Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1
mattxi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Novosibirsk, RU and Minnesota, US
rMBP Processor Inquiry

Hey all,

About to decide on an rMBP within the week. I do a lot of video editing, compositing, 3D work, scoring, etc. The stock processor is 2.6GHz i7 (3.6GHz boost), is it worth $250 to get the 2.7GHz i7 (3.7GHz boost)?

Will there be a noticeable difference?
mattxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2
bill-p
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Nope. I'd recommend that you get more RAM rather than a faster CPU.
bill-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030
 
Orlandoech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-p View Post
Nope. I'd recommend that you get more RAM rather than a faster CPU.
^^^ What he said.

2.3 w/ 16GB or 2.6 w/ 16GB. Cost:Value, definitely the 2.3 w/ 16GB.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4
mattxi
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Novosibirsk, RU and Minnesota, US
I'm for sure doing 16gb ram, but you wouldn't suggest upgrading from 2.6 to 2.7?
mattxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
bill-p
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Nope. The performance improvement going from 2.3 to 2.6 isn't that great. Going from 2.6 to 2.7 would be minimal at best.

I'd think that the 2.7 option is only there for those who want the absolutely best performance out of their machine at this time even if it's minuscule.

Of course, if you have the cash to burn, then by all means, go for it, but the difference is very minimal.
bill-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030
 
Orlandoech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattxi View Post
I'm for sure doing 16gb ram, but you wouldn't suggest upgrading from 2.6 to 2.7?
I wouldn't even recommend upgrading to the 2.6 from the 2.3, the $100 isnt worth 300MHz and benchmark bragging rights. The real world performance difference will be insignificant and any decoding/encoding will only get marginally faster.

I think the best setup is 2.3/16/256 or 2.3/16/512. If the $100 isn't anything to you, then opt for the 2.6. I myself, would rather spend the $100 on a nice 7200RPM USB3 HDD.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:21 AM   #7
leman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattxi View Post
I'm for sure doing 16gb ram, but you wouldn't suggest upgrading from 2.6 to 2.7?
With the faster CPU you might save few minutes per day at max. Is it worth you $250?
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:06 PM   #8
mattxi
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Novosibirsk, RU and Minnesota, US
Thank you all for your input! I'll probably stick with the 2.6, which is what I was originally going for.
mattxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:04 PM   #9
xxcysxx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
If you want the absolute best CPU for a mobile laptop then that would be the 3940xm speaking as of today. Apple doesn't offer it because of cost reasons and chances are their system can't handle the thermal output. One step below that would be the 3840qm, which is likely going to be on the next refresh if there is one due soon. The 3820qm is the former version of the 3840qm, which is the top of the line processor your speaking of for the fifteen inch retina.

you are not going to see or benifit the fullest performance potential of the 3820qm on the retina machine for day to day task because the graphic scaling tax away some of that processing horsepower. Though, I'm not sure about the comparable fifteen inch classic since it doesn't do graphic scaling. But you'll be paying more for a comparable fifteen inch classic vs its retina counterpart.
xxcysxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcysxx View Post
If you want the absolute best CPU for a mobile laptop then that would be the 3940xm speaking as of today. Apple doesn't offer it because of cost reasons and chances are their system can't handle the thermal output. One step below that would be the 3840qm, which is likely going to be on the next refresh if there is one due soon. The 3820qm is the former version of the 3840qm, which is the top of the line processor your speaking of for the fifteen inch retina.

you are not going to see or benifit the fullest performance potential of the 3820qm on the retina machine for day to day task because the graphic scaling tax away some of that processing horsepower. Though, I'm not sure about the comparable fifteen inch classic since it doesn't do graphic scaling. But you'll be paying more for a comparable fifteen inch classic vs its retina counterpart.
max TDP suggests that only 3840QM is possible, but it offers only but a marginal speed bump (100mhz) compared to the top model.
Perhaps this + GT660M instead of 650M is a feasible january refresh before haswell overhaul in spring
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:09 PM   #11
xxcysxx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
well, 3840qm and 3940xm have the same thermal output, 55 watts. and beside the difference of 100mhz, its also has an unlock multiplier, for over-clocking., an $850 price tag, and also some other brag rights.

hopefully, on the next refresh, if they decide to update the video card, they wouldn't have to overclock it, which will equates to a "slightly" more efficient system.

