Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It's $100 and not 100$.
Sorry to be anal about this, but I see this error frequently.

Agreed, it really makes people look like complete dumbasses IMO.

How can you live X years, see prices listed hundreds of thousands of times, and still **** that up? Bugs me to no end.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I've never seen that, but I think I'm going to start using it.

Can someone lend me 100$?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
There is no right or wrong answer. Depends where you're from, really.

In the United States, Mexico, Australia, Argentina, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Pacific Island nations, and English-speaking Canada, the dollar or peso symbol precedes the number, unlike most currency symbols. Five dollars or pesos is written and printed as $5, whereas five cents is written as 5¢. In French-speaking Canada, the dollar symbol usually appears after the number (5$), although it sometimes appears in front of it, or instead may even be totally absent

Another common scenario is that some people would write "5€" for their currency. So when they talk in terms of dollars, it might be natural just to write "5$". And it's not just particular to Europe.

Not something worth complaining about though. If I had to complain about something I see often, it would be your/you're/their/they're/there/it/it's. :)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Agreed, it really makes people look like complete dumbasses IMO.

How can you live X years, see prices listed hundreds of thousands of times, and still **** that up? Bugs me to no end.

Conversely, how can you live X years in a world with billions of people not in your own country and not understand that different cultures do things differently?

And no, with things like this there is no inherently "right" way to do it.

Despite my own country putting the currency symbol before the figure (unless we're talking about cents), I believe the euro way (after the figure) is probably better because that's the way you say it.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Conversely, how can you live X years in a world with billions of people not in your own country and not understand that different cultures do things differently?

And no, with things like this there is no inherently "right" way to do it.

Despite my own country putting the currency symbol before the figure (unless we're talking about cents), I believe the euro way (after the figure) is probably better because that's the way you say it.

But this (and most other English websites/forums) are American based, so that's a moot point.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I like it after because it's like how you read it.

five dollars

5 $

To be fair, if all of English was written the same way that it was spoken then it'd look completely different.

Something like: to be fare, if all ov inglish was ritten the same way that it was spouken then ittid look kompletelee different.

Obviously I'm going a little (OK, a lot) overboard there but you get my point :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
To be fair, if all of English was written the same way that it was spoken then it'd look completely different.

Something like: to be fare, if all ov inglish was ritten the same way that it was spouken then ittid look kompletelee different.

Obviously I'm going a little (OK, a lot) overboard there but you get my point :)

Off topic but you guys have cool money in New Zealand :D

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
But this (and most other English websites/forums) are American based, so that's a moot point.

Newsflash: it's on the internet, open to internet users (the majority of which are not in the USA), and is in support of devices made in China.

edit:
It is Xenophobic attitudes like that, that give the USA a bad name.

----------

Putting it after is an eyesore if you're looking at a list of prices in a variable-width font. Big warbling column of dancing dollar signs on the right side. Due to English reading order being left-to-right, putting repetitive things on the left will have them adhere to columns cleanly.

Depends if you align left or align right.

Is not an insurmountable problem.

Last edited:

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Where is the logic in putting the dollar sign before the number? Does one say "I owe him dollar five hundred"?

Now OP, please stop acting as if the United States of America were the only country in the world, or as if their standards were also de-facto standards for the rest of the world.

I was taught to write numbers in the following way: 1 000 000,00$, and will continue to do so even though it hurts some people's feelings. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Where is the logic in putting the dollar sign before the number? Does one say "I owe him dollar five hundred"?

Now OP, please stop acting as if the United States of America were the only country in the world, or as if their standards were also de-facto standards for the rest of the world.

I was taught to write numbers in the following way: 1 000 000,00$, and will continue to do so even though it hurts some people's feelings. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Sorry, I see there are some exceptions to the rule, but I'm mostly annoyed by this in local Craigslist ads and US posters to this forum. I see that they write the way they speak (fifty dollars, 50$).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.