Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:05 PM   #51
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
i like pages, numbers, and keynote better
Me too—except, Keynote only by reputation. Word and Excel’s usability is great.... if you have years of habits to dull the pain. I don’t, so I despise them. (I’m more likely to use OpenOffice anyway... which I also despise, but they don’t charge me for it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
Exactly. If they offer a fully baked office programme, fully compatible with existing office documents then for the Enterprise, iPad use will explode.
Which is why MS won’t do that. They’ll deliver something halfway. Which might still be well-designed, and might be useful for some purposes.

Meanwhile, third parties (like OnLive Desktop, even—which is FULL Office) meet the iOS Office need—not perfectly, but not bad either.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:17 PM   #52
redman042
macrumors 65816

These apps are guaranteed to suck.

First, Microsoft is going "all in" on their Surface tablet. The full version of Office that comes on Surface tablets is one of the few compelling reasons to even consider a Surface over an iPad (even more so now that we've all read reviews that say everything else about the Surface pretty much sucks). Microsoft would be insane to give up that advantage.

Second, full Office is massive bloatware and wouldn't run on an Apple tablet without a major strip-down. It's built on piles of legacy code dating back decades. It's no wonder that a Surface tablet consumes half its memory with just the base software install, and why Surface can't even run Office in native Win 8 Metro mode but must instead revert to desktop mode to run built-in office. How sad is that? I can only conclude that the Office team couldn't massage this bloatware into something tablet-ready in time.

I could really use full Office on my iPad. But I won't hold out hope that Microsoft will deliver it. At least Quickoffice is advancing in functionality (including Track Changes now) and I can use CloudOn or RDP/VNC to get full office when I need it.
redman042 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:32 PM   #53
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Which is why MS won’t do that. They’ll deliver something halfway. Which might still be well-designed, and might be useful for some purposes.
Agreed. Microsoft doesn't do anything for the Apple platform without gimping it in some way.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:38 PM   #54
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Microsoft greedy? Sorta pot, kettle, black if you ask me...
Yeah, he's blinded.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:54 PM   #55
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

They sure have been taking there sweet time with this. There have been rumors they have been working on Office for IOS for years.
SchuettS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:58 PM   #56
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

You must be joking. Office Word on Windows Phone 8 doesn't even have autosave, so when you get out of the app just for a second you lose everything. Apple's Pages is so much better.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:16 PM   #57
LLIBSETAG
macrumors member

Apple + iWork Software

Apple: PLEASE update & continue to develop iWork suite of Keynote, Numbers, Pages for OSX & iOS!
LLIBSETAG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:32 PM   #58
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLIBSETAG View Post
Apple: PLEASE update & continue to develop iWork suite of Keynote, Numbers, Pages for OSX & iOS!
In all honesty, they probably won't put lots of effort into it. Having office on OSX helps sell macs, and even a gimped iOS office will sell more ipads.
G51989 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:02 PM   #59
gregwyattjr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
I would rather pull out my eyes and put them on cocktail sticks than use those apps. This is one thing that MS has wrapped up, leave it to the professionals.
Really?? What do you dislike about iWork?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:13 PM   #60
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLIBSETAG View Post
The iWork suite was just updated few days ago to give better compatibility with MS Office, Track changes was added to Pages, etc.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:08 PM   #61
Krazy Bill
Banned

You all realize this will be a badly crippled version of MS-Office and require an ongoing subscription to Office360, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwyattjr View Post
It's for kids. Doesn't work in Corporate America or Universities.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:44 PM   #62
4jasontv
macrumors member

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwyattjr View Post
I love iWork, but I never use it.

Any time I need to share a document I need it to be .doc or .xlsx format because they don't have iWork. I don't trust iWork to convert it perfectly, and it has to be perfect, because if cells don't reference properly or if formatting is off then it comes across as sub par and incompetent.

Or rather, I come across that way.
4jasontv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:50 PM   #63
jicon
macrumors regular

I like the idea behind office 365. However, Apple's insistence on 30% dooms any sort of subscription model on iOS.

Take a look at the stunt Apple just pulled with SkyDrive. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/1...source=Twitter
jicon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:07 PM   #64
SurferPup
macrumors member

iWorks works on Apple OS X and iOS

I have Office For Mac: 2011 on my Apple MacBook Pro but like to access documents on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini sometimes. I purchased Numbers, Pages and Keynote Apps on my laptop for $21 each and the equilvant iOS Apps for $10.50 each. I can open Excel and Word documents appearing almost the same, save them in the iCloud, open and update on any of my hardware which is simply brilliant! Can share the iWorks documents, even to PCs. I won't need Office 365 and don't care when it comes out, how it functions or if there is a subscription fee.

Last edited by SurferPup; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
SurferPup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:12 PM   #65
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicon View Post

Take a look at the stunt Apple just pulled with SkyDrive. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/1...source=Twitter
Aw, gawd. That stupid 30% cut on subscriptions through the app store is easiest THE stupidest and greediest move Apple has ever made. Some of the contentious things they've done are at least a little understandable, if not completely agreeable. This? Not in the least.

I know. I know. Someone's gonna come in and say that it's Apple's store and blah blah blah. For apps, yeah, you're right. Apple deserves a cut of that, since they're hosting the files and acting as the storefront. But charging for subscriptions to things like Netflix and extra drive space in Dropbox? It's like Samsung charging HBO a 30% cut because people are watching the channel on a Samsung TV.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:50 AM   #66
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

I think most people would rather open up their lap top and do serious work on full programs instead of paying for a subscription for the potential stripped versions.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:13 AM   #67
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
This will change the way people see the iPad.
agreed, the number of people using the ipad for productivity will substantially increase IMHO - all we need now is a hafd decent back-lit keyboard!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:25 PM   #68
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
... "Excel for iPad", "PowerPoint for iPad", and "Office Mobile for iPhone". ...
I wonder how Microsoft is going to shoehorn the Windows 8 desktop onto iOS.
You know, so Office users can have the same experience on iOS and Windows RT.
SockRolid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:30 PM   #69
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
i like pages, numbers, and keynote better
so it means you even don't use them (Pages, Numbers)?
Pages suks, Numbers even worst.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:24 PM   #70
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
I wonder how Microsoft is going to shoehorn the Windows 8 desktop onto iOS.
You know, so Office users can have the same experience on iOS and Windows RT.
After seeing the way many multi-platform apps translate from Android, MacOS, iOS, Windows, Linux, etc. I have a feeling that the iOS version will be dumbed down a bit. I was shocked to see how much the previous version of Evernote looked on an iPhone after using it on my iPad and Android phone for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamkor04 View Post
For the tablet versions I would agree, and am still crossing my fingers for a total revamp of the software. The desktop versions haven't changed since 2009 and the iOS versions are too much of a breakaway in terms of UI.

Numbers on the iPad is just about unusable unless you just want to look at or make simple edits to your spreadsheet, and since none of them play nice with Dropbox or Google Drive you're left with virtually no solid cross-platform cloud solution.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:29 PM   #71
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamkor04 View Post
no it means i do use them. i use them all the time for college. ands it's spelled sucks, not suks
ZacNicholson is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:42 PM   #72
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
no it means i do use them. i use them all the time for college. ands it's spelled sucks, not suks
Anyway you got that "c"
And it doesnt mean Pages and Numbers less suk, wait suCk

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion