Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
So they release the computer months late compared to the laptops and still need to update the computer to make it actually functioning properly. I was about to say they need to stay on top of their Mac line.

The issue was with the Intel HD4000 chipset. It was a problem with one of the CPU register's memory address. This was an Intel screw up, not Apple.

Other PCs and laptops which used the Intel HD4000 chipset also suffered this problem.

Get your facts straight.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
no worries, my mac mini still got color issues.

i do not spend the money on mini display port to HDMI cable. :( hoping 10.8.3 fixes it.

Color issue has been fixed in 10.8.3 Build 12D38 (Pre-Release) released on December 5th.

I can now use HDMI without blown out colors and without the screen blanking issue! :D

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Good to know Apple stays on top of, and fixes, those pesky little annoyances.

Given that the mini doesn't come with a screen and a significant number of people connect it to one via HDMI (often a television) this is considerably more than a pesky little annoyance.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Still doesn't explain the powered-on-without-a-cord possibility, and unlike a laptop running on battery power, as far as I know OS X has no ability to tell the difference even if your situation were the case.

(Obviously, these instructions were copied from a MacBook Pro or something, which is why I find it amusing. Unless they're hiding plans for a battery-powered Mini. Or forgot they still made desktops. :rolleyes:)

probably the legal department forced Apple to say this kind of stuff. protection from stupid lawsuits.

Exodist

macrumors member
probably the legal department forced Apple to say this kind of stuff. protection from stupid lawsuits.

LOL I worked tech support about 20 years ago. If your dont make things overly clear and straight forward there will be that one idiot that will try it, then blame others.

Reminds me of the person that called in blaming us on shutting their computer off. After what seemed forever on the phone, I had finally determined that had the plugin of their surge protector plugged back into its self. Sad part is they could not or would not comprehend why it would not work that way.. /cry blood..

Back on topic, been using a mDP/TB to DVI one-peice cable without any issues for a few weeks now. Hope this is a permanent trend..

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
This is probably a stupid question, but, what happens to those that never had the problem before?, will installing this patch make things worse?

I've had no problems in four days of use, but I do have colour problems when using HDMI > HDMI (fortunately in my case I don't really need that, I use the HDMI > DVI and another MDP > DVI for the second monitor).

micjack

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
This is probably a stupid question, but, what happens to those that never had the problem before?, will installing this patch make things worse?

I've had no problems in four days of use, but I do have colour problems when using HDMI > HDMI (fortunately in my case I don't really need that, I use the HDMI > DVI and another MDP > DVI for the second monitor).

This patch does not fix color problem afaik. If i were you, i will leave this patch until I have problem because:
1. I will not make things worse.
2. I still have this patch to make things better.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
Too early to say if it fixed my issue but honestly it was only an annoyance. That being said I purchase apple because they used to stand for quality and customer care, lets hope this doesn't continue to be habit with the staff shuffle recently.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
The issue was with the Intel HD4000 chipset. It was a problem with one of the CPU register's memory address. This was an Intel screw up, not Apple.

Other PCs and laptops which used the Intel HD4000 chipset also suffered this problem.

Get your facts straight.

True, my bad.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010

Get your facts straight.

If I knowingly install faulty roof shingles and they fail, who do you think the homeowner is going to come to? "Oh it's not his fault, it's the shingle manufacturer." :rolleyes:

Don't be naive. Apple knew about this problem and they still shipped them.

Last edited:

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Wonder whether all faulty units have been sold already, then I can order one tonight...

Patrick

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
+1. I really want to read lots of "firmware fixed it for me" posts so I can then get on and order one!

From what I understand it's a hardware problem with the 4000HD and I assume Intel is going to fix it. That means that at some point Intel starts producing 4000HD's without the problem. The question is when...

Patrick

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Not broken, don't fix it.

I have a Mac Mini and I will NOT download this update. I made the mistake of downloading the update of Pages and now I cannot name the document I am working on and the app will not open pages documents I made in the last 6 months and will not open any .doc word processing document.
the geeks never check their work and we suffer for it.:mad:

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
This seems to have fixed the issue for me. I haven't spent a lengthy enough time in front of my Mini to be sure, but so far so good.

My AppleCare rep actually called this morning to tell me about the update. It was rather frustrating having no one at Apple acknowledge the problem until the update was available. They wanted me to send the Mini back to them and get a new one (mine was CTO and not available for replacement in-store). I told them I didn't want to because Intel said there would be a software fix.

All in all, I'm glad it's resolved and I do love my new Mini.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I've had all sorts of problems with my 2011 base mini when hooked up through HDMI including random black and snow screens, even kernel panics on restart. Ever since I switched to thunderbolt with an adapter from monoprice, I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've been problem free for over 2 months now...

Out of simple curiosity...

Did you try switching to a different HDMI cable? It's possible the cable you were using simply wasn't up to snuff.

Or, given the kernel panics, you may have a faulty HDMI hardware on your particular unit.

----------

Reminds me of the person that called in blaming us on shutting their computer off. After what seemed forever on the phone, I had finally determined that had the plugin of their surge protector plugged back into its self. Sad part is they could not or would not comprehend why it would not work that way.. /cry blood..

Heh. I've actually done that. I didn't call tech support over it, though. In my case it was particularly tricky to diagnose, because everything had been working fine for about an hour since I'd plugged things in. (One of the steps in the 'chain' was my UPS, which apparently didn't have a little speaker to beep as a warning that you didn't have external power any more.)

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Out of simple curiosity...

Did you try switching to a different HDMI cable? It's possible the cable you were using simply wasn't up to snuff.

Or, given the kernel panics, you may have a faulty HDMI hardware on your particular unit.

I tried 2 HDMI cables with the same results. I did the extended hardware test a few times, passed each time. I also ran memtest several times, and that passed too. I guess it's still possible there's something wrong with my HDMI port, or possibly an incompatibility with my 2007 Samsung HDTV?

BTW, the kernel panics never happened when I was doing stuff on the mini, only when I rebooted every few days, and it only happened 30% of the time. Still not a good thing..

mwong61

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
The new firmware has not fixed the "crushed whites" poor gamma issue for me using HDMI to HDMI on my Samsung P2450.

Using the DP/TB port to DVI=>DVI solves the issue for me but I would
like to see a true fix and have an operational HDMI port for my new Mac Mini.

Michael-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.