Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
This has probably been asked a million times over, but how are you guys doing it?

I can't seem to find an elegant solution that allows me to use OS X's native Address Book and iCal to sync to my iCloud account and back to my Hackintosh.

Right now I am using SOHO Organizer. There is considerable lag when creating calender events and just switching between calender and contacts function.

I searched the forum, found that the Snow Leopard hack doesn't work, and then found the Fruux service which still doesn't answer my problem, because Fruux replaces iCloud, it does not sync with it.

I've seen others also talk about using Fluid to create a web app for iCloud. I did that in Ubuntu a year ago and didn't like it because I had to log in then choose what I want.

Any Ideas? What's your solution to Syncing iCloud between computers?

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
This has probably been asked a million times over, but how are you guys doing it?

I can't seem to find an elegant solution that allows me to use OS X's native Address Book and iCal to sync to my iCloud account and back to my Hackintosh.

Right now I am using SOHO Organizer. There is considerable lag when creating calender events and just switching between calender and contacts function.

I searched the forum, found that the Snow Leopard hack doesn't work, and then found the Fruux service which still doesn't answer my problem, because Fruux replaces iCloud, it does not sync with it.

I've seen others also talk about using Fluid to create a web app for iCloud. I did that in Ubuntu a year ago and didn't like it because I had to log in then choose what I want.

Any Ideas? What's your solution to Syncing iCloud between computers?

I've been using Fluid, and I'm sure I've seen other solutions here. But for me, synching isn't a big deal.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have AddressBook synchronizing with Google. You can then add Google in as an email account which will add in Contacts, Calendars, etc.

You could probably just bring Google in as an LDAP server, but since I have a Google email account I just brought it in that way. AddressBook will also sync with Yahoo so if you have a Yahoo account instead…

iCloud automatically merges/backs up any contacts from different added accounts so it would work like this. Any changes made in AddressBook would reflect to Google which would then reflect to iCloud. Any changes made on an iCloud device would reflect to Google then back to AddressBook.

This is how it works with my iPhone. No idea how that would be handled as far as settings in other later versions of OSX, but it's how I keep contacts/calendars, etc synced between my Mac and my iPhone.

I carry it one step further though. I hate Apple Mail, so I use Entourage 2008 which is synced to AddressBook. From there…

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
I have AddressBook synchronizing with Google. You can then add Google in as an email account which will add in Contacts, Calendars, etc.

You could probably just bring Google in as an LDAP server, but since I have a Google email account I just brought it in that way. AddressBook will also sync with Yahoo so if you have a Yahoo account instead…

iCloud automatically merges/backs up any contacts from different added accounts so it would work like this. Any changes made in AddressBook would reflect to Google which would then reflect to iCloud. Any changes made on an iCloud device would reflect to Google then back to AddressBook.

This is how it works with my iPhone. No idea how that would be handled as far as settings in other later versions of OSX, but it's how I keep contacts/calendars, etc synced between my Mac and my iPhone.

I carry it one step further though. I hate Apple Mail, so I use Entourage 2008 which is synced to AddressBook. From there…

I like your idea. I've tried syncing google in the past however and the calendar was just a mess. Last I remember I could only add a calendar subscription and the subscription couldn't be edited.

Someone posted this here awhile ago:

iCloud Calendar sharing to iCal4 or CalDAV client
http://computing.physics.harvard.edu/icloud

Think you want to use CardDAV for the Address Book.

Yes this is what I was talking about.. The hack that only works on SL :(

Funny enough, on Leopard, using SOHO Organizer, I found the two server addresses to sync to iCloud but when you put them into OS X iCal or Address Book they both return an error saying they can't connect.

CalDav: p01-caldav.icloud.com
CardDav: p01-contacts.icloud.com

According to the blog, "Mac PowerPC", SyncMate is recompiling SyncMate version 3.6 for PowerPC. I just emailed their support to see if this is still happening.

http://macpowerpc.com/2012/11/05/syncmate-news/

Oh wow that's cool. See we are far from dead. I am noticing a lot of apps that I use are still universal.

