Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allthingschris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Has anybody had any experience upgrading the drives in a Pegasus Promise RAID?

My current setup is the 6x2TB model, but I'm running low on space. I'm considering buying 4TB drives to replace each of the 2TB drives.

1) The cheapest drives are Seagate 4TB external drives. But conceivably I could just take these drives out of their enclosures?

2) The other alternative is 4TB Hitachi disks but they're considerably pricier.

Any thoughts, feedback or advice? Thanks in advance!

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Don't quote me, but I thought I read something somewhere about the R6 only being able to use up to 2TB disks to remain stable. Something about the firmware. I'm sure it will be addressed at some point.

joaoferro37

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Vogon Planet Destructor
I don't think Promise is using enterprise drive and if they really don't just get their cheap 4 bay TB RAID and swap out with Hitachi Enterprise drive.
Don't take any chances on the RAID.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Has anybody had any experience upgrading the drives in a Pegasus Promise RAID?

My current setup is the 6x2TB model, but I'm running low on space. I'm considering buying 4TB drives to replace each of the 2TB drives.

1) The cheapest drives are Seagate 4TB external drives. But conceivably I could just take these drives out of their enclosures?

2) The other alternative is 4TB Hitachi disks but they're considerably pricier.

Any thoughts, feedback or advice? Thanks in advance!

I just checked the Promise compatibility list. They list only the Hitachi 1TB and 2TB drives at this time. They also state they only recommend enterprise class drives.
In RAID storage system, we recommend user to use enterprise level hard drive, which has much better command timeout control and more reliable to vibration for critical application.

Personally, I would not use consumer drives in a RAID array. Your most conservative next step would be to buy a second R6 and chain them. It would not be cheap... but if you have that much data, then something must give.

A cheaper solution would be to get a cheap 3TB or 4TB usb drive an move some non-critical data (if any) to the slower devices.

/Jim

anais.leroux

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
I am about to upgrade my Pegasus R6 drives too, and I want to reuse the old ones as individual drives (placed in a dock).
But I am not sure how to do this.

Should I go into the Promise Utility and change each physical drive's setting to "PassThru configuration", and then take them out ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.