Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
So, after being out of traditional classroom math for over two years now, I'm starting to struggle with basic word problems. I'm taking an online practice exam for my upcoming math class, and I cannot figure out the answer to this question.

"A rectangular box with volume 360 cubic feet is built with a square base and top. The cost is $1.50 per square foot for the top and the bottom and $2.00 per square foot for the sides. Let x represent the length of a side of the base. Express the cost the box as a function of x."

Thanks for any help... :)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
In situations like this drawing a picture might help.

You know that you've got the top and bottom of your box and these are squares of area x times x or x^2. They in total have area 2x^2 and so the cost of the top and bottom is that times $1.5 I.e. 1.5(2x^2) or 3x^2

The sides are each of area x times the vertical, which I'll call y, and there are four of them, 4(xy), cost 2 a sq ft so 8xy.

The total cost is $360 which = 3x^2 + 8xy At this point I'm puzzled as this differs from what was suggested first above... Still, I've shown my working so am confident(!)

I suspect r.j.s. was thinking about volumes in a muddled sort of way?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I forgot to double and was don't know why I forgot the x for the sides ...

I shouldn't do maths on morphine.

I wouldn't worry, I misread the question so was at least as muddled... !

Anyway, it is actually possible now with balamw's insight.

The formula I derived above is for cost, but we need to get rid of y.

As the formula for the volume of the box which we know(!) is x.x.y then x^2y = 360

Rearranging we get a formula for y which we can substitute back in.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.