Try Fruux, I use this and it gives step by step instructions for setting up (Calendar, contacts) on different systems. http://www.fruux.com - Oh and it's free...

Problem with Fruux is that it replaces iCloud, it doesn't sync or push changes to it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Funny enough, on Leopard, using SOHO Organizer, I found the two server addresses to sync to iCloud but when you put them into OS X iCal or Address Book they both return an error saying they can't connect.

CalDav: p01-caldav.icloud.com
CardDav: p01-contacts.icloud.com
Try this. p01-caldav.icloud.com/XXXXXXXXX/Principal/

The XXXXXXXXX/Principal/ part you can get from SOHO, the server path. iCal takes it (I tried it) as legitimate but it won't sync. :confused:

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
Try this. p01-caldav.icloud.com/XXXXXXXXX/Principal/

The XXXXXXXXX/Principal/ part you can get from SOHO, the server path. iCal takes it (I tried it) as legitimate but it won't sync. :confused:

It prompted me to connect anyways then told me it can't connect to server.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Problem with Fruux is that it replaces iCloud, it doesn't sync or push changes to it.

So long as you have one Mac which supports iCloud you're OK. Contacts synced in with Fruux will be also sync'd with iCloud on the machine which supports. Ditto with Calendars - Just add the Fruux Calendar to the iCloud sync ones and you get a complete story across all your devices (but you do need ONE that supports iCloud to act as the 'cross over'. I have my machines set up this way so I have Calendars and Contacts synced between my work Linux box, home G5 and MBP, iPad plus my Nokia N9 phone - Any change made from any machine is reflected automatically on every other device.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
So long as you have one Mac which supports iCloud you're OK. Contacts synced in with Fruux will be also sync'd with iCloud on the machine which supports. Ditto with Calendars - Just add the Fruux Calendar to the iCloud sync ones and you get a complete story across all your devices (but you do need ONE that supports iCloud to act as the 'cross over'. I have my machines set up this way so I have Calendars and Contacts synced between my work Linux box, home G5 and MBP, iPad plus my Nokia N9 phone - Any change made from any machine is reflected automatically on every other device.

I'll re-attempt. It's just that last time I tried using Fruux it did not push iCloud data to my iBook. All I noticed was that it only synced the Fruux calendar between the two.

How do you add the Fruux calendar to iCloud? and will this push the rest of my iCloud calendars to my iBook?

wobegong

May 29, 2012
I'll re-attempt. It's just that last time I tried using Fruux it did not push iCloud data to my iBook. All I noticed was that it only synced the Fruux calendar between the two.

How do you add the Fruux calendar to iCloud? and will this push the rest of my iCloud calendars to my iBook?

Actually I've double checked and you're right :( Apologies for that, I deleted all other calendars (to avoid confusion) when I set up Fruux ages ago and so at a glance looked like the one Calendar was iCloud and Fruux but actually as you say I have substituted iCloud with Fruux completely for Calendar and Contacts. Still it makes no real difference for me at least as I get a nice transparent sync between multiple totally different environments (PPC 10.5, Intel 10.8, Ubuntu, iOS6 and Meego (N9)). Again sorry about that - should have checked more closely!!

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Oh wow that's cool. See we are far from dead. I am noticing a lot of apps that I use are still universal.

Support got back:
Dear Michael,

Yes, there is a special build for PowerPC users only, for more information about this build, see:

http://macpowerpc.com/2012/11/16/syncmate-sync-your-devices-on-powerpc-2/

Expert version of this build can be purchased at a discounted price $29.95.
But I should draw your attention to the facts, that we do not provide fixes and tech support for old versions of our software, see:

http://wiki.eltima.com/policies/upgrade-policy.html

If you have further questions, do not hesitate to contacts us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.