Last edited by xxcysxx; Dec 11, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
xxcysxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcysxx View Post
well, 3840qm and 3940xm have the same thermal output, 55 watts. and beside the difference of 100mhz, its also has an unlock multiplier, for over-clocking., an $850 price tag, and also some other brag rights.
I checked on intel page, and 3840qm has 45Watts tdp?
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/657...0QM_(PGA).html
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:55 PM   #13
xxcysxx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
you got me. i stand corrected.
xxcysxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:04 PM   #14
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
I agree with others on this thread, the 2.7GHz is not worth it. For most people, even the 2.6GHz isn't going to be noticeable. Personally I did go for the 2.6GHz, but really only because I get a decent discount from work so the cost was pretty minimal. The best configuration in my opinion is either the 2.6GHz/16GB/256GB or the 2.6GHz/16GB/512GB depending on onboard storage needs. If you don't do anything really processor intensive, then the 2.3GHz versions of above are really good too.
__________________
iPhone 5S - rMBP - TV - iPod Nano
DeusInvictus7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:28 AM   #15
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcysxx View Post
you got me. i stand corrected.
That's good though, 3840qm got out after Retina... so it's kinda possible that they'll replace the chip in January.
If that's the case I'd rather wait, i know what everybody is saying, but there has been too many moments when I wished I'd go with 2.8ghz 4 years ago when I bought my first (and first in general) unibody - 2.53ghz
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:43 AM   #16
chevalier433
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattxi View Post
Hey all,

About to decide on an rMBP within the week. I do a lot of video editing, compositing, 3D work, scoring, etc. The stock processor is 2.6GHz i7 (3.6GHz boost), is it worth $250 to get the 2.7GHz i7 (3.7GHz boost)?

Will there be a noticeable difference?
As an video editor myself I say definitely you will need every available hardware possible.Memory can add later.
chevalier433 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:53 AM   #17
leman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier433 View Post
As an video editor myself I say definitely you will need every available hardware possible.Memory can add later.
You can't add memory with the retina MBP.
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:00 AM   #18
chevalier433
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
You can't add memory with the retina MBP.
You are right SSD is upgradable from OWC.
chevalier433 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:08 AM   #19
leman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier433 View Post
You are right SSD is upgradable from OWC.
They want $579.99 for a 480Gb SSD while the Apple 512Gb costs $500. Wouldn't exactly call it a smart way to upgrade. But yeah, there is a possibility.
leman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:40 AM   #20
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
You get to keep the 256GB flash and there's an external USB3.0 enclosure for it. It's supposedly a bit faster as well.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/OWC_Envoy_Pro/

If you ask me it's a pretty good deal, if you're in the shop for the 2.3 model.
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:05 AM   #21
Mr MM
macrumors 65816
 
Mr MM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploki View Post
You get to keep the 256GB flash and there's an external USB3.0 enclosure for it. It's supposedly a bit faster as well.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/OWC_Envoy_Pro/

If you ask me it's a pretty good deal, if you're in the shop for the 2.3 model.
its not a good deal, nor its faster. its best to order a ssd from ifixit, much better prices
Mr MM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:15 AM   #22
mattxi
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Novosibirsk, RU and Minnesota, US
This has strayed a little bit from the original topic--SSD stays at 512, not gonna worry about upgrading it or anything.

It seems as though most are in agreement that 2.7 isn't worth $250, but I do want to stick with 2.6 since the work I do is processor intensive.

Here it is:
rMBP 15"
2.6GHz i7
16gb RAM
512gb SSD


Seems like it'll do the job.
mattxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:38 AM   #23
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr MM View Post
its not a good deal, nor its faster. its best to order a ssd from ifixit, much better prices
diglloyd (macperformanceguide) said that the speed is better, albeit marginally. Also, iFixit is completely out of stock on Retina drives.
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:24 AM   #24
MCAsan
macrumors 68020
 
MCAsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta
As someone who owns and uses a maxed out rMBP...go for the 2.7 and 16GB. It is the SSD size that adds killer costs. SSD size relates to how much you need data you need to collect or carry inside the machine. I doubt most people need the 756GB. I got it for collecting photos during multiple week photo trips. The edited files are moved to external thunderbolt drives.

I plan to keep the machine for at least the 3 years of Apple Care. So I am not buying a machine for today; I am buying one to last at least 3 years with unknown processing requirements from OS or apps in the future.
__________________
Retina MBP 2.7GHz | 16GB | 768GB
Thunderbolt Display
iPhone 5s | Silver | 64GB | AT&T
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:57 AM   #25
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr MM View Post
its not a good deal, nor its faster. its best to order a ssd from ifixit, much better prices
http://www.zdnet.com/owc-aura-pro-ss...er-7000007082/
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cMBP vs. rMBP Processor Difference bgro MacBook Pro 14 Dec 29, 2013 01:21 PM
Upgrading rMBP Processor Opinion... cjgonzales1900 MacBook Pro 8 Nov 2, 2013 01:23 PM
New rMBP To Feature More Than Just New Processor MyiBill MacBook Pro 30 Oct 1, 2013 06:07 PM
Which processor in rMBP twdi MacBook Pro 15 Dec 22, 2012 04:13 AM
What processor does the base rMBP exactly use? golu14 MacBook Pro 2 Jul 4, 2012 07:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC