Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
An update to getting my defective iPhone 5 replaced.

Originally I went through Apple Care to have the replacement delivered and then to send mine back. However, when I asked if a hold would be placed on my card, and was told no, it actually was placed and overdrew my checking account. Thus, I cancelled that, already really angry at this process.

Today, I took the nearly hour drive to my nearest Apple Store, and waited 40 minutes after my appointment time to be seen. I explained to the guy my frustration with the call and he blew me off, and didn't take me seriously at all. After going to the back, unfortunately he had none of my current model. He wasn't willing to work with me on shipping me one, or swapping colors, or sizes. Absolutely nothing, only to "try a different store, have a nice day."

I then drove to a different Apple Store, even more out of the way. to get the swap done.

Where are all the employees who are giving this customers chargers, replacement phones and brand new macbook pros for little issues? I'm and Apple fan at heart, but this experience has really rubbed me the wrong way.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I too have hard a hard time with a few Apple Store employees in recent months.

I'm not sure what's going on either but it really sucks as I've had a pretty fond image of Apple's retail staff until lately.

As far as the hold on the CC as far as I understood that was commonplace.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I too have hard a hard time with a few Apple Store employees in recent months.

I'm not sure what's going on either but it really sucks as I've had a pretty fond image of Apple's retail staff until lately.

As far as the hold on the CC as far as I understood that was commonplace.

Yeah I'm not sure.

I understand now the hold was common practice, the issue I have is: I asked if there was going to be a hold, and I was told no. If there was I wouldn't have even bothered with it.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
For future reference. If you elect to have Apple ship you a replacement you will have the MSRP value put on your credit card as a hold-no matter what they tell you. Also, if you don't have Apple Care they will also charge you $29 shipping unless you get explicit instructions from them that they will not charge you.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
For future reference. If you elect to have Apple ship you a replacement you will have the MSRP value put on your credit card as a hold-no matter what they tell you. Also, if you don't have Apple Care they will also charge you $29 shipping unless you get explicit instructions from them that they will not charge you.

Yeah I know that now, the hard way. :(

krashx7

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2012
Might as well contribute to this topic. I went to have a loose home button looked at. The thing was off and wiggled around quite a bit. The guy was really snooty with me and said he would try to "tighten" it up for me. He took it back and came back out exactly 3 minutes later and said he tightened it. What a frickin load of crap. Watch a few youtube videos on taking apart a 5 and you'll see how this is basically impossible. I went to another store and they swapped it.

I've been to the Apple store so many times now that I hate dealing with genius's.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Where are you all going? I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn and frequent the SoHo Apple store a lot and they've been nothing but great to me when I've come into the store with iDevice issues. Weird.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I have been to the Boulder Apple store and the flatirons one (live in foco) and have had nothing but awesome service (replacement phones or free laptop batteries out of warranty or a free logic board repair on a machine out of warranty)

Apparently you're luckier than I am. I was forced to drive to the flatirons store after an hour at the 29th street store because they didn't have any replacements in stock.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
One day, i'll write up a personal apple-ography of my crazy experiences with apple and their so called genius.

My fiance thinks i'm a lunatic for dealing with the crap i've dealt with, and keep coming back for more.

But the way i look at it is, once you get an iphone without any weird problems, you can be happy. And dealing with these problems is STILL better than having to buy an android phone. And don't forget those things are riddled with problems too. And what are you going to do when you have a broken android phone? Go fly a kite thats what.

Generally Genii are an easy going type. They'll mostly help you out and get you out the door.

But then you'll have those that think you're trying to scam their fathers company, and treat you like dirt.
I've dealt with a lot of both.

Its best to just keep calm, and try again another time.

And if all else fails, and you almost get into a fist fight with the store manager, call Customer Relations.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
I also had an awful experience. My screen clicked and my lock button was loose, so I went in to see what they could do. The genius took it to the back then replaced it. The replacement clicked worse than my first iphone. My mistake not checking in store, so I went back the next day.

The next day the genius brought one out and it had a nick on the back. I asked him if I could get a different one, so he grabbed another that was way worse. All kinds of dings, so I was like how about one more. The genius pulled his 5 out and said its going to happen as he pointed to his scuffed phone. I reluctantly decided to accept the first replacement. Kind of annoying that subpar phones have to be accepted because a genius thinks it will happen either way. $399 dollar phone and I have to settle for imperfections.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I also had an awful experience. My screen clicked and my lock button was loose, so I went in to see what they could do. The genius took it to the back then replaced it. The replacement clicked worse than my first iphone. My mistake not checking in store, so I went back the next day.

The next day the genius brought one out and it had a nick on the back. I asked him if I could get a different one, so he grabbed another that was way worse. All kinds of dings, so I was like how about one more. The genius pulled his 5 out and said its going to happen as he pointed to his scuffed phone. I reluctantly decided to accept the first replacement. Kind of annoying that subpar phones have to be accepted because a genius thinks it will happen either way. $399 dollar phone and I have to settle for imperfections.

No, you don't. You have every right to refuse, and get a refund.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who act like Apple has ruined their lives by forcing them to "settle for imperfections" when they have no intestinal fortitude whatsoever when it comes to BUYING SOMETHING ELSE.

I have said it before and I'll say it again: the fact that people still fawn over the device even AFTER they are put through all of these "horrors" is a testament to just how few REAL flaws this device has.

Yep, it scratches slightly easier. Yep, it may have a microscopic or miniscule mark out of the box. So WHAT??? The Genius (as jackassy as it was to say) was right in explaining that it will happen anyway.

Does it kinda stink that it won't stay flawless forever for all of our OCD friends? I guess. But if a few tiny imperfections are affecting your enjoyment of the phone GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE and don't let the door hit you on the way out... There's a reason why Apple is taking a harsher approach: they don't need to beg for business, they are selling them as fast as they make them. If an OCD'er looking for the "flawless" phone leaves, they probably figure they're SAVING money at this rate.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
No, you don't. You have every right to refuse, and get a refund.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who act like Apple has ruined their lives by forcing them to "settle for imperfections" when they have no intestinal fortitude whatsoever when it comes to BUYING SOMETHING ELSE.

I have said it before and I'll say it again: the fact that people still fawn over the device even AFTER they are put through all of these "horrors" is a testament to just how few REAL flaws this device has.

Yep, it scratches slightly easier. Yep, it may have a microscopic or miniscule mark out of the box. So WHAT??? The Genius (as jackassy as it was to say) was right in explaining that it will happen anyway.

Does it kinda stink that it won't stay flawless forever for all of our OCD friends? I guess. But if a few tiny imperfections are affecting your enjoyment of the phone GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE and don't let the door hit you on the way out... There's a reason why Apple is taking a harsher approach: they don't need to beg for business, they are selling them as fast as they make them. If an OCD'er looking for the "flawless" phone leaves, they probably figure they're SAVING money at this rate.

I was past my 30 day window. My first one was perfect other than the screen click issue. Kind of wish I never took it in. I just was sharing my experience. The imperfections won't ruin my experience just annoying that's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.