Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Anybody stuck in the iPhone 'S' model upgrade cycle? Obviously this applies only to people who upgrade their phones once every two years when their contract expires.

It is obvious the people in the 'S' cycle are getting shafted by Apple. Let's see:

iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 (rumored 4.8" Retina+ IGZO screen, a new A7 quad-core processor)

(vs)

iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S (NFC + 6-8 colors)

(I left out the original iPhone because it was the first iPhone and there are too many variables if you include that).

• People in the 3G, 4 and 5 cycles obviously get to enjoy the newest and greatest hardware first and for a full year before the 'S' folks get their hand on it.
  • Not only do their get new hardware in terms of the the outer shell first, they also get the processor upgrades the come with it, so it is not like they don't get a speed increase compared to the previous generation.
  • They also get other features first such as - 3G, retina display, front facing camera, LED flash for camera, larger 4" screen.

So I think the people in the 3G, 4, 5 upgrade cycle have had a distinct advantage over the people in the 'S' cycle. Thoughts?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I've own every iPhone model except for the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 3GS is better than the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4S is better than the iPhone 4.

Of course right, cause it's newer.

But not only because it's faster, but also has more memory, so tend to have one more iOS update than the non S version. The 'S' version also had a better camera and less problems.

I'm glad I upgrade from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS. I'm glad I upgrade from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S.

I'm personally waiting for the iPhone 5S and skipping iPhone 5 this time.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I don't think so, but, you could always sell your iPhone 5S when the iPhone 6 comes out for the same price as if you were to buy it breaking your 2 year contract.

When iPhone 4 came out, I got $400 each for my wife's and my 3GS. Before I deployed I sold my iPhone 4 for $600 on eBay.

That's how I upgrade my phones, this time I decided upgrading from a 4S to the 5 wasn't worth it, plus I'd hate to lose my jailbreak.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I've own every iPhone model except for the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 3GS is better than the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4S is better than the iPhone 4.

Of course right, cause it's newer.

But not only because it's faster, but also has more memory, so tend to have one more iOS update than the non S version. The 'S' version also had a better camera and less problems.

I'm glad I upgrade from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS. I'm glad I upgrade from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S.

I'm personally waiting for the iPhone 5S and skipping iPhone 5 this time.
Well, I said this thread only applies to people who upgrade once every two years.

Coming to what you said, the iPhone 4 is obviously better than the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 5 is light years better than the iPhone 4S.

Your post actually supports the point I made in the OP. People in the 'S' upgrade cycles get comparatively less feature filled upgrades than the people in the non-S cycle.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Well, I said this thread only applies to people who upgrade once every two years.

Coming to what you said, the iPhone 4 is obviously better than the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 5 is light years better than the iPhone 4S.

Your post actually supports the point I made in the OP. People in the 'S' upgrade cycles get comparatively less feature filled upgrades than the people in the non-S cycle.

Not really.

I would recommend the 'S' version. Tend to have less problems and have one more iOS update because it's faster and has more memory.

If you want the lastest and greatest, I would just upgrade every version.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
There has never been a bigger leap in functionality than from 3G to 3Gs.

I disagree. Only thing going for the 3GS was its new SoC which kind of made it more future proof for OS upgrades. But it terms of hardware improvements, there were just many things the iPhone 4 offered over the 3GS for the first time which a layperson could appreciate more on a daily basis.

Let's see:

3G to 3GS:
RAM - 128 to 256
Camera - 2 MP to 3 MP

3GS to 4:
RAM - 256 to 512
Camera - 3 MP to 5 MP (with 720p HD video)
Facetime front facing camera - None to 0.3 MP
Screen - 163 ppi to 326 ppi (Retina)
Thickness - 12.3 mm to 9.3mm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#Model_comparison

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
OP sounds slightly delusional. The rumored 4.8" etc etc we don't know exists ... that stuff doesn't come to light just because of a random rumor. "S" users aren't getting shafted. For example, I feel the iPhone 4S is a bigger improvement over the 3GS than the iPhone 5 is over the 4 and I bet others would agree. And I owned the 4 for over 2 years... Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion but there have been threads in the past making the same argument, no real need to start another one

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
How are people being shafted? Apple doesn't make anyone buy iPhones. You have a choice to wait until the next year to upgrade your iPhone. Just because you have an upgrade doesn't mean you HAVE to.

The 3GS is much faster than the 3G
The 4S has a MUCH better camera, way faster processor and gpu

While I agree with you that I think it's better to NOT be on the S cycle, I think your post is hyperbolic and misguided. No matter what phone you get, this year's model will be faster than last years.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
Anybody stuck in the iPhone 'S' model upgrade cycle? Obviously this applies only to people who upgrade their phones once every two years when their contract expires.

It is obvious the people in the 'S' cycle are getting shafted by Apple. Let's see:

iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 (rumored 4.8" Retina+ IGZO screen, a new A7 quad-core processor)

(vs)

(I left out the original iPhone because it was the first iPhone and there are too many variables if you include that).

