Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Virinprew
macrumors 6502

Is camera capture sound effect skeuomorphism?

First world problem, I know it but...
Is camera capture sound effect considered skeuomorphism? It seems kind of normal now. What do you think?
Virinprew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:52 PM   #2
cyks
macrumors 68020

Yes, it is. There is no reason for the sound other than familiarity to how cameras used to operate.

Now, why does it matter?
cyks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:55 PM   #3
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

By definition, yes. There's nothing intrinsically bad about using skeuomorphism in design, though. In some cases it provides for the most intuitive possible user experience. Using it for no reason except to use it or avoiding it for no reason except to avoid it are equally problematic approaches.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:32 PM   #4
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
Yes, it is. There is no reason for the sound other than familiarity to how cameras used to operate.
False. It also alerts others that a picture is being taken. iPhones sold in Japan make the shutter sound even when the mute switch is used in order to deter voyeurism. In Korea, they even made a law mandating audible shutter sounds. A similar law was proposed in the US in 2009, but it didn't pass.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
False. It also alerts others that a picture is being taken. iPhones sold in Japan make the shutter sound even when the mute switch is used in order to deter voyeurism. In Korea, they even made a law mandating audible shutter sounds. A similar law was proposed in the US in 2009, but it didn't pass.
If they simply wanted any an audible sound, they could have used any other beep or tone.

They chose (and continue to use) that particular sound is BECAUSE it is how cameras used to sound.
cyks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:43 PM   #6
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If they simply wanted any an audible sound, they could have used any other beep or tone.

They chose (and continue to use) that particular sound is BECAUSE it is how cameras used to sound.
That's the point. If you hear a camera shutter, you automatically know someone is taking a picture of something.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:08 AM   #7
cyks
macrumors 68020

Glad we agree, but then I don't understand the reason for the "False." since that's what I had said.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:34 AM   #8
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virinprew View Post
First world problem, I know it but...
Is camera capture sound effect considered skeuomorphism? It seems kind of normal now. What do you think?
Yes it is. The shutter doesn't make that sound; it's a recording.

Skeuomorphs can be functional or they can be purely decorative. The shutter sound effect does serve a purpose but it's also a skeuomorph because it's an imitation of a feature of another form of camera.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:55 AM   #9
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Glad we agree, but then I don't understand the reason for the "False." since that's what I had said.
Because you said there was no other reason...
MozMan68 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:43 AM   #10
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Yes, but that's good. I hate the bad rep skeumorphism is getting all of a sudden. People don't really understand it's relevance and use in design, and just automatically assume it's old-fashioned and tacky.
zbarvian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Stella
macrumors 603

Some photo manufacturers add the camera noise deliberately - for privacy purposes: can't take a photo without a noise being emitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Yes, but that's good. I hate the bad rep skeumorphism is getting all of a sudden. People don't really understand it's relevance and use in design, and just automatically assume it's old-fashioned and tacky.
It was considered bad practice for UI purposes. In the early days of home computing skeumorphism was used so people could recognize a Calendar in an application, but as people became more computer literate this was seen as bad practice as for one reason - it destroyed the consistency of a UI. Much like what Calendar and AddressBook has done to OSX. Apple have never been able to follow its own OSX UI guidelines while expecting others to do so.

Mind you, Apple was always inconsistent about the look of its UI.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:48 AM   #12
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
Because you said there was no other reason...
...for anyone to use that particular sound.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:05 AM   #13
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
People don't really understand it's relevance and use in design, and just automatically assume it's old-fashioned and tacky.
Always consider the source. Many people find it easier to view the world in simple black-and-white terms without thinking. Few things in reality are all good or all bad. Typically there are good and bad examples of any given thing (one or the other may outnumber the alternative[s]).

That said, design's a subjective thing and people are certainly entitled to their opinions.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:19 AM   #14
jpetticrew
macrumors 6502a

Talking

The is SUPPOSED to sound like an old-timey camera, but I've never heard a camera make the ka-choo-ee sound the iPhone camera makes...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:15 AM   #15
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:

But most people would probably just think the beep was a text message or alert. The camera sound is quite distinct and easily understood by almost anyone.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:48 PM   #16
mcneilis
macrumors newbie

The sleep/wake button sounds slightly similar to a camera, so I'm more concerned that people in public places think I'm taking a photo of them when I'm mainly just putting my phone to sleep.
mcneilis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:31 AM   #17
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

It is an A.P.S - or "anti-pervert sound."
JaySoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:34 AM   #18
AlphaHumanus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It also alerts others that a picture is being taken. iPhones sold in Japan make the shutter sound even when the mute switch is used in order to deter voyeurism. In Korea, they even made a law mandating audible shutter sounds. A similar law was proposed in the US in 2009, but it didn't pass.
WELL. I wouldn't have thought of that. Also, I'm torn between whether or not I want my phone to make a noise if its muted, regardless of what I'm doing, and curbing voyeurism.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It also alerts others that a picture is being taken. iPhones sold in Japan make the shutter sound even when the mute switch is used in order to deter voyeurism. In Korea, they even made a law mandating audible shutter sounds.
I really like this. I want to know if a girl snaps my picture while I'm in Korea, China, Japan, or Singapore so I can mosey on over and say, "So, how are yyyoooouuuu doin'?"
Gutwrench is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:00 AM   #20
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

I would bet most people didn't know this word existed before they read it on macrumors lol.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:48 AM   #21
lunarworks
macrumors 6502

Is any non-beep computer alert sound "skeumorphism"? Yes. Yes it is.

Everyone's humping the hell out of that word lately. The concept of skeumorphism isn't inherently bad. It's all about the context and implementation. There's a vast ocean of difference between a tacky stitched leather interface and a subtle camera click.
lunarworks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:02 AM   #22
Virinprew
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
Is any non-beep computer alert sound "skeumorphism"? Yes. Yes it is.

Everyone's humping the hell out of that word lately. The concept of skeumorphism isn't inherently bad. It's all about the context and implementation. There's a vast ocean of difference between a tacky stitched leather interface and a subtle camera click.
Yes, I started this thread so that someone will get the point.
Virinprew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:49 AM   #23
ggmissmolly
macrumors regular

No, it is feedback. You could argue that it mimics the shutter sound and therefore is, but my Nikon beeps.
ggmissmolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:15 AM   #24
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Now that Apple makes it easier to capture pics from video, what stops someone in Asia from just starting a video capture with the "beep beep" looking one direction or away from someone and then doing allnof their "voyeurism?"
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:24 AM   #25
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Yes it is, and it is an example of skeuomorphism done well.

It makes sense.

Itís not first world problems, it isnít a problem at all, I know kids today like to say skeuomorphism because itís a big buzz word at the moment, but it isnít inherently bad.

Apple in particular has used it to excess in recent years, and in some cases it has been to the detriment of functionality. However it isnít always the case, itís a question of taste.

My mum for example, would probably appreciate the address book on Mac looking like a real address book, but to us geeks we find it obnoxious and confusing, because we have different expectations to how software works.

Last edited by jabingla2810; Dec 17, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
jabingla2810 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6