Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:31 PM   #426
Jjaro
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xace View Post
Thank you for your report. Please let us know if you encounter any problem with your setup. Let's see if there are more successes with the 2.2 and 2.3 Ghz Early 2011 versions.
I AM having a problem, one that seems to be very common: I cannot install Windows without reinstalling the stupid Superdrive installed (fortunately, I kept it (just in case) in an external enclosure). I have tried lots of different things, but in order for it to be "officially" recognized by the computer. As in, for me to be able to boot using Windows using the "option" key.

I am pretty darn pissed about this. Why, for the life of me, Apple doesn't allow modification OF A COMPUTER THAT I OWN AND PAID A PREMIUM FOR makes me VERY angry (and I've been an Apple user since I like 9; first one was the Fam's 12 Mhz LCII!).

Anywho, so I've tried formatting the SSD first, but then, when I create a Logical Group using only the partition I want to put Mac OS X on, the installer refuses to want to install Mountain Lion. Anyone have any answers for this? Maybe I can't use the SSD, but only the larger HDD for my Windows partition?
__________________
My first Mac was a 16 MHZ LC II (I was 11)! Been a Mac user ever since.

Last edited by Jjaro; Dec 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: It make more sense now.
Jjaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:43 PM   #427
Jjaro
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogens View Post
" but I have no idea if there is any easy way to test if this set-up is working the way a Fusion Drive is supposed to? ie. smartly rearranging all my files on the SSD/HDD.
I have exactly the same setup and wonder the same. We need to compare the DIY fusiondrive with a "real" apple fusiondrive using the same cloned harddrive setup doing the same operations, to be shure they work the same way. My FUD seems snappy , but I' m not getting the speeds seen on the 2012 mac mini. Maybe because my drive is three quarter full?[/QUOTE]

Although it certainly appears to be doing just that, as my boot time was less than 15 seconds (before the aforementioned problem, which I am trying to fix now).
__________________
My first Mac was a 16 MHZ LC II (I was 11)! Been a Mac user ever since.
Jjaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:53 PM   #428
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjaro View Post
I AM having a problem, one that seems to be very common: I cannot install Windows without reinstalling the stupid Superdrive installed (fortunately, I kept it (just in case) in an external enclosure). I have tried lots of different things, but in order for it to be "officially" recognized by the computer. As in, for me to be able to boot using Windows using the "option" key.

I am pretty darn pissed about this. Why, for the life of me, Apple doesn't allow modification OF A COMPUTER THAT I OWN AND PAID A PREMIUM FOR makes me VERY angry (and I've been an Apple user since I like 9; first one was the Fam's 12 Mhz LCII!).

Anywho, so I've tried formatting the SSD first, but then, when I create a Logical Group using only the partition I want to put Mac OS X on, the installer refuses to want to install Mountain Lion. Anyone have any answers for this? Maybe I can't use the SSD, but only the larger HDD for my Windows partition?
I have created a DIY Fusion drive with a larger SSD partitioned so Windows is on the SSD and the remaining OS X partition is joined with the hard disk as a Fusion drive and it is working fine on a Mac Mini. You can find my posts on these forums for more details.

Good luck...

-howard
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:25 AM   #429
spotsphill
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Anyone know whether the DIY Fusion Drive can be done with a Late 2008 13" MacBook? I did it for my Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro and it has worked out amazingly; now I want to embark on speeding up my wife's computer. I haven't been able to find any sites that list which models this technique works for.

Thanks!
spotsphill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:54 AM   #430
gdourado
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
From what I read here, lot's of problems running a DIY fusion drive on the early 2011 15 mbp...
How about the late 2011 2.2 i7 15 inch?
Any problems? Anyone has a fusion running on one?

Cheers!
gdourado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:58 AM   #431
Cave Man
macrumors 604
 
Cave Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdourado View Post
From what I read here, lot's of problems running a DIY fusion drive on the early 2011 15 mbp...
How about the late 2011 2.2 i7 15 inch?
Any problems? Anyone has a fusion running on one?

