Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Jnardis
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Can't get converted movie into iTunes

I'm using iFlick to convert an .avi movie to .mov. It looks like iFlick is doing everything correctly. I can even see the album cover after I finish the convert. The issue is that I'm not able to watch the movie or even move it to itunes (which is the goal) so I can later on watch it on Apple TV. Am I missing something? I did a search and some some discussions about iflick, but nothing specific came up about this issue.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:14 PM   #2
bluewooster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you but would like to add that I have been using the same workflow for a year now (makeMKV to handbrake and then Subler for subtitles and tagging) and, just lately, I can't import them into iTunes. They are playable in QuickTime but iTunes won't touch them. It just seems to be my newly ripped movies (past month) that aren't recognized. The older ones can be added.

Has something changed in the default settings of any of these programs or iTunes? Is anyone else having trouble? (I'm using Apple TV 3 preset)
bluewooster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:20 PM   #3
tootall
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Use HandBrake
tootall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:14 AM   #4
veda kruthi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
iFlick is now bit old version you are having much more better versions in the market, why dont you go for those software's? you are also provided tiler versions in there you can also try that.
veda kruthi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:46 AM   #5
mic j
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewooster View Post
I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you but would like to add that I have been using the same workflow for a year now (makeMKV to handbrake and then Subler for subtitles and tagging) and, just lately, I can't import them into iTunes. They are playable in QuickTime but iTunes won't touch them. It just seems to be my newly ripped movies (past month) that aren't recognized. The older ones can be added.

Has something changed in the default settings of any of these programs or iTunes? Is anyone else having trouble? (I'm using Apple TV 3 preset)
I am using the same workflow as you and am having no problem adding files to iTunes.

Versions:
MakeMKV: 0.7.8
Handbrake: 0.9.8
Subler: 0.18
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; iPhone 5s; AE; AppleTV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Jnardis
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
I am using the same workflow as you and am having no problem adding files to iTunes.

Versions:
MakeMKV: 0.7.8
Handbrake: 0.9.8
Subler: 0.18
Does Handbrake do everything? How come you have other applications like MakeKV and Subler, what do they do? Also is Handbrake free? I'm using a trial software now that seems ok, but takes a long time to convert about 45 min for a movie thats about 1.5 hours.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:18 AM   #7
mic j
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnardis View Post
Does Handbrake do everything? How come you have other applications like MakeKV and Subler, what do they do? Also is Handbrake free? I'm using a trial software now that seems ok, but takes a long time to convert about 45 min for a movie thats about 1.5 hours.
MakeMKV does an excellent job of decrypting and creating a "full quality" backup file.

Handbrake does an excellent job of transcoding the mkv to mp4.

Subler does an excellent job of adding metadata to the mp4 and, if needed (rare) various track modification.

All 3 are free. Yes, it takes a long time to do a high quality transcode.
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; iPhone 5s; AE; AppleTV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:51 PM   #8
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I'm having the same problem.

I have Handbrake output set to AppleTV3 preset. This used to import just fine into iTunes 10.

I "upgraded" to iTunes 11 recently and now the M4V files will not import into my library. I click the import function, select the file, click OK, and nothing happens. No report of success, no error, and no import.

Any ideas?
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:19 AM   #9
DarkGiftRadio
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey
 
Send a message via AIM to DarkGiftRadio Send a message via MSN to DarkGiftRadio Send a message via Yahoo to DarkGiftRadio Send a message via Skype™ to DarkGiftRadio
I'm having the same issue, I've used RipIt to convert over two dozen movies which are still showing in my library, then when I upgraded to iTunes11 it seems that the new Rip's I'm performing will not load up into iTunes, I drag them over as I have done in the past and nothing. Any ideas anyone??
__________________
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB Ram, 4TB HD 64GB iPhone 5
DarkGiftRadio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:43 AM   #10
apolkowski
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Poland, Warsaw and Masurian Lake District
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGiftRadio View Post
I'm having the same issue, I've used RipIt to convert over two dozen movies which are still showing in my library, then when I upgraded to iTunes11 it seems that the new Rip's I'm performing will not load up into iTunes, I drag them over as I have done in the past and nothing. Any ideas anyone??
I had the same. I found my rips in Home Video.
apolkowski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:08 AM   #11
Penquin79
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Thought I had the same issue with Hanbrake but discovered iTunes was importing them just into Home Movies instead of Movies. Look there. The latest version of Handbrake fixed the issue.
Penquin79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:48 PM   #12
PIX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
I'm having the same problem.