• People in the 3G, 4 and 5 cycles obviously get to enjoy the newest and greatest hardware first and for a full year before the 'S' folks get their hand on it.
  • Not only do their get new hardware in terms of the the outer shell first, they also get the processor upgrades the come with it, so it is not like they don't get a speed increase compared to the previous generation.
  • They also get other features first such as - 3G, retina display, front facing camera, LED flash for camera, larger 4" screen.

So I think the people in the 3G, 4, 5 upgrade cycle have had a distinct advantage over the people in the 'S' cycle. Thoughts?

A Moronic Suggestion.

The iPhone to the iPhone 3G added literally nothing besides plastic and a 3g antenna. Nothing at all.

The iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS added a better camera (video capable for the first time), oleophobic screen, compass, faster CPU, faster GPU, 32GB Option, and much more. A signiflcantly more tangeable change. The iPhone 3GS still meets the minimum requirements for iOS6.

And yet, the 3G model was outdated much quicker than the 3GS.

iPhone 3G (shipped iOS2) --> obsolete by iOS 4 --> obsolete in two years
iPhone 3GS (shipped iOS3) --> Still running iOS --> 3 years and counting, till next major release of iPhone

... derp. 3GS to 4 was also a major update true, but this upgrade cycle is not predictable.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

(vs)

I got nuthin'

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I'd have said it's exactly the other way round.

The 3G had the same specs like the 2G, so the 3G capability actually slowed the phone down even more.

The 4 has the antenna gate issue, the 4S has that fixed.

The 5 has quality issues, maybe it's gonna improve with the 5S.

Edit: So all in all the S-versions seem to be improved versions that sport the same design as their predecessors and have most flaws fixed.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Wow, talk about delusion on the part of people suggesting the 'S' upgrades brought more to the table in terms of features.

All you guys are talking about are speed improvements and such, which you get with every generation regardless.

'Breakthrough' features have always been limited to the redesigned 4 and the 5 models:

iPhone 4 - retina screen, FaceTime front facing camera, first true point-and-shoot replacement camera on a smartphone.

iPhone 5 - 4" screen, LTE, all Aluminum design.

How can you argue against these features with what the 3GS and 4S offered?

I suggest you guys go look at the comparison chart I linked again.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
In terms of breakthrough features, the "non-S" models will always deliver. "S" models are supposed to retain the same external design while implementing under-the-hood improvements such as a better camera, a faster and more-efficient chip and a new exclusive feature like Siri in the 4S.

While the benefits may differ from each upgrade, I don't think you can possibly lose out even if you update to a "S" model. Every year the new phone will most likely be faster than the predecessor, in addition to hardware optimization, so that in itself is already a decent upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
I think people on the even non S phones are the ones really being "shafted." to be honest.

The S versions build on the previous versions and have less problems, and are faster/better all around.

If I wasn't in DIRE need of a new phone, i would wait until the 5S.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

(vs)

No one is "stuck" or getting "shafted" by AT&T. You can buy (or not buy) a phone whenever you want.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Upgrading from 4 -> 5 is a much bigger jump than 4S -> 5, that's for sure. But I think the point the OP is trying to make is that people who have non-S devices generally get earlier access to the next numerical jump (3->4->5->6...) since presumably they started their contracts earlier. Also looking from a big picture perspective, S upgrades are incremental versus number jumps which change everything from outside to inside. And my entire post is assuming everyone has 2 year contracts (this is true in the US but varies worldwide).

kailibur

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
i am in the "s" cycle, and currently on the 4s. however, i am satisfied, and have no need to waste more money next year in upgrading. i may even wait it out till the 6 or the 6s.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
S upgrades are by far the way to go. I've gone into detail on it several times, no need to repeat, but the poor saps are the ones on the even cycle.

The 4 is the wort "upgrade" I've seen. It offered almost no incremental power over the 3GS, which is why the 3GS and 4 are on the same end of life cycle.

And people who say processor architecture upgrades aren't a big deal clearly do not understand technology/future proofing. Buying a phone with 2 year old tech in it is not smart.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
S upgrades are by far the way to go. I've gone into detail on it several times, no need to repeat, but the poor saps are the ones on the even cycle.

The 4 is the wort "upgrade" I've seen. It offered almost no incremental power over the 3GS, which is why the 3GS and 4 are on the same end of life cycle.

And people who say processor architecture upgrades aren't a big deal clearly do not understand technology/future proofing. Buying a phone with 2 year old tech in it is not smart.

Actually the iPhone 4 isn't that bad a phone. It is the first Apple product to bring the ultra-sharp Retina Display, the first iPhone to introduce the metal-band for the antenna (screw the antenna-gate) and also a pretty decent 5 MP camera with flash. Although the chip may be similar, there was a boost from 256MB RAM to 512MB RAM, which is quite substantial.:cool:

Although I prefer the "S" models as well.. XD

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

I disagree, I thought the 4 was actually a good upgrade because of the screen. Like I said before I think the 3GS to the 4S was a bigger update than the 4 to 5... That being said I had antenna issues with the iphone 4 and plenty of dropped calls so go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.