Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Valkyre
macrumors 6502

iphoto RAM

Hello guys.

I was working on my rmbp the other night and I used iphoto to editi some of my photos, browse them, zoom in out for details etc etc.

After about 40 mins of working with iphoto I checked activity monitor and I saw that iphoto was using 1GB of system RAM!

Is that considered normal behavior for iphoto? I really could not believe that after 30 mins the application required so much RAM... I mean what would happen if I continued working for like 2 hours? It could go to 2GB ram??

Please help me understand how this works because i really scratch my head around this.
Valkyre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Yes, that is normal. iPhoto (and most OS X apps) will use any memory available to cache your work/data. If you stop using iPhoto and launch another app that needs the memory, OS X will allocate what the new app needs. Don't sweat it.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Valkyre
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Yes, that is normal. iPhoto (and most OS X apps) will use any memory available to cache your work/data. If you stop using iPhoto and launch another app that needs the memory, OS X will allocate what the new app needs. Don't sweat it.
Thank you very much for your reply! For a moment I thought there was something wrong!
Valkyre is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion