Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Not sure I expect a solution, but its quite annoying how long it takes to cache my media library on my iPad 4 compared to using my ATV 3. It takes about 3 seconds to connect and populate my iTunes media library on the ATV, vs about 1-2 minutes each time I open the "Video" app on the iPad. This has to be recached if the app closes for a period of time. Both are connected via wifi accessing content from the same Win 8 PC running the latest version of iTunes 10.

Is it too unreasonable for me to expect apple to make home sharing work as well on an iPad as it does on an ATV?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
no help/support but i noticed this too.

Very annoying. Sometimes I want to watched a Ripped movie but wife wants to watch TV so I go to use the iPad...and it is incredibly SLOW, then crashes and has to try again. I only have iPad2 and iPhone 4 so thought that was the hiccup area.

Also hate that my iMac cannot simply wake up, I need to go to the basement, shake the mouse to wake it then i can use Home Sharing.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Also hate that my iMac cannot simply wake up, I need to go to the basement, shake the mouse to wake it then i can use Home Sharing.

If you often stream to iOS devices, you could go for the UPnP (or SMB - I'd prefer the former) route instead. No need to keep an iMac powered on all the time - a not at all power hungry, cheap NAS drive will do.

(More info on iOS and UPnP: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1503346/ )

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
interesting...but the dilemma would still be there for AppleTV correct?
in the event that i want to use that?

and seems another expense though I need to read it more thoroughly. Thanks for the link.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Here's a thread that talks about waking up an iMac remotely using atv, which should also apply to ipad:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1346716/

If I was running a Mac as my iTunes server I'd hammer out a solution for you, but I'm running a PC for that which I only shut off while gone for long periods.

P.s. I also experience frequent failed connections from the iPad to iTunes home share library. Sometimes I even have to quit iTunes and reboot the iPad to avoid an endless load time while connecting from the iPad. It should work as well as it does from Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.