Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Uh.. None of what you said has anything to do with what I said.. Current Android phones have higher specifications and more features than the current iPhone. That is a fact, you can't argue that. That is just like me saying that current Windows laptops have higher specifications and more features, which is also a fact. I can also say that Windows desktops have higher specifications and more features, which is also a fact.

Apple has NEVER been a company about specifications or competing features. They give you what they THINK you need, and nothing more. They intentionally leave out features that most competing devices have, only to include it in their next device.

I'm not the one dreaming.
You are ...

There are SOME droids, all the high end models of each brand, with technical specs higher than iPhone 5, sure.
But this is very different than saying that EVERY android phone has, like you did.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
That's the thing with Android's high end specs. You show me a single game or app that runs better than an iPhone 5 version. I'm all ears.

Android is great, but such a resource hungry wasteful entity.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
You are ...

There are SOME droids, all the high end models of each brand, with technical specs higher than iPhone 5, sure.
But this is very different than saying that EVERY android phone has, like you did.

I said 'current' Android phones have higher specifications and more features, never 'all'. 'Current' means the latest that Abdroid has to offer. (S3, Note 2, LG Optimus, Galaxy 4, etc)

Come on, you have a 'Retina' screen, put it to use and read.

----------

That's the thing with Android's high end specs. You show me a single game or app that runs better than an iPhone 5 version. I'm all ears.

Android is great, but such a resource hungry wasteful entity.

Prime example:
Friend has Note 2, I have iPhone 5. I play my 1080P 10-bit MKV and it struggles, severely. He plays the same file and it runs buttery smooth, even while multitasking.

Is that good enough?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I said 'current' Android phones have higher specifications and more features, never 'all'. 'Current' means the latest that Abdroid has to offer. (S3, Note 2, LG Optimus, Galaxy 4, etc)

----------

Prime example:
Friend has Note 2, I have iPhone 5. I play my 1080P 10-bit MKV and it struggles, severely. He plays the same file and it runs buttery smooth, even while multitasking.

Is that good enough?

I doubt you have an iPhone 5 since you are on every thread complaining about it and trying to put down everyone that likes their iPhones. If you do have one then sell it and buy your Note 2 that you are so fond of. Why stay with a phone you are not happy with?

----------

Uh.. None of what you said has anything to do with what I said.. Current Android phones have higher specifications and more features than the current iPhone. That is a fact, you can't argue that. That is just like me saying that current Windows laptops have higher specifications and more features, which is also a fact. I can also say that Windows desktops have higher specifications and more features, which is also a fact.

Apple has NEVER been a company about specifications or competing features. They give you what they THINK you need, and nothing more. They intentionally leave out features that most competing devices have, only to include it in their next device.

I'm not the one dreaming.

First attacking iPhones and now macs? My Mac is better then every windows PC I have had. I wouldn't talk about something that you have no knowledge in.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
I doubt you have an iPhone 5 since you are on every thread complaining about it and trying to put down everyone that likes their iPhones. If you do have one then sell it and buy your Note 2 that you are so fond of. Why stay with a phone you are not happy with?

----------

First attacking iPhones and now macs? My Mac is better then every windows PC I have had. I wouldn't talk about something that you have no knowledge in.

I own an iPhone 5 Black 16GB on AT&T. I am 100% happy and enjoy it. I'm just not blinded by the technology I own, I am open to all kinds of different brands and which ones do things better than others. I don't automatically think what I own is the best there is, because there is no piece of technology that does everything better than its competitors.

I can build a PC that will double your Mac on any benchmark, or any Mac, for 2/3 of the price. It's pretty simple actually.

I've owned two iMacs, three Mac Minis, and one MacBook Air. They are extremely good at being stable, but are horrific for price to performance.

What else do you want to add, since nothing I've said thus far has been a lie.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I own an iPhone 5 Black 16GB on AT&T. I am 100% happy and enjoy it. I'm just not blinded by the technology I own, I am open to all kinds of different brands and which ones do things better than others. I don't automatically think what I own is the best there is, because there is no piece of technology that does everything better than its competitors.

I can build a PC that will double your Mac on any benchmark, or any Mac, for 2/3 of the price. It's pretty simple actually.

I've owned two iMacs, three Mac Minis, and one MacBook Air. They are extremely good at being stable, but are horrific for price to performance.

What else do you want to add, since nothing I've said thus far has been a lie.

I never said you lied you were just making broad statements. Yes I can build a PC that has higher specs then a Mac and that would be a great computer far better then any of the manufacturers can make but just making a statement saying that windows PCs have more features isn't always true. Anyway I have my MacBook because it is stable and does what it needs to do (if I need to run windows I can do that in bootcamp). Yes some windows computers can have higher specs for a cheaper price but i prefer my ecosystem and stability. Also to me they tried to hard with windows 8 and in my opinion everyone will stay on win7 for the next 11 years like they did with XP.

By the way by broad statements I am referring to your statement about macs not iPhone. I have not tried to play MKV files on my iPhone nor did I think it was possible since iTunes doesn't play them.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
I never said you lied you were just making broad statements. Yes I can build a PC that has higher specs then a Mac and that would be a great computer far better then any of the manufacturers can make but just making a statement saying that windows PCs have more features isn't always true. Anyway I have my MacBook because it is stable and does what it needs to do (if I need to run windows I can do that in bootcamp). Yes some windows computers can have higher specs for a cheaper price but i prefer my ecosystem and stability. Also to me they tried to hard with windows 8 and in my opinion everyone will stay on win7 for the next 11 years like they did with XP.

By the way by broad statements I am referring to your statement about macs not iPhone. I have not tried to play MKV files on my iPhone nor did I think it was possible since iTunes doesn't play them.

Windows and Mac are different, so comparing them can't be done, unless by pure benchmarks, in which case my statement still stands.

