Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
How can I just get everything back to the old days ? I just want to plug my stuff in and sync it. How can I disable iCloud completely, delete what I have on iCloud and only sync stuff when I plug in?

----------

I am restoring both my iPad and iPhone back to factory settings and choosing not to enable iCloud. Think this will do the trick?

idkmybffjon

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
what are you having problems with. i find iCloud to be absolutely effortless. after the initial setup everything works exactly as advertised. what can i help you with? i don't want you to miss out.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not sure what the problem is, but if u hate it that much go in your settings and turn it off.

ginitica

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
I'm having a lot of trouble too. I have mobile me and have all my documents (PDF's Included) in various folders. I find that I can't do that with iWork. I am a college student and desperately need access to ALL of my documents. Any suggestions?

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
I'm having a lot of trouble too. I have mobile me and have all my documents (PDF's Included) in various folders. I find that I can't do that with iWork. I am a college student and desperately need access to ALL of my documents. Any suggestions?

Move them to iWork in iCloud.

OR

Move them to iWork.com

OR

Dropbox.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Icloud mail doesn't work well for me. It's easy to take the functionality of Google mail for granted, but when you try Icloud you really appreciate how well Google mail works.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Icloud mail doesn't work well for me. It's easy to take the functionality of Google mail for granted, but when you try Icloud you really appreciate how well Google mail works.

Actually no, I switched from Gmail around when iCloud launched and aside from some week 1 not sending/receiving email hiccups (servers overloaded I guess?) everything worked flawlessly. Now obviously this is all opinion but all the main features in iCloud are their and i'm happy with it.

/my thoughts

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Actually no, I switched from Gmail around when iCloud launched and aside from some week 1 not sending/receiving email hiccups (servers overloaded I guess?) everything worked flawlessly. Now obviously this is all opinion but all the main features in iCloud are their and i'm happy with it.

/my thoughts

Works well with pages, but mail hasn't been perfect. When I log in to the Icloud email online, searching for text in old mail is almost impossible. It goes on and on searching and then it times out. Gmail doesn't do that.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I definitely would not want to waste my icloud storage on mail. They need to get around to syncing videos!

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Works well with pages, but mail hasn't been perfect. When I log in to the Icloud email online, searching for text in old mail is almost impossible. It goes on and on searching and then it times out. Gmail doesn't do that.

Really? I've heard that from a bunch of people but its never been an issue sorting through the thousands of emails on iCloud.com for me. My main issues I've had (and again these aren't huge) are the times it takes to sync iCloud Tabs (from iOS device to Mac, Mac to iOS device works fine) and syncing Podcast playtimes. But it's all to do with saving battery not an issue with iCloud itself per say. Otherwise it's been perfect!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm having trouble with iCloud duplicating my Safari bookmarks frequently. Annoying. :mad: Other than that, iCloud works great for what I use it for. The key with iCloud is being aware of its limitations.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I'll admit to being confused about the various tentacles of icloud... I think it syncs my purchases and maybe my contacts? Other than that I plug the stupid box into the other stupid box and sync all my ****.

LarsenR

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Yeah, FWIW you will hear a lot of "it works flawlessly," and "don't see what YOUR problem is cause it is EASY..." Well, that may be true for some folks but there ARE lots of people having significant and difficult to solve problems (myself included). iCloud seems to work really well for the native ios stuff but it has major problems with iwork syncing. Pages seems to work "best" with icloud but Key and Num have even more serious bugs.

Personally, I have decades of systems building and programming experience and I was and am unable to get iwork to function properly (read: at all) with icloud and syncing with my iphone 4 and ipad 3g (both ios 5.1.1). Despite the Apple requirement of only ios 5 the geniuses (multiple) at the Apple store kinda shrugged, admitted their product failings and suggested an ios6 update (not OK for a number of reasons). Basically Apple doesn't stand behind their software offerings the same way they warranty their hardware.

BTW, the "geniuses" repeatedly recommend Dropbox despite their corporate marketing that if you buy iwork then icloud will sync your workflow... Go figure.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
iCloud is happiest when you are NOT plugging things in. That's where you're going to screw yourself.

I haven't plugged my iDevice into my Mac in months.

Photos are synced via Photostream
Music is kept in sync via iTunes Match

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.