Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Just wondering for those who went from an iPhone 3Gs to an iPhone 5 are finding the battery life with their new phone. I bought my wife the iPhone 5 for Christmas and was wondering if there is an improvement in this area compared to the 3Gs.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
More than likely if only for the sole reason that your 3GS battery is worn.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Well a new 3gs will have a better standby life, but it depends on your usage. Still in the end, a new iPhone 5 is a lot better in the long run.

Nilla Wafer

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Texas
I went from a 3GS to a 5 and have been very happy with the battery life. No matter what, I would have to charge my old phone at least once through the day. With my 5, I've gone about a day and a half before really needing to charge it. Of course that is with light use. Heavy use, I can make it through the day easy.

As someone else pointed out, the display can't even compare and was worth changing for that alone.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
Just got the 5 a few days ago. Did a battery cycle and here are the results. 3G first.
photo-2.jpg

5:
IMG_0102.png

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I was using a borrowed 3GS for a few months while I was waiting for the iPhone 5 after I sold my galaxy nexus.

The battery had been absolutely hammered and only lasted around four hours of usage meaning I would have to charge the phone once at night and top it up/charge it once throughout the day.

My iPhone 5 is almost fully drained by the end of my day but consistently gives me a very solid 8 hours of usage which I'm very pleased with.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
Bluetooth being on could make a difference as well.

My bluetooth was was usually on towards the end and I got about the same life out of the 3gs. I really don't want to turn it off.....gonna go through charging it fully a few times and maybe restore as new...not sure on that part yet.

My sleep awake button is loose and bluetooth is weird in my car too...probably the car although it is a 2013. If battery doesn't get better I might swap the phone out.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
Restored phone as new, and have had bluetooth off. No push. No location. Already did a power cycle.

Called apple care and they said the usage seemed low and did a diagnostic and everything came back fine. Going to give it over the weekend to see if things improve but overall the battery actually seems worse. I don't have any icloud features on either.

I don't have facebook or really play games on my phone. Internet browsing is usually on wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.