Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
-Concept-
macrumors member

Windows 8 to External hard drive?

So I have a nice, new blank hard drive and a macbook. I was wondering if I could install Windows 8 onto that hard drive so I wouldn't have to partition the hard drive that's currently in my MacBook. Would it work the same way? I know that Apple doesn't have Windows 8 drivers yet so it wouldn't work well with the partition thing... but I installed Parallels and I don't like how it works. Sooo I was wondering if I could just install Windows 8 cleanly onto that external drive, and how I would do it from a USB.

Last edited by -Concept-; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
-Concept- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Rileyx2
macrumors member

From what I have found here on MR, and from Apple, is that Windows (in general) will not install on an external disk.

Even if you could install it on an external disk, the performance would be reduced (as the "throughput" of the drive would be restricted to whatever interface the external drive is connected by, as opposed to a direct SATA I,II, or III connection speed).

Perhaps other MR members have more insight on this, but I thought I would share what I know.
Rileyx2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:08 PM   #3
-Concept-
macrumors member

Yeah, I read through some of the posts and discovered the same thing. I'm working on it though.. the external drive is currently USB'ed through a SATA case if that's any new information. I might just install the firmware for BIOS, which is what a friend of mine recommended, and see what happens.

Last edited by -Concept-; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Penn Jennings
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Concept- View Post
Yeah, I read through some of the posts and discovered the same thing. I'm working on it though.. the external drive is currently USB'ed through a SATA case if that's any new information. I might just install the firmware for BIOS, which is what a friend of mine recommended, and see what happens.
The question is: Is it USB 3.0 or 2.0? USB 3.0 should sustain 100 MB/second, thats close to the the drives sustained throughput. That is assuming that you have a HDD and SSD. If its USB 2.0... well that blows
Penn Jennings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:46 PM   #5
-Concept-
macrumors member

Assumption correct, & it's USB 3.0. I'll worry about speed after I figure out how to boot form it though. I got close, it booted form it then prompted me for a clean install because of some issue or another. I can get to the part where it asks to select a drive to install it on.. Does anyone know if I could just install Windows onto the external drive from a Windows machine and boot it from my Mac?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help