Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucaspkm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Hi Guys,

My Lion Server crashes 2 times in a role, 1 happens recently another 1 couple of months back no idea what is happening to it but whenever it crashes file sharing would go haywire as in permission for the folder seems not working at all I'll need help with it no idea what is really wrong with it.

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Hi Guys,

My Lion Server crashes 2 times in a role, 1 happens recently another 1 couple of months back no idea what is happening to it but whenever it crashes file sharing would go haywire as in permission for the folder seems not working at all I'll need help with it no idea what is really wrong with it.

I might be way out here, but have you tried some basic maintenance first? i.e. verify and repair disk permissions on your server HD and also any external discs you might have connected?

Any recent installs that haven't installed properly? i.e. updates etc... I always reboot when I've had any updates or install stuff....

Failing that monitor the machine temp as I have a mini running Lion Server and it cut out on me once because it just got too hot....

HTH

lucaspkm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
I might be way out here, but have you tried some basic maintenance first? i.e. verify and repair disk permissions on your server HD and also any external discs you might have connected?

Any recent installs that haven't installed properly? i.e. updates etc... I always reboot when I've had any updates or install stuff....

Failing that monitor the machine temp as I have a mini running Lion Server and it cut out on me once because it just got too hot....

HTH

I'm running on xserve late 2008 nothing much have done to it, HDD verify and permission all are good. but it slows down a lot no idea why or it never been fast at the first place when running on lion could it be the ram I'm running on 8 gb of ram.

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
I'm running on xserve late 2008 nothing much have done to it, HDD verify and permission all are good. but it slows down a lot no idea why or it never been fast at the first place when running on lion could it be the ram I'm running on 8 gb of ram.

Quite possibly, it all depends what you are running when it starts to degrade in performance.... hmmm.. many factors to consider..... Have you tried Apple support or the Apple site forums? (you might have done already but I thought I'd ask).

lucaspkm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Quite possibly, it all depends what you are running when it starts to degrade in performance.... hmmm.. many factors to consider..... Have you tried Apple support or the Apple site forums? (you might have done already but I thought I'd ask).

well I can't decide whether to upgrade the machine a not because so far i guess no 1 will support xserve anymore is disheartening. sigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.