Regardless, there are Apps that can play MKV files on the iPhone/iPad. Unfortunately, they are all almost garbage and can barely play my files, except for one App which is HD Player Pro. I've literally purchased 4-6 MKV players who claim to be able to play 1080P MKV files without any issues, but clearly I must either have some crazy high bitrate files, or the developers are lying to me. =_=

My friend asked me to give him the file and see if his Note 2 could play it, he wasn't trying to put the iPhone down, it was his first day with the Note 2 and he was just trying to benchmark it. He could play it without any dropped frames, and could multitask with the application on top of the others. I would never do that personally, but it just shows how much more 'horsepower' some of the other Android phones have over the iPhone.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Windows and Mac are different, so comparing them can't be done, unless by pure benchmarks, in which case my statement still stands.

Regardless, there are Apps that can play MKV files on the iPhone/iPad. Unfortunately, they are all almost garbage and can barely play my files, except for one App which is HD Player Pro. I've literally purchased 4-6 MKV players who claim to be able to play 1080P MKV files without any issues, but clearly I must either have some crazy high bitrate files, or the developers are lying to me. =_=

My friend asked me to give him the file and see if his Note 2 could play it, he wasn't trying to put the iPhone down, it was his first day with the Note 2 and he was just trying to benchmark it. He could play it without any dropped frames, and could multitask with the application on top of the others. I would never do that personally, but it just shows how much more 'horsepower' some of the other Android phones have over the iPhone.

Yes it has better specs but I believe the lag was most likely due to the app developers. If apple allow MKV files I am sure they won't behave like that since the hardware in the iPhone is good even if it is not as good as the notes.

Not supporting MkV files is a major problem with apple devices and is why I have resorted to us isn't a MKV to MP4 app on my Mac for my appleTV.

I agree with you on this one.

Your right about comparing macs with PCs since they are for different people. My Mac is better for me since I use it mainly for work related stuff and some video/audio editing where as windows will be better for gaming. My Mac has just the amount of power I need. Yes more expensive but also more stable and I don't have an antivirus using up resources (even though they have been getting less resource hunger like kaspersky).

But just like my iPhone, it does what I need it to do without any tinkering or problems (I had to install CM10 on my S3 to get it to run like it should have ran out of the box)

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I think they need to release a whole number like the 5 on even years, and odd years the S version like the 5S in 2013.

Most carrier's make you wait 24 months in between so it will not matter, either people will pay full price or wait every 24 months, with ATT I still can upgrade every 12 months so far, I heard that is going away to 18 months, but I usually go every 24

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Yes it has better specs but I believe the lag was most likely due to the app developers. If apple allow MKV files I am sure they won't behave like that since the hardware in the iPhone is good even if it is not as good as the notes.

Not supporting MkV files is a major problem with apple devices and is why I have resorted to us isn't a MKV to MP4 app on my Mac for my appleTV.

I agree with you on this one.

Your right about comparing macs with PCs since they are for different people. My Mac is better for me since I use it mainly for work related stuff and some video/audio editing where as windows will be better for gaming. My Mac has just the amount of power I need. Yes more expensive but also more stable and I don't have an antivirus using up resources (even though they have been getting less resource hunger like kaspersky).

But just like my iPhone, it does what I need it to do without any tinkering or problems (I had to install CM10 on my S3 to get it to run like it should have ran out of the box)

The iPhone doesn't not support MKV, just the normal media player. The hardware inside is cleared to handle MKV just fine, but now it's up to developers to implement a good encoding/decoding with multithreaded optimization, or multicore. Power Player, or whatever it is called, is complete garbage, yet it claims multithreaded optimization. HD Player Pro has the same optimizations, but plays with only a few dropped frames here and there.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

----------

Prime example:

Is that good enough?

Yeah, what a great idea to watch 1080P videos on a smartphone ... you surely are right.
The only reason to have higher specs on droids is to increase their appeal, otherwise they'll be all identical.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Yeah, what a great idea to watch 1080P videos on a smartphone ... you surely are right.
The only reason to have higher specs on droids is to increase their appeal, otherwise they'll be all identical.

Two reasons, since you are oblivious to common sense:

One, I'm not going to re-encode every video I have ever downloaded in my entire life. I download only 1080P files for a reason, they are BDRIP/COPIES if you will, usually using FLAC audio or some very high codec.

Two, when using video out from certain devices, I don't do it with the iPhone yet, but it would be pretty smart to play a 1080P file on a screen that has 1080P, ala a TV.

The BlackBerry Playbook can do everything I just listed buttery smoother with zero dropped frames, and while multitasking through HDMI out...

The only reason to increase the specifications on iPhones is surely for appeal too, since everyone wouldn't know which new shiny device you shelled out an arm and a leg for... These forums are rampant with idiots today.

Last edited by a moderator:

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I prefer the 12 month. With picture leaks of the iPhone 5 S already out, literally, I don't value my iPhone 5 as much.

Apple should give me time to enjoy my iPhone 5 for at least a little bit, before feeling like its out dated.

Well you pay alot of money for an so unless you are rich enough to keep buying new ones every few months logically you want time to enjoy the Iphone 5 before another model arrives.

Flagship phones only usually come around once per year even for Samsung and Sony. Course Apple may have changed strategy.

If Iphone 5S does arrive early more people will hold back if they know Iphone 6 is already a prototype.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
6 months is way too early and anything beyond 12 months is too long. 9-12 months between releases would be fine.

I hope the next iPhone is released in June, and I hope it's an iPhone 6 and not a 5S. I'm eligible for an upgrade in July, I don't want to have to wait until the Fall for a phone with LTE, Sprint's 3G is horrendous (0.00 Mbps at times), but they should have LTE in my area in 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.