me. You've got nothing to lose by trying it.
Aspasia is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:07 PM   #12
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
So... you had an issue with your product and the manufacturer is offering to help resolve the issue. This issue is also limited to your particular unit and not widespread across many units. Tell me again what the problem is?
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by my157 View Post
I have had my IPAD mini for over a month now. From the beginning I have had problems with the wifi disconnecting from the network. I thought that this problem would be corrected via a software update. It has not. I have never had this problem with my original IPad. I contacted Apple support today and they wanted me to completely reset my mini to see if the problem was a software problem. They said that if this did not fix the problem then I could go to the Apple store and they could determine if the problem was a hardware related.



I have to completely reset up my mini and reload all of my Apps and documents if my mini is reset. It seems to me that this is another Apple quality problem that they are choosing to inconvenience and jerk around their customers rather than acknowledge. At this point, I very much regret purchasing the mini rather than the Amazon Fire. I paid quite a bit more expecting a higher quality device that would be less time consuming for me to transfer my existing apps and documents. I think that Apple is going the way of the US auto industry in the 70s. Putting out poor quality products and denying quality problems.



The IPad mini definitely has a wifi disconnect problem that Apple is not acknowleging. I am recommending to my friends that they go with one of the Android tablets. Less money, better quality.
Day one Mini owner, never seen a drop in wifi once. Try resetting network settings only, not the whole iPad. None of my friends have had any issues either , some even being 3 or 4 thick walls away from a router in work. It's either your router or that particular device. Try the Genius Bar....or go Amazon, we don't want you having regrets, now, do we?
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:24 PM   #14
djpirate
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
[iPad Mini] IPad Mini WIFI Disconnect Issues

The issue is a Hardware issue and I have fixed it by resetting my encryption on my router. I have changed the setting to WEP and then manually set the network name and password on my iPad mini. It has not dropped off once since I have made the change.
djpirate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #15
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Disconnect while you're using it, or after you turn it off and then back on? My first Apple product was an iPod 5G, and it disconnected from my Netgear router each time the device was turned off. A quick look at Apple Support site provided the answer: go to Setting/ Network and click on Other. Type in the name of your router and enter password. Never failed to reconnect after that, and all of my Apple devices are connected this way. That would help if you're failing to reconnect, and not suddenly loosing your connection while using the iPad.

Edit: I didn't see djpirate's post above mine, but he's doing the same thing as me, except I didn't change my router's encryption.
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad mini wifi/Internet issues leitmotif iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jul 2, 2013 02:18 PM
iPad Mini: iOS 6.1 iPad mini wifi issues Woomy123 iPad 13 Feb 2, 2013 08:14 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Wifi Issues atomicpete iPad 4 Jan 8, 2013 09:18 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Wifi issues ilovemyibook iPad 17 Jan 4, 2013 04:06 PM
iPad Mini WiFi Issues ... You Are NOT Alone txa1265 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jan 3, 2013 09:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC