Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
No carrier can throttle LTE. FCC said that's a no no. 3G is a different story.

From what I know it only covers a carrier that has the upper 700 C Block which VZW has. So under the FCC VZW can't throttle but AT&T can.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Currently I'm throttled on my AT&T iPhone 5.

Just for clarification so as to not mislead anyone, when you are throttled on AT&T during the month you have exceeded the data limit, it resets to full speed automatically the following month.

I've only been throttled once since they began that practice.

I am _not_ advocating for AT&T, just setting the record straight. :)

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Move to a mobile share plan with AT&T. Look and see how much data all your lines are using per month and choose the proper amount of data needed. You probably pay about the same or possibly a little cheaper depending on how much data your lines need. You would then be able to have the hotspot feature and you won't get throttled. You also wouldn't have to pay full retail for your phones. Everyone is so fixated about not having unlimited data. With a little research, you can find a mobile share plan that suffices your needs.

terrible advice sorry

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
That's a shame only Verizon is exempt from LTE throttling. AT&T gets to exploit a minor technicality like a frequency difference.

I have been with verizon for over 10 years, I don't think I will be changing carriers any time soon.

srcampana

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
YES!!!
I haven't read the rest of the thread but I honestly can't see how any of it would change my mind - I switched from unlimited on AT&T to limited on Verizon and I still couldn't be happier. I have a phone that ACTUALLY WORKS. I've had iPhones since the 3G but I can tell you, I actually feel like I have something new, that I never had before. That something is the ability to make/receive calls, send/receive pictures, texts, and emails, and surf the net whenever and wherever I want, which I cannot say for AT&T at all. I switched and got the 5 on day one and I have had zero problems or complaints since then. I brought 3 people with me (on my shared plan) and they all feel the exact same. Best decision ever.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
YES!!!
I haven't read the rest of the thread but I honestly can't see how any of it would change my mind - I switched from unlimited on AT&T to limited on Verizon and I still couldn't be happier. I have a phone that ACTUALLY WORKS. I've had iPhones since the 3G but I can tell you, I actually feel like I have something new, that I never had before. That something is the ability to make/receive calls, send/receive pictures, texts, and emails, and surf the net whenever and wherever I want, which I cannot say for AT&T at all. I switched and got the 5 on day one and I have had zero problems or complaints since then. I brought 3 people with me (on my shared plan) and they all feel the exact same. Best decision ever.

I know.... Love Verizon.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
terrible advice sorry

Worked well for me with multiple lines. Saved me about $30 a month and I never worry about going over my data, because I know how much I use. It's like balancing your checkbook, but most can't do that either. ;)

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Good for you. I save $70 a month by not paying for wifi so im all good ;)

See, that's problem for all of us. Using your cell connection as your main Internet service. You should be throttled after certain amount of data usage. You are part reason why cellular data has become expensive. I vote for removal of all unlimited data plans. :eek:

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
See, that's problem for all of us. Using your cell connection as your main Internet service. You should be throttled after certain amount of data usage. You are part reason why cellular data has become expensive. I vote for removal of all unlimited data plans. :eek:

thanks for your opinion (even if not slated in fact)

btw... how long have you worked for vzw or att?

ridiculous

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Worked well for me with multiple lines. Saved me about $30 a month and I never worry about going over my data, because I know how much I use. It's like balancing your checkbook, but most can't do that either. ;)

I like not worrying about it. 3 devices use 6+ GB a month and 1 uses 3GB for a total of 21GB/month.

Look at the prices for a 20GB share plan. I pay $185/month for 4 unlimited data lines.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
thanks for your opinion (even if not slated in fact)

btw... how long have you worked for vzw or att?

ridiculous

That last post was sarcastic. I wasn't serious. For the record I do not work for any cell carrier.

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I had been a AT&T customer for 16 yrs. I finally switched to Verizon. I have been very satisfied and LTE is faster than my cable internet at the house. Verizon doesn't have near the amounts of dead zones in the city and in rural areas. I don't understand why people say gsm is better the CDMA. I got so tired of drop calls. Calls not going thru when calling. It will be 2 yrs this April when I made the switch. Couldn't be happier. It also has been mentioned that Verizon is more expensive. I beg to differ. I have the exact plan I had at AT&T and it's $20/ month cheaper.

jonsuh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
It's about what's important to YOU because ultimately, YOU're using the phone.

I've stayed with Verizon for 9 years now, and I've been extremely happy with my service and their customer service. In my area (Chicago and surround areas), Verizon has been the most reliable. I've compared with others that have AT&T and Sprint and service doesn't compare. I don't use data nearly as much as others so unlimited data is not crucial to me.

Your scenario may be different and you just have to weigh your options. Switching may sound great for better service, but if you eat up on your data and are spending way more than what you would be on an unlimited data service, it may be worth it to compromise and deal with a less-reliable service just for the unlimited data.

Weigh your options, but for yourself.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I like not worrying about it. 3 devices use 6+ GB a month and 1 uses 3GB for a total of 21GB/month.

Look at the prices for a 20GB share plan. I pay $185/month for 4 unlimited data lines.

Why not try using wifi some? There is no way on earth you could use 6gb a month when you use wifi mixed with cell signal. What on earth are you doing on your phones that takes 6gbs?? I'm on my phone a ton but hardly ever reach 2gb a month

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
I'm actually the opposite. Been a Verizon customer for 10+ years. Switched a month ago because they couldn't deliver data to where I work. Poor coverage. in Manhattan, NY. Before smartphones, Verizon was th best. No dropped calls as you guys pointed out. But once data came into picture, they were awful. Switched to Sprint. Since they are CDMA, they have good call quality. Data? sucks. But their LTE looks brighter then Verizon once it is up and running. And it's cheaper so I'll live with the slow data for now. Just make sure Verizon has good coverage where you go. It really depends on where you live. Test out the connection by getting a phone for 2 weeks and trying it out in all the places you visit. That's the only way to know for sure.

Good luck.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I'm actually the opposite. Been a Verizon customer for 10+ years. Switched a month ago because they couldn't deliver data to where I work. Poor coverage. in Manhattan, NY. Before smartphones, Verizon was th best. No dropped calls as you guys pointed out. But once data came into picture, they were awful. Switched to Sprint. Since they are CDMA, they have good call quality. Data? sucks. But their LTE looks brighter then Verizon once it is up and running. And it's cheaper so I'll live with the slow data for now. Just make sure Verizon has good coverage where you go. It really depends on where you live. Test out the connection by getting a phone for 2 weeks and trying it out in all the places you visit. That's the only way to know for sure.

Good luck.

I thought Verizon was pretty good in NYC?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
There is no way on earth you could use 6gb a month when you use wifi mixed with cell signal. What on earth are you doing on your phones that takes 6gbs??
How do you know there's no way? There might be no way for you but you can't assume that your situation is universal. Why does it matter? The OP knows how much data is needed and wants to stick with unlimited.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
I thought Verizon was pretty good in NYC?

Not where I work. And not with iPhone 5. Depends on where you are. Other places outside of Manhattan, it works well. In Manhattan, you will get slower LTE speeds compared to At&t. In some places around the city, you will drop to 3G and that's in the 0.70 to 1.5 mbps speeds.

But again, it really depends on where you spend most of your time. For me, I am in Manhattan for 9 hours a day. And Verizon admitted they have poor coverage where I work so they let me go without ETF.

So test out the carrier for 2 weeks. Decide for yourself. I did and I'm happy leaving Verizon for Sprint. Most people won't.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
How do you know there's no way? There might be no way for you but you can't assume that your situation is universal. Why does it matter? The OP knows how much data is needed and wants to stick with unlimited.

Not saying its impossible but still I find it hard to believe that someone uses 6gbs of data a month (unless they don't attempt to connect to wifi). The only reason it matters to me is high GB users are the reason carriers did away with unlimited data and why they are throttling people.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Not saying its impossible but still I find it hard to believe that someone uses 6gbs of data a month (unless they don't attempt to connect to wifi). The only reason it matters to me is high GB users are the reason carriers did away with unlimited data and why they are throttling people.

I happen to be blessed with a job that has a lot of downtime. I was just relocated to another facility which doesn't have WiFi. The previous facility/ area had WiFi all over.

I wouldn't call 6GB abusive anyway because AT&T throttles LTE at 5GB and we 4 grandfathered AT&T unlimited lines.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I happen to be blessed with a job that has a lot of downtime. I was just relocated to another facility which doesn't have WiFi. The previous facility/ area had WiFi all over.

I wouldn't call 6GB abusive anyway because AT&T throttles LTE at 5GB and we 4 grandfathered AT&T unlimited lines.

I understand if there is no wifi available at all, but for some people to just never attempt to connect to wifi is another thing.

and yes AT&T is throttling LTE at 5g but I assume the usage was still 6gb when no LTE was available. just my .02 doesn't matter...carry on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.