Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Find My iPhone is useful, until they shut your phone off

They didn't steal an iPhone just to use it as a paperweight.

It'll come on again.

findYoukillYou.jpg

----------

but when will we get walking/biking/public transport directions to the thief's house?!

How about windage/elevation adjustments for a given caliber and grain?

Lucianrider

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
St. Lucia, West Indies
How difficult would it be that once you report the device lost/stolen that it becomes impossible to completely turn it off or silence it? It could look like its off with no display but it would still be on transmitting its position.

When you get close you can call it and it will ring indicating where it is.

Sounds like a no brainer to me!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why don’t they just come out and say it? This is basically a “I woke up in a ditch and I don’t know where I am, take me back to wherever I was last night, maybe they will feed me” app.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Can't wait to hear the first story about someone innocent being accused of stealing someone's iPhone, because Siri pointed to the wrong house.

"I have called the cops. Now give me back my iPhone!"
"But... But... This really is -my- iPhone!"

:D

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
GREAT....so not only does your iPhone get stolen, you get beat up by the same guy that stole it.

LOL!

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I understand the logic in applying this feature, but isn't there a slight risk to Apple in including it? That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door.
You call the police, before you do that.

----------

GREAT....so not only does your iPhone get stolen, you get beat up by the same guy that stole it.
If you are stupid enough, yes.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
that app is pretty useless anyway. lets say u lose your iPhone and follow the spot on your map, how can u possibly know which person stole your iphone? there are probably at least 5 people fairly close that own an iPhone as well

i lost my H&M jacket at the airport once and accused someone with the same jacket, eventually i found my jacket somewhere else again. needless to say that was embarrassing enough

Well not everywhere is high-density housing. A friend recovered his in Panama because the houses were so widely spaced the police could identify it clearly.

Directions would not be helpful unless your iphone was on the floor of a bar you forgot you went to.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The new driving directions are awesome, hahaha. But I just noticed today how I can look for all my devices, and the pins will be slightly in different directions. So now I can figure out which room I left my Mac/iPad in or whatever.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Find My iPhone is useful, until they shut your phone off

Actually, I think the iPhone still maintains a small connection even when turned off so Find My iPhone still works. This is the advantage of having a built-in battery since the thieves cannot remove it easily. Afaik, the only way to disable Find My iPhone is to turn on airplane mode, so you should be safe as long as you have a passcode.

mike423

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Can't wait to hear the first story about someone innocent being accused of stealing someone's iPhone, because Siri pointed to the wrong house.

"I have called the cops. Now give me back my iPhone!"
"But... But... This really is -my- iPhone!"

:D

That's where registering your apple device comes in handy.:apple:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door. Result - Apple receives lawsuit....

Only in the USA.

----------

God. How many Australians are gonna die from this app?

Lol

Probably a smaller number than american tourists in australia.

The people who live here generally know their way around their home.

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
So if I nick my housemates phone as a joke and stand perfectly still I could laugh at him getting in his car and driving off to god knows where maps will take him.... I like this, alot!

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
Well this is an incredibly pointless feature. Who is going to do this? People who have two iPhone 5's that can use their first iPhone to find their way to their second iPhone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Actually, I think the iPhone still maintains a small connection even when turned off so Find My iPhone still works. This is the advantage of having a built-in battery since the thieves cannot remove it easily. Afaik, the only way to disable Find My iPhone is to turn on airplane mode, so you should be safe as long as you have a passcode.
Is that really the case? If the phone is off, everything about it should be off. On the other hand, if the phone has Find My iPhone enabled and is put into airplane mode, then I would actually think (or at least hope) that Find My iPhone would still function despite the mode.

----------

Well this is an incredibly pointless feature. Who is going to do this? People who have two iPhone 5's that can use their first iPhone to find their way to their second iPhone?
It's not like people often have more than one iOS device, right? Or often have other family members or friends with an iOS device that they could use for something like this when they need to find their device. :rolleyes:

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Is that really the case? If the phone is off, everything about it should be off. On the other hand, if the phone has Find My iPhone enabled and is put into airplane mode, then I would actually think (or at least hope) that Find My iPhone would still function despite the mode.

My only source for this is the Today in iOs podcast. I couldn't find the exact episode but it was somewhere between 235 and 245. They said that the iPhone still maintains some connection even when turned off as long as the battery is not dead. Regarding airplane mode, there is no connection at all (to not interfere with the airplane) and therefore Find My iPhone won't work. There was a user that called in (ep 245 around the 30 min mark) and said he forgot to turn off airplane mode after a flight and lost his phone in a taxi from the airport and there was no way to find it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My only source for this is the Today in iOs podcast. I couldn't find the exact episode but it was somewhere between 235 and 245. They said that the iPhone still maintains some connection even when turned off as long as the battery is not dead. Regarding airplane mode, there is no connection at all (to not interfere with the airplane) and therefore Find My iPhone won't work. There was a user that called in (ep 245 around the 30 min mark) and said he forgot to turn off airplane mode after a flight and lost his phone in a taxi from the airport and there was no way to find it.
So on airplanes when they often say just to turn off your phone rather than even simply have it in airplane mode (as they sometimes do, and/or at least certainly used to do) that would make it actually worse than having it airplane mode since it would supposedly still be transmitting/receiving a signal somehow. Seems at least a little strange.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
So on airplanes when they often say just to turn off your phone rather than even simply have it in airplane mode (as they sometimes do, and/or at least certainly used to do) that would make it actually worse than having it airplane mode since it would supposedly still be transmitting/receiving a signal somehow. Seems at least a little strange.

It's a pity that I can't find the episode to hear what exactly was said. I did some searching around and I found this thread. According to the user Mike a bid down the page, the battery doesn't completely die when it reaches 0% but instead keeps about 3-5% of its energy which would allow for location services to continue working after the phone dies. The question is if this also happens when the phone is turned off. Nevertheless, don't expect to find logic behind the airplane electronics rule because it's more of a "we don't know but just in case"-rule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.