Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I'm getting an iMac next month and want to know everyones opinion on wireless printers and which one would be best for me. A few things i'm looking for:

- Not that big, has to be able to fit on my desk and not take up a huge space
- Good quality for pictures
- Decent looking/compact/not bulky
- Wireless

I was looking at a few HP ones but I honestly have 0 knowledge of printers and which one I should consider. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
This may be larger than what you are looking for, but I have had great results with an Epson Workforce 845. This is a multi-function color inkjet with convenient copying function, auto duplexing, etc. Features very large and economical ink cartridges. It has been in service over a year and I've replaced the B/W cartridge once and still using the original color cartridges. Very easy connection to the wi-fi network and the airprint has worked flawlessly. Highly recommended if you have the space.

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX

sraber

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Los Angeles
sraber would you mind updating us w/ your actual usage thoughts after you have some time w/ this?

I have it saved in my Amazon cart, it looks like it fits my needs but it would be nice to get a McRumors member input w/ this.

Agile55, I downloaded the driver from Epson as i have no CD reader. (Easy, no fuss download.) It was a breeze setting up. It found my network and connected without any drama, and printed a test copy. I am using cheap paper, not photo quality paper, but it is still acceptable for me. I leave the printer hidden away in another room to keep the clutter away from my desk. I would recommend you purchase this fine printer. :D

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
HP Envy 120? 110?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have to say the HP Envy 120 is definitely a good looking printer. Sleek design and seems very compact. I'll have to look more into the reviews for it though.

artvandelayIII

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
The Wirecutter is a great resource for figuring out what to buy. Here's their printer roundup: Printers on The Wirecutter
A hearty second to that.

I'd also add that, unless you NEED color, consider an inexpensive laser printer for better reliability and much lower cost/page than any inkjet.

The Brother HL-2270DW that Wirecutter lists as their pick is great. Been using mine for a year now without a single jammed page yet.

For photo prints, I would actually suggest sending them off to a photo place versus wrestling with expensive ink, special paper and color management.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Which printer did you decide on? I ordered an Envy 120 before Christmas, but it is out of stock and hasn't shipped yet.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
HP LaserJet Pro 100 M175nw here.. Little pricey, but HP is the best out there when it comes to printers.. Also, much prefer laser to ink.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have 4 HP 8600 Pro's at the office and they work great with our Macs, iPhones and iPads.

Yet I have yet to buy a printer for myself at home.
I have looked at the ENvy's mainly due to the nice looks but I may end up with an 8600 at home as well. I want to pick something up within the next month, decisions decisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.