Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Well, after all these years of owning iPhones, I finally dropped one.

iPhone 5 (black 16g).

I had one of those slimline, black plastic cases, which cracked on the corner where the phone obviously hit the pavement.

The screen is a mess (photo attached). The case has obviously been removed for the photo.

Apple tell me that here in Australia, they will do a full phone swap and not replace the screen. So I am getting that done Thursday night.

Are apple replacing screens anywhere in the appleverse yet?

Applecare? NO.
Lesson learned.

New case being bought Thursday too, slightly more effective. I hope.

So, for anyone using the slimline barely there black case on the 5, be careful, they prevent scratches on the back, but for a waist height drop on the wrong angle at impact, they do jack for the screen. I suppose I knew this but ignored it because I wanted the phone to look as natural as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 361

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks.

I guess the $279 AUD is the price of the lesson learned (oh, and add the price of the new, perhaps more effective case).

I apologise as that sounded rather crass.

But yes, I feel your pain and I hope you enjoy your new iPhone as you did the last :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is a bummer. Do they have Apple Care + there?

Those slimline cases, to my knowledge, aren't ever bought for drop protection.

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
That is a bummer. Do they have Apple Care + there?

Those slimline cases, to my knowledge, aren't ever bought for drop protection.

Yeah the Apple product line and everything associated with the products is the same down here as up there.

I just thought I was invincible, you know, the "Ha, insurance? That's for clumsy people. I don't drop phones" sort of thinking.

Yeah well, seems I am Australia's worst juggler.

And, I wanted the phone to look naked, as they say, so got the flimsiest, barely there-est style case.

I am not converting to otter box or anything, but I concede there is value in getting something with a bit more substance. Which I will be doing tomorrow night.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Yeah the Apple product line and everything associated with the products is the same down here as up there.

I just thought I was invincible, you know, the "Ha, insurance? That's for clumsy people. I don't drop phones" sort of thinking.

Yeah well, seems I am Australia's worst juggler.

And, I wanted the phone to look naked, as they say, so got the flimsiest, barely there-est style case.

I am not converting to otter box or anything, but I concede there is value in getting something with a bit more substance. Which I will be doing tomorrow night.

I would recommend not having a case at all. Honestly, why not enjoy the phone that you have?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
presuming applecare+ isn't an option down under?

I've converted to naked. I figure I could get a "bumper" or "slim" case but will it *really* provide any drop protection? doubtful...

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
presuming applecare+ isn't an option down under?

I've converted to naked. I figure I could get a "bumper" or "slim" case but will it *really* provide any drop protection? doubtful...

Bumpers in my experience provide better protection than any other case (at least properly made ones). That being said, I don't think it's worth it for the looks

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Apple worked hard on making this thing so beautiful and light.
I really struggle with putting it in a cage, as do the posters above.

I have to risk assess the likelihood of me attempting my juggling routine again when having my phone in hand.

Applecare+ certainly is an option, I just ignored it for the reason I stated above.

Anyway, I will look at cases and try to find a happy medium, but I can see the new (after checking for scuffgate issues hahahaha) phone going naked.

I am an iPhone naturist!!!

And that is an expensive way for me to be it would seem.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Apple replaced the screens on the iPhone 3 models. It was easy because the front glass just lifted out like the iPhone 5. They should be able to replace the glass on the 5 soon enough.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Other than extremely bulky and protective cases, I really think it's more the luck of the draw than anything else. I've dropped my iPhones caseless onto pavement before and come away with not even a scratch. Others have dropped them onto far more forgiving surfaces and had a complete shatter. Like many materials, the glass on these phones seems to be quite strong in many directions, but also has weak spots if you catch it just wrong.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I still won't get a bulky case, that's the price am willing to risk for beauty.

eddyecb

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Is that what the Genius told you? I have not seen a single case of Apple replacing a screen on a device. They will simply replace the device.

Yup and exactly what givmeabreak said, they never replaced screens on the 4 or 4s due to having to start from the back and take everything out to get to it, easier to replace yet with the other gen's, 5 included, the screen is the first thing to come out making it super easy to replace.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I think I'm gonna get a case after seeing what happened to your phone. I love it naked, but I've had my 4 day old ip4 front panel shatter on me from a 5 ft drop on pavement before.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Oh man, that is a tough break OP. My wife uses a Speck Candy shell on her iPhone 5, it is a nice case, I recommend it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Bad luck

I've dropped iphones (3g, 3g-s, 4-s) onto bitumen, tiles, bricks, etc and 9/10 times they are fine (even if occasionally you end up with cosmetic damage).

Never had a case.

Either the 5 is more fragile or you just lucked out.

the drop that killed my 3g-s for example was onto CARPET, after being dropped multiple times onto bricks, etc.

Sometimes they just land wrong...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.