Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Where the drop shadows are mostly what?

Mostly, as in that's my main question, I was just leaving room for for edits incase I thought of any more questions, but that's a terrible idea anyway, ignore it. :)

which file ArtFile.bin, ArtFile200.bin, or SArtFile.bin and which image file when extracted.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
It's possible the drop shadows are rendered on the fly and aren't part of any graphic.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
It's possible the drop shadows are rendered on the fly and aren't part of any graphic.

I'm pretty sure that this is the case, because I remember way back (like before OS X Tiger I think) there was a hack that disabled window drop shadows, because it used CPU power. Its almost a silly thought now :p

God I hope not. :/

If that is the case, do you know of any command to disable them?

Can't remember what that hack was... though if I can it will probably end up being PPC only. You may be able to google it though...

----------

That being said, if you look in the dock.app there is drop shadow for icons etc, so its also possible that there is an image...

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
I'm pretty sure that this is the case, because I remember way back (like before OS X Tiger I think) there was a hack that disabled window drop shadows, because it used CPU power. Its almost a silly thought now :p

Can't remember what that hack was... though if I can it will probably end up being PPC only. You may be able to google it though...

----------

That being said, if you look in the dock.app there is drop shadow for icons etc, so its also possible that there is an image...

Yeah, I saw that app when I googled a minute ago, it's for like OS X 10.2 :O

umm, the way that page was written, made it sound like Apple is applying the drop shadows inside the GPU using some code some the **** place, and that it's basically impossible to actually remove that. I'll probably end up getting annoyed enough to search around for text files that contain that stuff, I assume that code is a lot like Microsoft's WPF stuff in Aero. And I've forgotten what they call it, but it's basically CSS with different formatting.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Yeah, I saw that app when I googled a minute ago, it's for like OS X 10.2 :O

umm, the way that page was written, made it sound like Apple is applying the drop shadows inside the GPU using some code some the **** place, and that it's basically impossible to actually remove that. I'll probably end up getting annoyed enough to search around for text files that contain that stuff, I assume that code is a lot like Microsoft's WPF stuff in Aero. And I've forgotten what they call it, but it's basically CSS with different formatting.

Yeah thats what I thought :p

And why do you want to get rid of the drop shadow? just curious :rolleyes:

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Yeah thats what I thought :p

And why do you want to get rid of the drop shadow? just curious :rolleyes:

Becuase, the way I have my Macbook setup, I have my TV hooked up to it and I play movies on that, and the drop shadow spills over onto my TV and it annoys me, IMO, that is ****** ass coding. :c lol

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Oh I see... drop shadow from what exactly? Can you upload an image?

From ANYTHING, like right now I have chrome open, and it's spilling over to my TV, I'll get on that 1 sec.

[gimg]http://i.imgur.com/5nz0v.jpg[/gimg]

K, here's the screenshot, but now I'm starting to think that maybe it's just my TV. :/

Apparently I have NO idea how to screenshot another display from my Macbook, you'd think Apple'd include the ability intuitively, considering that's their ENTIRE MARKETING CAMPAIGN.

NO. I KNOW it's not my TV, because I can move the shadow around when I move the window.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
From ANYTHING, like right now I have chrome open, and it's spilling over to my TV, I'll get on that 1 sec.

[gimg]http://i.imgur.com/5nz0v.jpg[/gimg]

K, here's the screenshot, but now I'm starting to think that maybe it's just my TV. :/

5nz0v.jpg

looks like this in code:
Code:
[plain][img]http://i.imgur.com/5nz0v.jpg[/img][/plain]
The g in front of the IMG is not necessary, if the image is wider than 800 pixel, TIMG is needed thoug​

Anyway, as I wanted to say, you can circumvent that by resizing the Chrome window (or any other application) on the right side and have a bit of breathing room.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
5nz0v.jpg

looks like this in code:
Code:
[plain][img]http://i.imgur.com/5nz0v.jpg[/img][/plain]
The g in front of the IMG is not necessary, if the image is wider than 800 pixel, TIMG is needed thoug​

Anyway, as I wanted to say, you can circumvent that by resizing the Chrome window (or any other application) on the right side and have a bit of breathing room.

OH sorry I forgot the letter before img to have it resize lol, Yeah, but when you have 10 apps open...

Nov 28, 2010
located
Apparently I have NO idea how to screenshot another display from my Macbook, you'd think Apple'd include the ability intuitively, considering that's their ENTIRE MARKETING CAMPAIGN.

Press CMD+SHIFT+3 to make a screenshot, and Mac OS X (at least Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as I just tested it with two 1920 x 1200 displays) creates two PNGs saved on your Desktop, one PNG having the content from display 1 and the other PNG having the content from display 2.

Unless you mean something else?

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Press CMD+SHIFT+3 to make a screenshot, and Mac OS X (at least Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as I just tested it with two 1920 x 1200 displays) creates two PNGs saved on your Desktop, one PNG having the content from display 1 and the other PNG having the content from display 2.

Unless you mean something else?

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

On Mountain Lion it only takes a screenshot of the main screen. :/

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA

5nz0v.jpg

NO. I KNOW it's not my TV, because I can move the shadow around when I move the window.

Just resize the window to the whole screen and hide the dock, or even click the full screen button. is this an image of your desktop on your MacBook or is this of your TV?

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
That is a screenshot of my Macbook, I'm gonna try taking a screenshot of my TV again one second.

Okay, here we go, and recall that the texture on the left is VLC's media list, and the right is Chrome, VLC is on the TV, Chrome on my Macbook. See the drop shadow spilling over onto VLC from Chrome?

36yi6.png

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
No the pint is that it's Chrome's shadow, so to not have that stupid ass drop shadow that's wayyy too big btw, I'd have to close chrome, or Apple could just fix it, but that'd be too easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.