Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1
besweeet2
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to besweeet2
Beware of OWC SSDs!

Back in September, I received a 240GB SSD for my 2012 MacBook Air. It arrived dead and unusable. I sent them that drive back, and they said that it was very unusual what happened. The replacement that they sent me worked without a problem, up until about 30 minutes ago.

I was browsing Twitter via Tweetbot and watching a video via VLC. First, the video froze. Next, I wasn't able to interact with anything on the screen. Lastly, the cursor wouldn't move. All of this happened within a few seconds of each other.

Upon reboot, I received the flashing folder with the question mark. Holding ALT while powering up results in no drives/partitions detected. When I booted from my Mac OS X installation USB drive, it didn't detect any sign of a SATA drive from within Disk Utility or anywhere else.

I popped in my original/stock 120GB Apple SSD, the one that came with the Air, and it booted up without a problem. Unfortunately, it hasn't been used since September, and I [stupidly] haven't made a backup since then, so I have quite a bit of work to do to get things back to the way I just had them. Fortunately, a lot of my data is scattered around various clouds, so I mainly just need to install the various software updates that have occurred over the past 3 months.

So, based on my experience, I would advise everyone to stay away from OWC. While people may have their own success stories, I definitely have none, and I've heard about more failures from OWC drives than many of their competitors.
besweeet2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:00 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I think all drives have a failure rate but my question is whether you googled your specific drive to see if there's a high reported failure rate? You owe yourself that much at least.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:07 PM   #3
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I think all drives have a failure rate but my question is whether you googled your specific drive to see if there's a high reported failure rate? You owe yourself that much at least.
I haven't found anything in regards to their MacBook Air-specific drives' success or failure rate.
besweeet2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:34 AM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet2 View Post
I haven't found anything in regards to their MacBook Air-specific drives' success or failure rate.
What about the drive you bought? What was the drive model exactly?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:20 AM   #5
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
What about the drive you bought? What was the drive model exactly?
They only offer one 240GB SSD for the MacBook Air, so http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/SSDAP2A6G240/.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:23 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

From reviews from respected sites, I would certainly believe this was a great performer. Can you check into perhaps getting another through warranty? Just over a year seems a bit soon for a drive to fail.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
From reviews from respected sites, I would certainly believe this was a great performer. Can you check into perhaps getting another through warranty? Just over a year seems a bit soon for a drive to fail.
It was a review unit, so I'm not concerned about getting another (third) one. Two bad drives within 3 months can't be a good sign in terms of reliability.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:48 AM   #8
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

There's another thread on here with people having the same issues with OWC SSDs on their '12 Airs as well. Chime in if you haven't already:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1459847
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:50 AM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
There's another thread on here with people having the same issues with OWC SSDs on their '12 Airs as well. Chime in if you haven't already:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1459847
There you go then.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals