Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
It's $100 and not 100$.
Sorry to be anal about this, but I see this error frequently.

Even before I read the rest of the thread, I know this is going to be good one. Travel internationally much?

----------

I'm pretty sure it goes after.

Don't believe this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

But this (and most other English websites/forums) are American based, so that's a moot point.

Sorry, I see there are some exceptions to the rule, but I'm mostly annoyed by this in local Craigslist ads and US posters to this forum. I see that they write the way they speak (fifty dollars, 50$).

Yep. I was right. The 'furriners' pointing out that there is world outside the USA, and then xenocentric "But this is an American website" and then the 'furriners' pointing out another global reality, and then the clarification that the OP just really meant to rant about the American Craigslist and forgot about, well, everybody else.

I've seen better, but this met expectations.

----------

I'll give this one a 6.5 out of 11 - in honour of 'eleventy cents'.... that is if 'honour' doesn't set off another rant.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
It's the way people say it. Hey I found one hundred dollars (100 $). Not hey I found dollars hundred ($ 100). So I see where some people might make the error.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Lmao!!!

I have about $300 NZ dollars I forgot to cash back out when I left NZ. I'm keeping it for when I go back :D

If you're ever in Auz I think you can use NZ cash over there ;) I went into a NZ dairy once with a bunch of Auz coins and the Indian behind the counter was very eager to take them (although maybe it's because Auz money is worth more than NZ, so he actually got more than I should have given him :eek:).

----------

It's the way people say it. Hey I found one hundred dollars (100 $). Not hey I found dollars hundred ($ 100). So I see where some people might make the error.

Yeah, if they learn it off da streets rather than the classroom :cool:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Interesting profile name to topic correlation OP. I do agree with you though...totally centsless mistakes. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I fundamentally dislike the $ on it's own, regardless of whether you write $100 or 100$. Why? Because it offers no way to tell which of the many unimaginative countries who all use the same name for their different currencies this refers to. Next time someone asks me for $100 they are getting 100 HKD (current value about 12 USD).

And don't get me started on people who use both major and minor currency symbols at the same time (e.g. £12.53p).

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
And don't get me started on people who use both major and minor currency symbols at the same time (e.g. £12.53p).

I can honestly say that I have never seen $12.53¢ presented to me. :)

But if the spoken word would be truly followed (by people without imagination) it would be 12$&53¢.

I might actually lose it, should that happen. :D

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I can honestly say that I have never seen $12.53¢ presented to me. :)

But if the spoken word would be truly followed (by people without imagination) it would be 12$&53¢.

I might actually lose it, should that happen. :D

well if they had '&' it would make sense, so i would give it a pass, but with the '.' it doesn't make any sense.
however, i have never ever seen it as well so i suppose it's not that common.

as far as the original point, it certainly makes more sense to put the sign after.
Like with so many other notations derived from the imperial/british system (date, units, temperature, shoe size, etc.) we stuck to the vastly inferior ones out of laziness and a misplaced sense of superiority/exceptionalism.

in any case, this thread gets my vote for "inane thread of the year"

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
edit:
It is Xenophobic attitudes like that, that give the USA a bad name.

Yep. I was right. The 'furriners' pointing out that there is world outside the USA, and then xenocentric "But this is an American website" and then the 'furriners' pointing out another global reality, and then the clarification that the OP just really meant to rant about the American Craigslist and forgot about, well, everybody else.

Nice try but I lived abroad for a good while; hardly xenophobic and pretty much the antithesis of the USA! USA! USA! redneck AMURR'CA trash.:rolleyes:

Too bad 90% of the people that **** up by putting the dollar symbol after the number are Americans.:rolleyes:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I blame the French.

Well, because I always do.

Made me laugh, here, spend it wisely...

1freeinternet1236x200.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's $100 and not 100$.
Sorry to be anal about this, but I see this error frequently.

Perhaps, pedantic, but yes, relevant thread.....and yes, I agree with you. My teeth grind too, when I see such errors......

Agreed, it really makes people look like complete dumbasses IMO.

How can you live X years, see prices listed hundreds of thousands of times, and still **** that up? Bugs me to no end.

Yes. Amazing. Sigh. I had students (university students) who could not differentiate between 'there' and 'their' and 'they're'......among many other (basic) horrors.

I blame the French.

Well, because I always do.

The French are always well worth blaming (but less so now, since Mr Sarkozy lost office; perhaps I'm prejudiced....)

I feel like you're fretting over trivia.

Not really. Written forms tend to be a bit more formal than spoken forms and, as such, an agreed (and accurate) form of communication is welcome. I don't see sloppiness in written communication - especially in a formal context - as mere trivia.

To be fair, if all of English was written the same way that it was spoken then it'd look completely different.

Something like: to be fare, if all ov inglish was ritten the same way that it was spouken then ittid look kompletelee different.

Obviously I'm going a little (OK, a lot) overboard there but you get my point :)

Ah, yes. Around four hundred years ago, the written language (of English) approximated pretty closely to the spoken language as it then was. However, over the next two hundred years (caused by what is termed 'the great vowel shift' among other things) - the spoken language changed - or evolved - and the written language remained as it was. Hence, we now have a situation where the language as written sometimes does not reflect how it is pronounced........

Where is the logic in putting the dollar sign before the number? Does one say "I owe him dollar five hundred"?

Now OP, please stop acting as if the United States of America were the only country in the world, or as if their standards were also de-facto standards for the rest of the world.

I was taught to write numbers in the following way: 1 000 000,00$, and will continue to do so even though it hurts some people's feelings. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.

The way currency denominations are written probably long pre-exists the foundation of the US. Indeed, I rather imagine that standard double entry book-keeping practices conformed to this ideal long before the Pilgrim Fathers set sail; while it might be the standard for the US, it was a standard which predated same.....

Agreed, it is very annoying.

Yes, it is. Agreed.

Even before I read the rest of the thread, I know this is going to be good one. Travel internationally much?

----------

----------

I'll give this one a 6.5 out of 11 - in honour of 'eleventy cents'.... that is if 'honour' doesn't set off another rant.

Oh, as threads go, I like this sort of stuff. Personally, I have to say I find it a lot less trying than some others.......

And people think I'm cranky!!! :D

You should try me on a bad.....anal retentive, pedantic, and exceedingly precise day.....cranky does not begin to describe it.....

well if they had '&' it would make sense, so i would give it a pass, but with the '.' it doesn't make any sense.
however, i have never ever seen it as well so i suppose it's not that common.

as far as the original point, it certainly makes more sense to put the sign after.
Like with so many other notations derived from the imperial/british system (date, units, temperature, shoe size, etc.) we stuck to the vastly inferior ones out of laziness and a misplaced sense of superiority/exceptionalism.

in any case, this thread gets my vote for "inane thread of the year"

Two points. I don't see this as the 'inane thread of the year'. I'm a nerd, so I like this stuff. And I have to say I sometimes find the emotional stuff ('my girlfriend doesn't love me any more....') much more inane. But there you are. That is mere personal preference and psychological make-up.

Secondly, in speech, yes, of course, placing the currency after the sum makes total sense, as your interlocutor often already knows what you are talking about. However, the written form is different. There, it makes sense to clarify what you are talking about as early as possible - thus, knowing the currency of which you write, in advance of the sum cited, makes much more sense when written, and, as such has become an agreed convention, especially when one discusses transnational transactions.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Not really. Written forms tend to be a bit more formal than spoken forms and, as such, an agreed (and accurate) form of communication is welcome. I don't see sloppiness in written communication - especially in a formal context - as mere trivia.

In the proper context, it is important to adopt the correct style for your region: I agree. But without any context in the OP just sounded (to me) rigid to the point of being angry even in trivial cases. Hence my post. :cool:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Perhaps, pedantic, but yes, relevant thread.....and yes, I agree with you. My teeth grind too, when I see such errors......

Not really. Written forms tend to be a bit more formal than spoken forms and, ...

Ah, yes. Around four hundred years ago, the written language (of English) approximated pretty closely to the spoken language as it then was.
Agreed. Mostly, iirc, because dictionaries had not yet been invented, and therefore there was no reference mark. And many people were just one step up from illiterate, so they sounded out the words and wrote it out phonetically.
However, over the next two hundred years (caused by what is termed 'the great vowel shift' among other things) - the spoken language changed - or evolved - and the written language remained as it was. ...
Here I disagree - Try to read Mallory's le Morte d'Arthur...

"so she mourned pryuely and held hir pees / Thenne alle the barons by one assent prayd the Kynge of accord betwixe the lady Igrayne and hym / the kynge gaf hem leue / for fayne wold he haue ben accorded with her / Soo the kyng put alle the trust in Vlfyus to entrete bitwene them so by the entrete at the last the kyng & she met to gyder"

A good friend, who studied this stuff in school, told me that if you read it with a really heavy Monty Python German accent you'll be pretty close to what it sounded like back in the days of yore...
The way currency denominations are written probably long pre-exists the foundation of the US.
What, the Americans didn't invent currency? Quel Surprise!
Indeed, I rather imagine that standard double entry book-keeping practices conformed to this ideal long before the Pilgrim Fathers set sail; while it might be the standard for the US, it was a standard which predated same.....
Yes, around the 13th century... which has nothing to do with whether the currency marker precedes or follows the figures.
Secondly, in speech, yes, of course, placing the currency after the sum makes total sense,
Why? Sometimes I say "A dollar fifty", or "Two dollars and fifty cents" (which would be written as "1$50" or 2$50).
... it makes sense to clarify what you are talking about as early as possible - thus, knowing the currency of which you write, in advance of the sum cited, makes much more sense when written,
Um, no. In that case you would need to be writing CAD$ 100, or AUS$ 100 or NZ$ 100, etc etc and not just $100 since that is very very ambiguous.
and, as such has become an agreed convention, especially when one discusses transnational transactions.

Not so much, in my opinion.

--------

So, how come it's $100 but not Kg100 or Lb100?

We say "One hundred dollars" and One hundred kilograms" But we write them differently. Or º35 (for 35 degrees), or Km100 (for 100 kilometres).

Why is currency the weird on in the bunch? It seems to me to make much more sense to move the currency symbol to the back. Maybe all of those other countries actually have it right?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Conversely, how can you live X years in a world with billions of people not in your own country and not understand that different cultures do things differently?

And no, with things like this there is no inherently "right" way to do it.

Despite my own country putting the currency symbol before the figure (unless we're talking about cents), I believe the euro way (after the figure) is probably better because that's the way you say it.

Since people live in different countries, and there are plenty of different dollars in different countries, it would be worthwhile to use "US$" or "Aus$" or "NZ$" or whatever is correct to avoid confusion. (You might argue that US$ is the most common case, so using $ is fine, but how is one supposed to know whether you are an American talking about US dollars, or an Australian forgetting to write Aus$ ?)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I get the suffering from the TS, but just wondering where does it say it has to be at the front, besides cultural knowledge of the use of the $ sign?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.