Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wick001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Here's my story. I originally bought my first iPad 4 from best buy and returned it a few days later to get the Asus TF700 because I didn't like the iOS UI and thought Andriod would better suit my tweaking needs. The first Asus TF700 I bought had quality issues: You could clearly see the glue behind the Gorilla Glass didn't set properly and the screen was flickering. I exchanged it for a 2nd TF700, the quality was perfect but the overall experince was just so slow, and still had the screen flickering issue. So I returned it for the iPad again, now on my 4th purchase in about a week and a half.

However this iPad has one tiny imperfection on the side wall shown in this picture. My question is should I even bother exchaging this once again, or will they look at me like I have OCD lol?

Attachments

• IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 336
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    958.1 KB · Views: 393

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I don't think it's particularly noticeable, and I'm pretty sure if you return if for another one you're going to end up scuffing the new one immediately somehow ;)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you use the word "minor" then I say it's a non-issue. I can't see it really.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Here's my story. I originally bought my first iPad 4 from best buy and returned it a few days later to get the Asus TF700 because I didn't like the iOS UI and thought Andriod would better suit my tweaking needs. The first Asus TF700 I bought had quality issues: You could clearly see the glue behind the Gorilla Glass didn't set properly and the screen was flickering. I exchanged it for a 2nd TF700, the quality was perfect but the overall experince was just so slow, and still had the screen flickering issue. So I returned it for the iPad again, now on my 4th purchase in about a week and a half.

However this iPad has one tiny imperfection on the side wall shown in this picture. My question is should I even bother exchaging this once again, or will they look at me like I have OCD lol?

i would, you paid $499+ (depending on storage) for it. you should expect a perfect device out of the box

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Exchange it.

Seems to bother enough to take the time to post here.

Might look worst over time.

wick001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Exchange it.

Seems to bother enough to take the time to post here.

Might look worst over time.

Yeah, I just don't want to be "that guy". I've already been in there 4 times returning and exchanging. Does anyone know what happens to items that are returned?

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, I just don't want to be "that guy". I've already been in there 4 times returning and exchanging. Does anyone know what happens to items that are returned?

Yes, people that want a great deal like me buy it...I got my perfect open box 32 gig iPad 4 for $535 - $60 (black Friday) for $475 total...typing on it now...bring it back and someone else will benefit :)

That being said, take it back and get another...you made the mistake of not getting iPad from the start, live and learn

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I've own so many iOS devices and never had to return one for cosmetic issues, so what do I know.

The iPad Mini I got looks perfect. Don't have an iPad 4, so don't know what the situation is.

1251division

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Return it. It's unfortunate, and it will waste some of your time and probably shame you a little bit, but you will sleep easier once its taken care of. Just be happy it's not a root canal you have to get re-done!

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I would return it only because I have OCD and it would bother the hell out of me. I don't pay $650 for something that isn't in perfect condition. Now, if you accidentally scuffed it yourself and now want a shiny new one, then I wouldn't do it. That's just bad taste.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
If my $500-600 device had a scuff on it out of the box I would not feel guilty about going back to the store for an exchange. Why accept a cosmetic defect on an expensive product? What if the scuff was on the screen instead? The point is it's not supposed to be there. Period.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i would, you paid $499+ (depending on storage) for it. you should expect a perfect device out of the box

I have no problem with people wanting a pretty ipad, but I think it's hilarious this kind of thinking is prevalent now. Nobody takes a magnifying glass to buy a car for example. It's better to just say you expect perfection at all price levels.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You are certainly entitled, but it doesn't seem worth the time to me. I'd just put my own scuff on it within 3 days, so why bother going to the store?

If you have nothing to do or if you are some sort of perfectionist who can keep your iPad looking perfect 3 years from now, then I suppose it would be worth the time.

Also keep in mind stores are tracking return information in order to crack down on serial returners.

http://consumerist.com/2012/11/19/f...ave-been-tracking-on-your-returned-purchases/

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007

Too late, you already are "that guy!"

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

We factory erase them, discount them, and sell them.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

Really? Yeah you are definitely OCD on this. Not every device is perfect. This is a NON ISSUE.

I would suggest relaxing and to just enjoy your iPad.

Can we just dump posts like this in to an entire "Obnoxious first world problems thread"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.