Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:11 AM   #1
JohnnyComeLatly
macrumors member

AT&T Tethering, iPhone and Apple TV for movie streaming

Question: I have two houses. One has everything (internet, TV, and phone). The second only has analog phone (no cable TV or broadband cable/DSL). I'd rather not have a 2nd cable/internet bill at the second house, since both houses are never used at the same time, however, I'd like to have on-demand TV/movies at the second house.

Can I use my AT&T iPhone 5 to stream movies from the Internet (apps, such as Hulu, iTunes, etc) via 4G LTE network, to the TV somehow? Two things come to mind: video out from the iPhone 5 straight to the TV, or, using the tethered internet service from AT&T, through the iPhone 5, to the Apple TV (either Bluetooth or local hotspot wifi). Ideas are welcome!

Only reqs are:
1) somewhat simple to install. I'm in Afghanistan so I have to be able to talk the wife, non-technical, through this over the phone
2) allows streaming of video (TV or movie) to standalone TV via an iPhone 5 with AT&T service, grandfathered unlimited data plan. I'd like to use a Apple TV but not mandatory.

The AT&T sales guy convinced my wife with U-Verse, she can DVR a movie at the 1st house, and then wirelessly (assuming through AT&T 4G LTE) watch it via an iPad at the 2nd house. What she didn't realize was the two iPads they have are WIFI only (no broadband at 2nd house to provide internet/wifi router). I have 4G/Wifi iPad (3rd) but I'm not giving it up.
JohnnyComeLatly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater