Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yingyangryder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Hi everyone, this is my first post so I apologise if I am in the wrong section.

Anyway, I've always been a windows person until recently. I am looking into buying a Macbook of some kind to accompany me next year and I rather fancy the MBA. My price range is approximately £1100 ish but I can stretch to about £1300 if totally necessary although I would rather not.
I already have a beast of a desktop that runs all of the software that I use to create my University work but ideally I would like the mac to be able to do the following as I may possibly be moving to Japan next year and I cannot bring my desktop with me. So portability is relatively important.

The list:
Basic tasks, word processing, presentations, interweb surfing etc.
Editing video (quite heavily, I will be shooting in 1080p or 720p 60FPS most of the time)
Blogging
Editing photos (captured from a DSLR)
Basic 3D modelling
Basic/Light animation
Very light gaming (E.g. RTS games from back in the day)

Some programs that are a necessity for me are:
Adobe Photoshop
Word/Excel etc.
Autodesk Maya
Autodesk 3DS Max (I am aware I would need a windows partition for this)
Possibly some applications that will allow me to program. (Something I may take up in my spare time)

I am doing a games design degree, and if I do move to Japan, I will be there as a teacher for a while so I would like to do some Game Design related stuff in my spare time.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
You are asking for a desktop-replacement machine, not an ultra-portable computer. The MacBook Air is NOT the computer for you.

A MacBook Pro with some sort of external RAID storage will be your only choice for 1080p60 editing. SSDs might be able to keep up, but there is a limited amount of storage, especially with a £1300 limit.

If you're a game developer, as much as this hurts me to say this, you might want to stick with a Windows computer. I just see too many "red flags" with your requests in reference to speed of disk storage, amount of disk storage, needing Windows for certain applications, etc.

yingyangryder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Hmmmm I thought as much I was hoping you wasn't going to say that lol
However thank you for your honest opinion.
I must mention that next year my degree will be finished so unless my career is within the industry, the games design aspect won't be too paramount.
Also I meant 1080p or 720p 60FPS. Not 1080 p 60 FPS :) sorry for the confusion. The only time I will be using 60FPS is with 720p.
I probably could stretch my budget, but I feel the price of a Macbook Pro w/ Retina is unjustified.
If I do move abroad, my games development work would take a back seat but I'd still like to do something now and again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.