Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I am planning on buying my first domain for a (hopeful) future website I want to build. Currently the domain I want is available as a .com but is considered premium and is ridiculously expensive. The .net is currently taken but the owner has lapsed on his registration and it expired Sep 28, 2012. How long must I wait before I can register this domain? Are there additional steps i need to take to register this? Will the .net still be considered premium to name cheap and cost thousands?

Thanks!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
If I'm not mistaken the owner has a period of like 70 days to pay a ridiculous amount of money to repurchase the domain. If he doesn't, then it becomes available. However, I'd keep your eye out because an advertising company might buy it and then you have to wait for it to expire all over again.

A domain name costing thousands of dollars though? That doesn't sound right... ".com" domains usually go for like $10.69/year at NameCheap.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Hmmm... I just checked and 70 days past Sep 28 is Dec 7, so it should be available soon?

The .com is a "Premium" domain, I'm not sure how it distinguishes between them, but I'm not paying $5,000.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Hmmm... I just checked and 70 days past Sep 28 is Dec 7, so it should be available soon?

The .com is a "Premium" domain, I'm not sure how it distinguishes between them, but I'm not paying $5,000.

What that means is that it is not, technically, 'available' - it is owned by somebody who is willing to sell it to you. In my understanding an unowned domain name is one that nobody has claimed (or has let lapse and is back into the pool). They are all in the $10 to $15 range... the only difference in pricing is due to who is offering the domain, and their profit margin/services offered. I'd keep looking for an unclaimed domain name. If you are in a country other than the US, there my be country codes you can use that are not available outside the US. For instance, the .CA code (instead of .COM) is only available to Canadian entities.

There are also country codes that are available to anyone... like .ME and .TV. These may cost more since their prices are determined by their country's policy.

Good Luck.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I'm in the USA. I just Whois'd the .com domain and says that it is for sale. So I take it someone owns it and it currently posting it as avilable on the domain sellers websites.

As for the .net, it says it is on "Backorder", which I assume means he is in his grace period. Is my only option to wait and check regularly if it becomes available?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
If I'm not mistaken the owner has a period of like 70 days to pay a ridiculous amount of money to repurchase the domain. If he doesn't, then it becomes available. However, I'd keep your eye out because an advertising company might buy it and then you have to wait for it to expire all over again.

A domain name costing thousands of dollars though? That doesn't sound right... ".com" domains usually go for like $10.69/year at NameCheap.

He is probably trying to register through godaddy which auctions off "premium" domains for thousands.

May 8, 2008
I recently registered two domains through register.com

I'd recommend trying register.com and a combination of the coupon codes found here. I got my first domain for 90% off and my second for 35% off. Well worth it IMO.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Have you considered a top-level country domain? It depends of course on the nature of the website, but it could even be better than a .net :)

What's a top-level country domain? You mean like the Swiss .ch is, which is for example, much more expensive than the German .de ?

I got a .net domain since it's meant as a kind of platform, so network was more appropriate instead of commerce. One thing I'd consider is, that, if your domain-name is rather unique, I wouldn't get a .net if .com is already used or vice versa since it can be confusing.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
What's a top-level country domain? You mean like the Swiss .ch is, which is for example, much more expensive than the German .de ?

I got a .net domain since it's meant as a kind of platform, so network was more appropriate instead of commerce. One thing I'd consider is, that, if your domain-name is rather unique, I wouldn't get a .net if .com is already used or vice versa since it can be confusing.

I mean, like: .us for the USA, .co.nz for NZ, .co.uk for the UK, .jp for Japan, etc... Domains that are specific for that country :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I mean, like: .us for the USA, .co.nz for NZ, .co.uk for the UK, .jp for Japan, etc... Domains that are specific for that country :)

But you need to live in those countries or need a proxy to register. Can be painful specially if you are globally flexible and move around a bit. I preferr the "neutral" .com/.net domains as they don't care where you live as long you pay.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
But you need to live in those countries or need a proxy to register. Can be painful specially if you are globally flexible and move around a bit. I preferr the "neutral" .com/.net domains as they don't care where you live as long you pay.

Only in some cases. For instance, I believe Tuvalu and Montenegro don't demand residency.... .TV and .ME

But for others it is a requirement. So... the OP needs to check around a bit.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Not true - I managed to register a .us domain normally, without using a proxy, despite the fact that I'm located in New Zealand and my IP address reflects that :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Not true - I managed to register a .us domain normally, without using a proxy, despite the fact that I'm located in New Zealand and my IP address reflects that :)

Might work for some; not for all TLD. For .de and .jp (and others) you need a residence. But we are sliding off-track for OPs original question :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.