Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
At 100% my iPhone 5/ battery lasts only about 3.5 hours in extended use

What are ways to make if last longer?

S

syd430

Set brightness to lowest possible without it becoming uncomfortable. Mine is at around 20% in most indoor situations. Turn off LTE if you don't really need the extra speed. Turn off bluetooth when not in use. Use wifi as much as possible.

ferganer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Disable push/data fetch and notifications for stuff you don't want. Turn off connections (BT, Wi-Fi, LTE) you are not using. Disable location services. Set brightness lower. Restart every once in a while.

In any case, 3.5 hours even of "extended use" sounds abnormally low to me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Drain your battery until it is completely dead and then charge it up fully. I use my iPhone a lot and never had such a poor usage. It could be faulty. Is it in warranty? Why not make an appointment at the apple store?

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
I dunno if this is possible with the US iPhone where you can toggle LTE off, but with my european one, I can toggle 3G off, leaving only Edge on. Granted, its dead slow, but battery life is just insanely good this way (can use the phone extensively for a day and still have 50% battery left).

Ive got push mail on, wifi on, location services on, bt off. and a fairly bright screen.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I don't see how anyone could have issues with battery life on this phone, unless they actually use it all day and nothing else.

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Set brightness to lowest possible without it becoming uncomfortable. Mine is at around 20% in most indoor situations. Turn off LTE if you don't really need the extra speed. Turn off bluetooth when not in use. Use wifi as much as possible.

These two would probably be the most important factor. If you use your phone heavily, I would too would recommend not using LTE and try being on wifi as much as possible.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
3.5 hours usage isn't good. Unless you were using the camera the whole time or heavy gaming, sounds like something is wrong.

The worst I ever get is 7, as high as 10.5 if I stream music for an hour or 2. On average I get 8 hours of pretty heavy use, in fact it's nearly impossible, or at least very rare for me to get from 100% to 0 in one day. I actually did yesterday, but I was up until 3 am, my stats were 10.5 usage, 17 standby, about 1.5 hours was BT streaming music. Normally I end a day with anywhere from 15-35% left, and 4-6 hours use. The 5 IMO has the best battery life of any iPhone, including the 4. Plus, pretty amazing they accomplished this while making the phone so fast and powerful.

That's not to say everybody is getting great battery life, clearly some aren't. Hey, my wifi isn't quite 100%, but I'm afraid to swap for fear I get a 5 hour battery life phone. :) Always a trade off it seems. I'd rather deal with minor wifi issues and hope for an update than take a chance on losing the great battery life.

I think the OP has a bad battery or an app/process that's misbehaving. 3.5 isn't acceptable from this phone.

Last edited:

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
There is almost no way you can significantly increase your battery life there might be some mail settings you could tweak but that is about it. It is what it is, you maybe able to squeeze an extra 15 min or so here or there but there is no way to really tell since it is almost impossible to duplicate the same usage in the real world usage. You can do constant netflix streaming but that is not a real use case(for most), even then you could be getting tons of email or notifications.

This is assuming you don't have some type of faulty battery

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Battery life streaming video is better than the iphone 4, but that's about it. It's probably a bit worse overall for me. Of course, the performance is 8 times as fast so I can't complain except for the ridiculous price of non-existent lightning accessories.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Not sure if this is significant, but I find that turning off iMessage, increases battery life a lot. Took phone off charger at 615am and it's at 41% 11 hours later. Lots of text.....some browsing.....2 hours of talk......does iMessage really suck that much battery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.