Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamchris1990yal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I'm from New Zealand and will be in New York City then all over the USA for the next few months.
I wont be using my current mobile network as the global roaming charges are ridiculously overpriced.
I'll be purchasing an unlocked iPhone 5 in New York to use over the U.S.

I just wanted to know what would be the best U.S. network to go on?
I'm looking for:

- Reasonable prices
- Something with a good data plan as I will be using data more than texting/calling
- Good coverage all over the U.S.

Will I be able to use a pre-paid plan? I can't obviously go on any contract as I am from overseas and only in the country for a few months.

Thanks for any help! I don't know where else to go to ask and I don't know any people from America. :)

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I agree with Straight Talk. That's pretty much your only option for prepaid with good coverage all over the country and decent data speeds on the iPhone.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I have Straight Talk, and it works great in the East, but out West, I get a lot of dropped calls. I also have Verizon mifi, and it works very well, everywhere.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'll be purchasing an unlocked iPhone 5 in New York to use over the U.S.
Keep in mind that not all US carriers are GSM. IIRC, the CDMA carriers won't activate devices from other carriers.

Good coverage all over the U.S.
Coverage varies from market to market in the US and even within markets. You'd be best served by asking those in specific areas you're going to versus broad, sweeping discussions about coverage. That's precisely why the universal recommendation when shopping for a US carrier is "consider coverage where you need it most first".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.