Cheers!
I have the late 2011 15" MBP with a 120 gb OWC SSD and 1 TB Samsung as a fusion drive and it seems to work just fine.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini; i5 Quad Core ITX Hackintosh with Blu-ray playback HTPC; 1 TB eSATA Apple TV; 3.8 gHz i7 Quad Core Hackintosh, 2GB HD5870; MacBook Pro i7; MacBook Air; iPhone 4s; 1st Mac=Centris 610
Cave Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:39 PM   #432
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsphill View Post
Anyone know whether the DIY Fusion Drive can be done with a Late 2008 13" MacBook? I did it for my Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro and it has worked out amazingly; now I want to embark on speeding up my wife's computer. I haven't been able to find any sites that list which models this technique works for.

Thanks!
It is dependent on which version of OS X you are running. The Fusion functionality is in OS X 10.8.2, previous versions may not function properly, or at all. The hardware shouldn't be a problem if it runs OS X 10.8.2 properly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
I have the late 2011 15" MBP with a 120 gb OWC SSD and 1 TB Samsung as a fusion drive and it seems to work just fine.
I have it running fine as well on a late 2011 15" MBPro with 256GB Crucial M-4 SSD and the original 750GB 7200rpm drive mounted in an OptiBay.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:34 PM   #433
Cozmo85
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Is there a way to verify my fusion drive is working. I setup the drive under 10.8.2 then booted off a USB stick and did a clean 10.8 install, detected it as one volume fine. I didn't realize till after that it was gm release I installed and not 10.8.2. I have 10.8.2 now but when I do about this Mac and click storage it doesn't say hard drive plus flash storage, should it or is that only on new macs with fusion setup from the factory?

The 2 drives are joined I just want to know if I can verify fusion is working.
Cozmo85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:30 PM   #434
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo85 View Post
Is there a way to verify my fusion drive is working. I setup the drive under 10.8.2 then booted off a USB stick and did a clean 10.8 install, detected it as one volume fine. I didn't realize till after that it was gm release I installed and not 10.8.2. I have 10.8.2 now but when I do about this Mac and click storage it doesn't say hard drive plus flash storage, should it or is that only on new macs with fusion setup from the factory?

The 2 drives are joined I just want to know if I can verify fusion is working.
That sounds normal. It seems that the new Macs label it that way.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:04 PM   #435
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
essentially a Fusion drive is similar to what Seagate sells but they call it a Hybrid drive.

Just not as much ssd on the hybrid, and works the same? NO?
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD

Last edited by Wicked1; Dec 27, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:18 PM   #436
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
essentially a Fusion drive is similar to what Seagate sells but they call it a Hybrid drive.

Just no as much sad on the hybrid, and works the same? NO?
no...


There are many threads here you should read for a better understanding of the Fusion drive.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:15 AM   #437
irex01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
error -69780: unable to create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume

I try to create fusion drive with samsung ssd 128GB on 6G/s SATA (disk0) and HHD 1TB on 3G/s SATA(disk1). i'm able to create logical volume from command

diskutil cs create "name" disk0 disk1

but endup with error -69780 "unable to create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume" when i try to create corestorage volume from command

diskutil coreStorage createVolume LVG UUID jhfs+ "name" 100% or 1TB . Could anyone help me out

My system is asus p8z77-v lk with i7 3770 and ati 6850


thankyou so much
irex01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:26 AM   #438
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irex01 View Post
I try to create fusion drive with samsung ssd 128GB on 6G/s SATA (disk0) and HHD 1TB on 3G/s SATA(disk1). i'm able to create logical volume from command

diskutil cs create "name" disk0 disk1

but endup with error -69780 "unable to create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume" when i try to create corestorage volume from command

diskutil coreStorage createVolume LVG UUID jhfs+ "name" 100% or 1TB . Could anyone help me out

My system is asus p8z77-v lk with i7 3770 and ati 6850


thankyou so much
What are you using for "LVG UUID" and "name"?

You might show the output of your diskutil list and diskutil cs list commands. Cut & Paste from your terminal window.


This may help as well...

How to create a Fusion drive:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2014...ion-drive.html


-howard
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:39 AM   #439
irex01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
What are you using for "LVG UUID" and "name"?

You might show the output of your diskutil list and diskutil cs list commands. Cut & Paste from your terminal window.


This may help as well...

How to create a Fusion drive:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2014...ion-drive.html


-howard
The "LVG UUID" is the string of logical volume group which is obtained after doing

diskutil cs create " name" disk0 disk1 [enter]

where name is a name for logical volume
disk0 is location of ssd
disk1 is location of hhd
thing's doing fine up to this point

but when i try to create coreStorage, it says error -69780

here is from terminal


-bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Untitled 127.7 GB disk0s2
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Untitled 999.9 GB disk1s2
/dev/disk2
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *16.0 GB disk2
1: Apple_HFS INSTAD 16.0 GB disk2s1
/dev/disk3
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *524.3 KB disk3
/dev/disk4
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *524.3 KB disk4
/dev/disk5
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *524.3 KB disk5
/dev/disk6
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *524.3 KB disk6
/dev/disk7
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *524.3 KB disk7
/dev/disk8
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *6.3 MB disk8
/dev/disk9
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *2.1 MB disk9
/dev/disk10
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *1.0 MB disk10
/dev/disk11
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *524.3 KB disk11
/dev/disk12
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *524.3 KB disk12
/dev/disk13
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: untitled *1.0 MB disk13
-bash-3.2# diskutil cs create "Fusion Drive" disk0 disk1
Started CoreStorage operation
Unmounting disk0
Repartitioning disk0
Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Rediscovering disk0
Adding disk0s2 to Logical Volume Group
Unmounting disk1
Repartitioning disk1
Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Rediscovering disk1
Adding disk1s2 to Logical Volume Group
Creating Core Storage Logical Volume Group
Switching disk0s2 to Core Storage
Switching disk1s2 to Core Storage
Waiting for Logical Volume Group to appear
Discovered new Logical Volume Group "315CF079-28B9-49A9-A06B-01D4451F44EA"
Core Storage LVG UUID: 315CF079-28B9-49A9-A06B-01D4451F44EA
Finished CoreStorage operation
-bash-3.2# diskutil coreStorage createVolume 315CF079-28B9-49A9-A06B-01D4451F44EA jhfs+ "Macintosh FD" 100%
Started CoreStorage operation
Error: -69780: Unable to create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume
-bash-3.2# diskutil cs list
CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)
|
+-- Logical Volume Group 315CF079-28B9-49A9-A06B-01D4451F44EA
=========================================================
Name: Fusion Drive
Size: 1127552614400 B (1.1 TB)
Free Space: 1123586883584 B (1.1 TB)
|
+-< Physical Volume 84DB35FE-C3B4-4D8A-839D-FBBC02EAB4C0
| ----------------------------------------------------
| Index: 0
| Disk: disk0s2
| Status: Online
| Size: 127691702272 B (127.7 GB)
|
+-< Physical Volume E01D3AFF-19F0-4AE3-98DF-D2191AFE3260
----------------------------------------------------
Index: 1
Disk: disk1s2
Status: Online
Size: 999860912128 B (999.9 GB)
-bash-3.2# diskutil corestorage createvolume 315CF079-28B9-49A9-A06B-01D4451F44EA jhfs+ "Macintosh FD" 100%
Started CoreStorage operation
Error: -69780: Unable to create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume
-bash-3.2#

Last edited by irex01; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
irex01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:40 AM   #440
bikemd
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by irex01 View Post
My system is asus p8z77-v lk with i7 3770 and ati 6850
I think that's your problem right there. It is one thing to try a DIY Fusion Drive using an older Mac. It is totally new territory and another level of complexity to try to create a Fusion Drive using what is a Hackintosh with non-Apple hardware. Don't know if you will be successful with that.
bikemd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:51 AM   #441
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Are you running OS X 10.8.2 on that Hackintosh?

After a quick read of your session, it looks like you are doing everything right. And after the error, it appears that it did create a fusion drive, although the name is different. You might try searching for information on that error number.

And bikemd is correct, the system may be the problem. I haven't seen reports here of anyone creating a fusion drive on non-Apple hardware ... yet.

Last edited by hfg; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:03 AM   #442
irex01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
oh, maybe that. thank you
irex01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:25 PM   #443
Cozmo85
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Interesting thing happened, i had a homemade fusion drive setup in my iMac but had to change the ssd out for a different model. So i changed out the ssd and booted off a flash drive i made from a 10.8.2 download from yesterday off the app store. Went to disk utility (this is with a new blank ssd and the hard drive from the old fusion drive). Disk utility noticed the original ssd was swapped out, offered me the option to fix, and it rebuilt my fusion drive with the new ssd. Installing 10.8.2 on my new fusion drive now.

it does not save any data but i did not have to do anything in terminal to get a new fusion drive going.
Cozmo85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:40 PM   #444
gdourado
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Does the DIY fusion work on a 2010 21.5 3.06 i3 iMac with an SSD on the optical drive slot?

Cheers
gdourado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:25 PM   #445
Tech198
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Apple ring out fusion drive (a *new* "praise the lord" kind of moment) ya right.....

And some smart ass gets it to work on older Macs ..... No surprise..


Lesson for Apple to learn is ......... Even if they "try" and retrict stuff, guess what.... we'll always get round it if thats what people want...

So really, this "walled-gaden" is trimmed...

(looks ugly now too) ....
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 4th Gen 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:29 PM   #446
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
Lesson for Apple to learn is ......... Even if they "try" and retrict stuff, guess what.... we'll always get round it if thats what people want...

So really, this "walled-gaden" is trimmed...

(looks ugly now too) ....
Wait what ? What makes you think Apple tried to restrict anything here ? Not publicly documenting a feature is not restricting it, it's just not documenting it. What does this have to do with "walled-gardens" exactly ?

You're obviously confused, step away for a moment.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:43 PM   #447
Tech198
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Wait what ? What makes you think Apple tried to restrict anything here ? Not publicly documenting a feature is not restricting it, it's just not documenting it. What does this have to do with "walled-gardens" exactly ?

You're obviously confused, step away for a moment.
If I was referring to the Fusion drive, I would have said it ....
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 4th Gen 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:11 PM   #448
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
If I was referring to the Fusion drive, I would have said it ....
You did say it. And if you weren't talking about it, then you're even more confused than I thought you were. This thread is about using Core Storage to build a volume that operates like the new Fusion drive.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:07 AM   #449
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
what happens when either the ssd or hdd fail in a Fusion drive, you lose everything, so basically make sure you have good backups after you fuse the drives before proceeding.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD
Wicked1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:08 AM   #450
jowie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
what happens when either the ssd or hdd fail in a Fusion drive, you lose everything, so basically make sure you have good backups after you fuse the drives before proceeding.
My thoughts exactly. Fusion drive is the equivalent of RAID 0, which effectively doubles the failure rate. I would've much preferred a RAID 1 style implementation (in the sense of the flash space being a duplicate rather than the only version of the data), providing redundancy and therefore allowing for SSD failure.
jowie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does apple stock 27" with fusion drive? super tomtendo iMac 7 Jan 17, 2013 11:12 AM
Apple's New 'Fusion Drive' Not a Typical Hybrid Drive MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 363 Jan 8, 2013 07:52 AM
Fusion Drive Upgrade After Delivery. Will Apple Do This? Auramancer iMac 3 Jan 4, 2013 03:27 AM
Is the Fusion drive smart like Apple claims? mariotheotaku Buying Tips and Advice 2 Dec 29, 2012 07:29 PM
Fusion drive or apple care Gumbys69 iMac 21 Nov 29, 2012 09:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC