Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
No data is shared with 3rd parties

You must've missed my fantastic post on this thread.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:

meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Have you actually read what you have quoted? Google doesn't share data with 3rd companies for ad business like the OP implied.

We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.

Ah, stil waiting that Gmail App cookie on Android.

You must not being following the thread if you have to ask.

I was answering a question about tracking, not specific limited to Android.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

AGGREGATED, this is the word. Please, read what you quote.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Apple's tracking is fairly limited compared to Google.

The more Google services you use or other people use, the more they know about you.

Google Wallet/Checkout
Google Voice
Google Maps
Google Analytics
Google Mail
Google Android
Google Search
Google Plus
Apple:

iTunes/Apple Store credentials
Siri
Apple Maps
iAd
iCloud Mail
iOS
Siri search
Ping... oops that failed.

Michael

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
No data is shared with 3rd parties

That is not true. Like I said before, nothing about a specific individual is provided to 3rd parties, but anonymous data is. As previously stated, data security is the number one priority. You'd be surprised the measures that are taken to ensure the security of data.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
What's your home address?

I agree with you but at the same time I don't want my info going to certain people.

i understand what you guys coming from, but i just dont see the big deal :p

anyway everyone is different, yet to see any of the nicks i use on forums attached to my real name so its cool.

sometimes you see people providing personal information by themselves on forums or any other website yet they downtalk google.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
That is not true. Like I said before, nothing about a specific individual is provided to 3rd parties, but anonymous data is. As previously stated, data security is the number one priority. You'd be surprised the measures that are taken to ensure the security of data.

It's aggregated data. It is no more identifiable to you than that on a census form.

clark85

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
the most amazing thing about google now is the speech quality and the possibility to update it anytime.
but lets see what ios 7 will offer :D

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Your right, Siri is nothing like Google Voice.

Your misinformed.

This is about Google Now and Siri (voice recognition)

Do you have any idea what is actually being discussed here? (Hint: it is not Google Voice.)

Michael

I was referring to when he responded to this little tidbit.

The more Google services you use or other people use, the more they know about you.

Google Wallet/Checkout
Google Voice
Google Maps
Google Analytics
Google Mail
Google Android
Google Search
Google Plus

I even bolded and underlines them for you. Amazing what reading can do, isn't it?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I'm not a conspiracy theorist or a privacy nut, but I do have to say that a phone "learning" about me, tracking all my appointments, where I eat, etc... That's a little scary.

Especially when you're talking about an advertizing company like Google whose primary business is cashing in by selling whatever they know about you.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
It's aggregated data. It is no more identifiable to you than that on a census form.

I know this, and that is exactly my point. I am very aware of what Google does with user data. Like I said, you'd be surprised the measures that are taken to ensure data is secure.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I was referring to when he responded to this little tidbit.

Google Wallet/Checkout
Google Voice
Google Maps
Google Analytics
Google Mail
Google Android
Google Search
Google Plus

I even bolded and underlines them for you. Amazing what reading can do, isn't it?
Again, Google Voice has nothing to do with this conversation, in the manner you incorrectly assumed.

I didn't list Siri as a competitor to GV; only as something that Apple could, if they wanted, use to track you.

If I wanted to discuss Google Voice I would have pointed out that you are wrong that GV "is VoIP." VoIP doesn't work over POTS.... GV does. I bolded it so you could better understand. Regardless, GV has nothing to do with this discussion in that regard.

Michael

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'll give you the short answer. Everything you do on any Google service is logged and saved. Some data is saved anonymously and some is saved under your login. As far as data being provided to 3rd parties, your personal data is never exposed to third parties in ordinary cirumstances (law enforcement and things of that nature is something different). Anonymous data such as demographic information and such, is shared with third parties. Data security is the number one priority with everything else being secondary after that.

Thanks. But from what I read from Apple's ToS, it is essentially the same thing. That is why I was hoping someone could provide some specifics. On paper, the ToS are so similar that I personally cannot conclude that Google is any worse (or better) than Apple in these cases, except for the fact that Google provides many more services than Apple, so where Apple is logging a certain set of data, third parties (through apps) are logging the rest.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I use both Android and iOS as a lot of you know however I don't find google now that much better then Siri. And for the things I do with Siri like send emails I actually prefer it.

I do like offline dictation but aside from that what do you guys prefer about google now?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I use both Android and iOS as a lot of you know however I don't find google now that much better then Siri. And for the things I do with Siri like send emails I actually prefer it.

I do like offline dictation but aside from that what do you guys prefer about google now?
I think what the OP was talking about was its proactive nature: The way it learns about you and presents information without asking. Siri doesn't really have an equivalent to that.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.