Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Hey everyone, sometime In November I switched from Safari to Chrome.

Every night I shut down my Mac and start It up the next day.

Ever since the second day Chrome appears as a grey "?" In my Dock.

When I click It the regular Chrome Icon Is back. However the "Move Chrome to Application Folder" appears.

Then seconds later Chrome pops up like normal.

Please note I checked the Apps Folder BEFORE starting Chrome. It Is there.

And the (.dmg) Is fine.

I need to deal with this every single day.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I start Chrome from my Dock.

Then right click on the Chrome icon in the Dock and select "Show in Finder" (might be in one of the submenus depending on your Mac OS X version).
In what folder does the Finder go now to show you Chrome? To see which folder you are in, you can enable the Path Bar (visible on the bottom of a Finder window) via View > Show Path Bar.

PS: Since you mentioned the DMG, is it mounted when Chrome is running? If so, what happens if you want to eject it? And how did you install Chrome? Via one of the methods ("Application Bundles") laid out in the link I provided?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Although you could use the instructions above to check where the Dock icon is pointing to, the easiest solution is probably just to drag Chrome out of the Dock, then drag it back in there from the Applications folder. That way we can be absolutely sure that it's linked to the correct place :)

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Although you could use the instructions above to check where the Dock icon is pointing to, the easiest solution is probably just to drag Chrome out of the Dock, then drag it back in there from the Applications folder. That way we can be absolutely sure that it's linked to the correct place :)

Quoted, and repeated, for truth. Delete it from the dock, drag it back in from Applications.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Then right click on the Chrome icon in the Dock and select "Show in Finder" (might be in one of the submenus depending on your Mac OS X version).
In what folder does the Finder go now to show you Chrome? To see which folder you are in, you can enable the Path Bar (visible on the bottom of a Finder window) via View > Show Path Bar.

PS: Since you mentioned the DMG, is it mounted when Chrome is running? If so, what happens if you want to eject it? And how did you install Chrome? Via one of the methods ("Application Bundles") laid out in the link I provided?

Chrome Is In "Applications". And yes, the DMG is Mounted. I need to quit Chrome and then eject It for It to eject.

And I downloaded Chrome from Google's download thing. I don't think It's a App Bundle.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Chrome Is In "Applications". And yes, the DMG is Mounted. I need to quit Chrome and then eject It for It to eject.

And I downloaded Chrome from Google's download thing. I don't think It's a App Bundle.

That means, you do not run Chrome from the Applications folder, but FROM the DMG.
Quit Chrome, eject the DMG, drag the Chrome icon off the Dock (may have to hold down the CMD while doing so), go to the Applications folder (Finder > CMD+SHIFT+A) and drag Chrome from there onto the Dock, as Nermal already posted.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
That means, you do not run Chrome from the Applications folder, but FROM the DMG.
Quit Chrome, eject the DMG, drag the Chrome icon off the Dock (may have to hold down the CMD while doing so), go to the Applications folder (Finder > CMD+SHIFT+A) and drag Chrome from there onto the Dock, as Nermal already posted.

Okay everyone, thanks for all the help and It now works.

Can I delete the DMG without deleting the Chrome In my dock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.