Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxira

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Apple’s iMac on the road to irrelevance; unit sales peaked a year ago

“Sales of Apple’s iMac, the computer often credited with saving the company, have peaked and by the end of 2014 will account for approximately 2% of the firm’s revenues, analysts now predict,” Gregg Keizer reports for Computerworld.
“Apple’s return to computer industry significance is often traced to the original iMac, the first system introduced by then-interim CEO Steve Jobs after his return to the firm he had co-founded two decades earlier,” Keizer reports. “But even with that pedigree, the iMac has long been outpaced by Apple’s laptops. In the last four quarters, for example, Apple’s laptops outsold desktops by nearly three to one, with a similar revenue disparity.”

Keizer reports, “Clearly, the lack of available iMacs in the fourth quarter, traditionally the best for desktop sales, has eliminated the usual “pop” from the holidays and a recent refresh. And things are not going to get better. Brian White [Topeka Capital Markets analyst] estimates for 2013 peg desktop sales at under a million for two of the coming year’s four quarters, down 20% and 2% for the first and second quarters, respectively. For fiscal year 2013, which runs from Oct 1., 2012, to Sept. 30, 2013, White figures that Apple’s desktop sales will be 14% lower than in the previous year… Apple’s desktop line-up will essentially flatten at an average of under one million per quarter for the next two years.”

http://macdailynews.com/2012/12/10/...-to-irrelevance-unit-sales-peaked-a-year-ago/

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Are people buying laptops for home instead of desktops? If so, why?

Yes. Because more than ever, the iMac is simply a laptop with a stand permanetly attached to it.

If you're going to buy 'laptop' level performance, you might as well have the portability. And, after all, if you really want the 'big screen' experience, you can buy a monitor.

More expensive, yes. But the flexibility you gain is worth it to a lot of people obviously.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple’s iMac on the road to irrelevance; unit sales peaked a year ago

So what? Two percent of Apple's revenue in the end of 2014 will be an awful lot of money. And its two percent for iMacs, some percentage for Mac Pros, for Minis, for MacBooks, for Airs, for Retina MacBooks, and it adds up to something _huge_.

Yes. Because more than ever, the iMac is simply a laptop with a stand permanetly attached to it.

So what Apple laptop has a 2.7 GHz (minimum) up to 3.4 GHz desktop CPU and a 1TB or 1TB fusion, or up to 3TB, hard drive?

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona

For the same reason the market for consumer autos is orders of magnitude larger than the market for commercial trucks (semis, tow trucks, moving trucks, and so on). It more closely meets needs.

I need a desktop system though, because anything I can't manage on a tablet, I don't want to do halfway on a notebook... i want that knocked OUT. That and media server capability. But honestly, in 5 years I doubt any of us will be storing media on local hardware anymore.

mlamb64150

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
Isle of Man
I'm sure that whilst the hardware sales are becoming less impressive compared to iOS devices, they will continue to reap huge profits from Apple Care and Software sales, including Mac OS X which very much keeps the Mac range very relevant.

If anything, they'd keep the Mac division just to discourage people from trying any Chromebook/Windows based laptop/desktop. Think of it as customer retention.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK

They take up less space; they're easier to store when not in use and they don't need dedicated areas to live and people (like my wife right now) can use them on their laps while keeping an eye on the television. And they're portable, can be taken on holiday etc.

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
So what? Two percent of Apple's revenue in the end of 2014 will be an awful lot of money. And its two percent for iMacs, some percentage for Mac Pros, for Minis, for MacBooks, for Airs, for Retina MacBooks, and it adds up to something _huge_.

So what Apple laptop has a 2.7 GHz (minimum) up to 3.4 GHz desktop CPU and a 1TB or 1TB fusion, or up to 3TB, hard drive?

The retina MacBook pro has a higher GHz allotment and it comes with a full flash drive instead of splitting it into two.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Somehow, I think they missed the fact that many, and I do mean many people held off buying an iMac because there was an expectation of a refresh. I know that I have read many posts about people holding off most of the year. My wife and I decieded to buy a new one back in January, but I held off because I expected a refresh in May, then WWDC, the September, October, and finally in December.

Likewise, the Mac Pro has only gotten a joke of an upgrade in what? Something like 2 years? Not a lot of people buying them unless they really have too. They are going to wait for a major refresh too.

Like I said, I'm not the only one. I think we need to wait until Apple releases numbers.

By the way, I love analysts! Hmm, slow news day, lets twist some rumors and make some stuff up and see how much attention we can get. Not much more than these faux-celebrities like Paris Hilton who crave the limelight but contribute nothing to society.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Because many of us have lives outside of our office. For me, I use my Macbook Air more than my Mac Pro. I only use my Mac Pro when working, but for the rest of my life I use my Macbook Air because I can be with my family in the living room/kitchen/Rec Room/On Vacation/etc. etc.... My wife has my Macbook Pro for the same reason. Life is too short to spend your life away in an office. Kids grow to fast. Kind of hard to use an iMac in a park isn't it?

I know you are new, but apparently you haven't read any of the stories about PC/Mac computing and that mobility is the future?

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

If you're going to buy 'laptop' level performance, you might as well have the portability. And, after all, if you really want the 'big screen' experience, you can buy a monitor.

More expensive, yes. But the flexibility you gain is worth it to a lot of people obviously.

What laptop can I buy with a 27" 2560x1440p screen, a desktop i5 CPU and 680MX GPU?

----------

Somehow, I think they missed the fact that many, and I do mean many people held off buying an iMac because there was an expectation of a refresh. .

Not even just "held off". Apple's winter quarter starts around the end of September. Once the iMac was announced in October you couldn't buy an iMac at all, for essentially the whole quarter to date except for tailoff stock that was already in the supply channels.

Reminds me of the Android story about how the Galaxy SIII was "killing" the iPhone by comparing the numbers for iPhone sales in the period just before the iPhone 5 launch.

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012

You couldn't be more incorrect, check your facts before posting please. iMacs use desktop grade CPUs as they are able to dissipate heat much better than a laptop. Place a load on any laptop including the Macbook and the fan will be spinning fast enough and making enough noise to be annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.