Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

INTERNETUAL

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Long story short: ghosting, overheating, dead pixels, bending aluminum frame (and no I did not sit on it), right-hand ports dead (sd card slot, HDMI and usb 3.0), loose/falling screws...

----------

Two words for you bud, APPLE CARE. Use it, otherwise quit complaining because you're too lazy to get a faulty computer replaced...or...you caused the issues yourself...you have no excuse.

INTERNETUAL

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
By the way, for the ones having issues getting the updates to install or are not showing up in the Adobe Updater, you may need to go to adobe's website and update the updater. I had to do this, as for some odd reason the updater never updated itself. Once you update it, it should work fine.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Just a useless update for me and my 27" iMac. The best I could hope for is the elements in the apps look better when enlarged.

Ryan914

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Sydney, NSW, Australia
By the way, for the ones having issues getting the updates to install or are not showing up in the Adobe Updater, you may need to go to adobe's website and update the updater. I had to do this, as for some odd reason the updater never updated itself. Once you update it, it should work fine.

The update still isn't working for me, the Adobe Application Manager (which I just updated) still doesn't report any updates for Photoshop, and directly downloading the update from the website gives the error "This patch is not applicable for you." If it means anything I'm using the 13" rMBP.

Trust Adobe to release a borked update...

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Great, now PLEASE, Adobe, fix Dreamweaver. It's completely useless on my 2560x1440 pixel display because of the ridiculous lag and hanging. It's a known issue. It works perfectly on my 13" MBP.

By the way, update not showing up for me.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Don't get too excited guys.. it does look beautiful now but it has come at a price... the app is noticeably choppier.. i loaded a blank A4 page with one line of text, moving that around wasn't totally smooth, i then loaded a large file with lots of elements and it was even worse, not much worse, but worse.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
I am also not seeing any updates in the Application manager. Tried downloading the files to install manually, and both tell me that "This patch is not applicable for you." :confused:

stellahell

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
I didn't see the updates with the adobe updater, so I manually downloaded them. However, I got the "This patch is not applicable for you." error as others did when installing PS update.

Even worse all the menus in PS became grayed out. I couldn't even quit the damn thing. Was kinda freaking out since I'm a graphics designer, but I tried the old trick of setting my date on my MBPr back one day, and that seemed to fix the menu issue - just in case others experience the same panic as me :)

Oh and I just set the date back to the current one again, and the menus are still working.
Think I'll just wait until it becomes available through the updater...

Konstruktor

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Rotterdam, NL
How will saving work?

I couldn't find the answer elsewhere, so I've got a little question for the ones who already updated:

Let's say you're designing a website and need to save an image for the web. Do you now get the option to save it twice? E.g. retina and non-retina.

I figured that since you are now designing in retina resolution, there has to be an easy way to save on 'normal' resolution. or does this work some other way?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
Why is it that, when good news comes out for the rMBP's, it always gets bashed immediately. If you have a problem with your device, get it fixed or return it and get something else. I'm also having the image retention, graphics bugs, efi crap, but It's still far better than the regular MBP's. My display is getting fixed next week and graphics firmware is on it's way.

Doing vectors in illustrator is pretty now ^^
FINALLY!

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
I couldn't find the answer elsewhere, so I've got a little question for the ones who already updated:

Let's say you're designing a website and need to save an image for the web. Do you now get the option to save it twice? E.g. retina and non-retina.

I figured that since you are now designing in retina resolution, there has to be an easy way to save on 'normal' resolution. or does this work some other way?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

You don't get to choose. If you export for web, it saves it standard at non-retina resolution. I don't know if it's possible at the time to change dpi output settings, but can change image size to make up for it. I haven't really gotten in to it yet, so I could be mistaken.

Konstruktor

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Rotterdam, NL
You don't get to choose. If you export for web, it saves it standard at non-retina resolution. I don't know if it's possible at the time to change dpi output settings, but can change image size to make up for it. I haven't really gotten in to it yet, so I could be mistaken.

Would you be able to try it out? I'm really curious about it. Right now I'm running CS5.5 on my rMBP (which works fine if you keep al little distance ;)), but I'm thinking of upgrading when the apps are retina.

It would be 'weird' if you work in retina resolution, but have to save it in non-retina, e.g. 4 times the lower res.

Thanks!

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
Ugh. I can't get it working! :(

BTW, anyone hating on the RMBP has probably never used one.

Edit: Not applicable to me. YES IT IS ADOBE, I PAY YOU GUYS AND HAVE A RMBP :(

Edit #2: Okay guys, in Photoshop go into "Help" / "Updates ..."

This is the only way to get it working and lemme say, it's well worth it.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Long story short: ghosting, overheating, dead pixels, bending aluminum frame (and no I did not sit on it), right-hand ports dead (sd card slot, HDMI and usb 3.0), loose/falling screws...

It's called "warranty" buddy. :rolleyes:

My rMBP has no ghosting, no overheating, no dead pixels, no bending aluminum and no right hand ports dead, nor loose/falling screws.

On the other hand, I've gone through 5 6th gen iPod Nanos and now on my 2nd 7th gen iPod Nano. Had the screen replaced on my MBA, a faulty fan assembly on my first Unibody MacBook and never managed to get a satisfactory 24" ACD. Yet I'd still recommend some of those products to people. Because there's a WARRANTY.

Now, let's get back to discussing the actual topic rather than your apparent lack of using the warranty as it was meant.

tyren

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Running hot

My Mac seems to run very hot (fans spinning very fast), after installing this update - anybody notice the same thing?

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
Would you be able to try it out? I'm really curious about it. Right now I'm running CS5.5 on my rMBP (which works fine if you keep al little distance ;)), but I'm thinking of upgrading when the apps are retina.

It would be 'weird' if you work in retina resolution, but have to save it in non-retina, e.g. 4 times the lower res.

Thanks!

When saving for web, you have to save 2x the resolution to view it correctly on a rMBP. Say, you want to have a 100px width for an image, you'll have to save it as 200px and use css to make it preview correctly at 100px (best for retina scale). If you save the image for web at 100px, it's 2x smaller when opening afterwards in preview on a retina screen. The photoshop canvas shows you retina quality image, but when exporting you have to make sure you have twice the pixel count, otherwise your actual image wil be smaller on your rmbp. Now, if you just "save as" then the image is as big as it was on the canvas on the rMBP screen. So using that wil make the images twice the size on regular screens.
does this make any sense? :p

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Believe me, you're better off without it...

If telling yourself this saves you a couple grand and gets you off the upgrade treadmill, than I understand and support your belief.

But if you truly think people are better off with the old resolutions...honest to god, go see an eye doctor. Forget retina displays, the whole world will be more brilliant with glasses/contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.