I have Handbrake output set to AppleTV3 preset. This used to import just fine into iTunes 10.

I "upgraded" to iTunes 11 recently and now the M4V files will not import into my library. I click the import function, select the file, click OK, and nothing happens. No report of success, no error, and no import.

Any ideas?
That's strange? I verified that this is working by dropping an M4V into iTunes 11.0.1 without issue. FYI: iTunes is compatible with MOV, M4V, MP4 because these formats are basically the same. Try renaming a MP4 to M4V or vise versa. I personally prefer MP4 so I have made this the default in Handbrake preference

Here is a simple video tutorial I created on trancoding/adding videos to iTunes 11:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua8Rh9BVmUU
PIX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:00 PM   #13
mic j
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIX View Post
That's strange? I verified that this is working by dropping an M4V into iTunes 11.0.1 without issue. FYI: iTunes is compatible with MOV, M4V, MP4 because these formats are basically the same. Try renaming a MP4 to M4V or vise versa. I personally prefer MP4 so I have made this the default in Handbrake preference

Here is a simple video tutorial I created on trancoding/adding videos to iTunes 11:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua8Rh9BVmUU
Most likely the import was just fine and what was really happening is that the imported file was being placed in the Home Movies folder (a place that was new to iTunes 11 and which nobody thinks to look). Can't begin to tell you how many people I have helped with this exact issue by telling them to look in the Home Movies folder. Also, just after iTunes 11 was introduced, most of the metadata taggers were slow to incorporate the new media type. I think most of them now work correctly.
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; iPhone 5s; AE; AppleTV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:17 PM   #14
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Most likely the import was just fine and what was really happening is that the imported file was being placed in the Home Movies folder (a place that was new to iTunes 11 and which nobody thinks to look). Can't begin to tell you how many people I have helped with this exact issue by telling them to look in the Home Movies folder. Also, just after iTunes 11 was introduced, most of the metadata taggers were slow to incorporate the new media type. I think most of them now work correctly.
Yep, that is exactly what happened to me.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:45 AM   #15
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
A movie goes into the home video section if it doesn't have a genre selected

In itunes right click the movie/get info & select a genre
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:32 PM   #16
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I have to say, I'm pretty unhappy with iTunes 11. Granted with any UI change I know there is a period of adjustment while I get used to it. But it's been quite a while now and I still feel practically crippled when trying to use it.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2014, 01:17 PM   #17
Snelette
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
files not in home videos in itunes

I have always gotten my ripped movies from Home Videos in iTunes and moved them to the Movies folder via Get Info. But for the last 5 movies, they have not gone in to Home Videos. I can't drag the .dvdmedia file into iTunes either. It just won't go. It's as if it is already in there but I just can't find it. Anyone have any ideas what might have happened or how to locate the movies in iTunes? TIA
Snelette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2014, 03:50 PM   #18
priitv8
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snelette View Post
I can't drag the .dvdmedia file into iTunes either. It just won't go. It's as if it is already in there but I just can't find it.
It would and should not go.
.dvdmedia is not a file, it's a folder (aka bundle/package) and contains DVD filesystem, meaning a MPEG-2 encoded movie split into 1GB sized files. Basically, it is a DVD rip, presented as a package by Finder.
As the things stand now (IMHO), iTunes only supports MPEG-4 Part 10 (aka AVC, H.264) encoded movies in mp4/m4v container files.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Itunes movie stopped Sdahe Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Sep 26, 2013 02:15 PM
Movie Clock: Finally (Hopefully) A Decent Movie App For Movie Lovers nrose101 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 3 Feb 12, 2013 01:11 AM
Car mp3 disk player doesn't read MP3s converted by iTunes eckndu Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jan 30, 2013 09:50 AM
ITUNES STORE MOVIES VS SELF CONVERTED DVD MOVIES-Which is better? Ip160Classic Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Oct 2, 2012 07:53 PM
Switch language of converted movie in iTunes The-Pro Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Aug 23, 2012 04:08 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC