Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You should wait for iPad 7
It will be much more powerful, much lighter, much better camera, much better OS, much better everything, same price ;)

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
It will be much more powerful, much lighter, much better camera, much better OS, much better everything, same price ;)

BTW which one are you aiming for iPad-17 ? Are you sure you will see the light of the day then ?

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

Really? You think the os will be better? Not likely, until iosX!

Buying the 4 is a losers bet. The 5 will have a greatly revised appearance, although I am not really confident the weight issue will change significantly in 5, it will likely be somewhat lighter. The question when it will appear? March or September. I think the ipad will update in march and the mini will update on a september cycle. That gives apple 2 ipad events annually

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Really? You think the os will be better? Not likely, until iosX!

Buying the 4 is a losers bet. The 5 will have a greatly revised appearance, although I am not really confident the weight issue will change significantly in 5, it will likely be somewhat lighter. The question when it will appear? March or September. I think the ipad will update in march and the mini will update on a september cycle. That gives apple 2 ipad events annually

That could be a Nice strategy from a Marketing, Sales Point of view But I do think that Apple will not so soon come out with a iPad-5 in March-13.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
This is simple and you're over thinking it way too much. The difference between the 3 and the 4 are minimal. It's definitely not worth an upgrade. Taking a $400 hit as you say, is not necessary. The iPad 3 front facing camera isn't bad at all and most people don't notice a difference between the two cameras. Just wait until the next generation comes out. Save your money. Trust me, you'll be much happier if you wait.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
isn't that a good fancy thing to have :)

?? Didn't understand ? what ? :(

The '$0.02' comment is an expression. 'Just my two cents' means 'just my opinion'.

On the issue of the iPad debate. Why not just use your iPad 3 for 6 months before the updated iPad (5) comes out? It will most certainly be better than the iPad 4, and I reckon it will likely adopt some of the design sense of the iPad Mini. Even if the camera is NOT updated, which I somehow doubt it will be (there's probably not a huge market for a 1080p front-facing camera - just my two cents), you'll still be left with a newer, nicer machine.

I'm in a similar predicament, as my wife wants my iPad 2 and I am kind of wanting to see what the iPad 5 has to offer instead of buying the 4. I think the iPad Mini looks great, and I'd quite like to have a similarly-designed iPad 5.

Last edited:

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
On the issue of the iPad debate. Why not just use your iPad 3 for 6 months before the updated iPad (5) comes out? It will most certainly be better than the iPad 4, and I reckon it will likely adopt some of the design sense of the iPad Mini. Even if the camera is NOT updated, which I somehow doubt it will be (there's probably not a huge market for a 1080p front-facing camera - just my two cents), you'll still be left with a newer, nicer machine.

I'm in a similar predicament, as my wife wants my iPad 2 and I am kind of wanting to see what the iPad 5 has to offer instead of buying the 4. I think the iPad Mini looks great, and I'd quite like to have a similarly-designed iPad 5.

Was there a market for 720P front camera ? Before Apple came out with it in the iPad-4 ? No? Apple creates and the world follows...So if Apple can upgrade the ordinary camera of iPad-3 to 720P why can't they upgrade the 720P to 1080P in iPad-5 once apple comes out everyone else will follow...So market gets created when the offering is there...

Just my $0.02 :)

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
I think you should wait unless you have money to burn. There is no point, the rumours are from pretty reliable sources and we should see the new iPad 5 around March 2012. iPad 4 was a rushed model basically to give a new connector. I have already seen discounted iPads by online retailers here in Australia. It appears that they are trying to get rid of it as fast as they can.

The iPad 5 will be tough to beat and bring the prices of existing iPads down a fair bit.

If there was a six months wait then sure you could have upgraded but upgrading so soon does not make sense.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Your iP3 and mine didn't magically turn into a turd overnight after the 4 was announced. IMHO, it's a waste of money to upgrade every time a new model comes out if your current one still works and does what you need it to do.

I remember reading a reviewer call the original iPad a computing appliance, and I think that's appropriate. People don't upgrade their refrigerators when new models come out, they buy new ones when their current ones quit working or redecorate their kitchens.

Unless the 4, or for that matter, the 5 has some feature that will make your life substantially easier or drastically add to the experience of using it, you're ahead sticking with what you've already got.

I'm thankful Apple brought out the 4 so early: it broke me free of the RDF and brought me back to real life, where I can appreciate what my iPad 3 still offers.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Your iP3 and mine didn't magically turn into a turd overnight after the 4 was announced. IMHO, it's a waste of money to upgrade every time a new model comes out if your current one still works and does what you need it to do.

I remember reading a reviewer call the original iPad a computing appliance, and I think that's appropriate. People don't upgrade their refrigerators when new models come out, they buy new ones when their current ones quit working or redecorate their kitchens.

Unless the 4, or for that matter, the 5 has some feature that will make your life substantially easier or drastically add to the experience of using it, you're ahead sticking with what you've already got.

I'm thankful Apple brought out the 4 so early: it broke me free of the RDF and brought me back to real life, where I can appreciate what my iPad 3 still offers.

They should start giving a like button in here :)

----------

Everybody is talking about the iPad-5 being on the lines of the iPad Mini design as if it was for sure gonna happen !!

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op i have bought every iPad on launch day and even myself couldn't justify getting the iPad 4,and it has nothing to do with money in my case. i also am on the side that the next iPad when ever it's released will be thinner lighter and more like the newer iPhone/mini.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
There WILL NOT be a 1080 front camera for AWHILE...networks cannot support the bandwidth...if thats your reason to wait, forget it, just get one now.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I've skipped the 3rd generation iPad and I think that the actual 4th gen is the real "iPad 3" as intended.

I'm not saying that 3rd gen sucks but it's already out of production, so maybe it was planned this strategy...

Now I would buy an iPad 4 but I'm a little bit scared of recent Apple's policy, will they release a new device every 6 months?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Once the iPad becomes thinner and lighter, it's going to rock. Most are expecting that to come with the iPad 5. If you can wait, I certainly would.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
If you want to get the "better", most recent version then you should do it......IF you can afford it.

That's the most important factor.

But to me, it wouldn't be worth it.

I bought an iPad 2 back in March right after the 3 came out because the price for the 2 dropped down to $399.

I just bought the 4 for X-Mas as a gift to the family because my kids (and wife) are always fighting over the 2.

Again, you should do whatever you can afford. If I bought the 3 and only a couple of days later the 4 came out, I'd be mad, but it wouldn't be worth the money for me to upgrade. I'd wait for the 5 to come out and see what they have done to make it better than the 4.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
There WILL NOT be a 1080 front camera for AWHILE...networks cannot support the bandwidth...if thats your reason to wait, forget it, just get one now.

Interesting piece of information...is there a big difference in the Bandwith a 720P camera uses and a 1080P camera uses ?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Interesting piece of information...is there a big difference in the Bandwith a 720P camera uses and a 1080P camera uses ?

There is a huge file size difference between a video shot at 1080 and that same video converted to 720. The same will be true for video chatting. A better uestion is why you are fixated on a 1080P front camera. Its not going to make much of a difference when video chatting on a 10" screen: you will have downsampling and compression artifacts messing up the image. A 720 camera is more than sufficient for video chatting.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have an iPad 3 that I bought on launch day, and I could afford the iPad 4 if I wanted, but I'm skipping it. As others have said, the iPad 5 would likely be thinner and lighter. The 4 does have better CPU/GPU, and as the OP notes, a better camera, but for me, it's just not worth upgrading. Instead, I bought a mini, which I'm now using alongside my 3.

But I think this is a good example of why one shouldn't buy any Apple products before a major announcement. Apple can always surprise us by updating a product that didn't seem like it was due for an upgrade.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I have an iPad 3 that I bought on launch day, and I could afford the iPad 4 if I wanted, but I'm skipping it. As others have said, the iPad 5 would likely be thinner and lighter. The 4 does have better CPU/GPU, and as the OP notes, a better camera, but for me, it's just not worth upgrading. Instead, I bought a mini, which I'm now using alongside my 3.

But I think this is a good example of why one shouldn't buy any Apple products before a major announcement. Apple can always surprise us by updating a product that didn't seem like it was due for an upgrade.

But there's also something to be said for having a little bit of prudence and not rushing out and standing in line on launch day, especially if you're a MR junkie. If it's a completely new (re)design with the new IGZO technology, it may behoove you to wait a few weeks after release to see what the first adopters are saying about it.

And the truly smart purchasers delay gratification to pick up the prior model off of CL from the 'newest and shiniest' bunch or the apple refurb store...for a substantial discount. The true winners from the iPad4 launch were the people who got like new 3's for 75% or less of the original MSRP.

Last edited:

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
They should start giving a like button in here :)

----------

Everybody is talking about the iPad-5 being on the lines of the iPad Mini design as if it was for sure gonna happen !!

There is no other compelling reason to release an iPad 5, it is a fine piece of engineering and does most things you wish to on an iPad. The main reason behind the Apple's strategy is to keep the competition engaged in catch up game. Nexus 10 and Windows Surface are threats to the iPad. How do you keep beating them? A slimmer and lighter iPad will almost kill the competition.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.