Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
I should be taking delivery of my new 15" rMBP tomorrow. :D

I believe that the case is solid aluminium? I read the thread about not using palm covers on it, and it started me wondering whether I need to put a cover on anything? Surely the metal case will be pretty hard wearing?

Is it wise to put some sort of soft cloth over the keyboard when you close it?

I may have other questions about what may need protecting, but at the moment they're unknown unknowns, so any pointers would be welcome. :)

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
That's why I asked. I don't understand why you'd even need a palm guard on an aluminium case.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I would cover the computer with a skin cause they are pretty fragile when it comes to dings :D

skysoul

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
make sure u have those super slim keyboard cover and a laptop cooler..
U may wan to buy speck case to protect it from scratches and dings.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
My right palm rest started show some wear.
The black spots show under the aluminum since I put my hand there all the time.

----------

Had nothing but issues with Speck cases. They trap dust, dirt and other debris in between the plastic shell and the aluminum case. Before long it looks like the MacBook Pro has been attacked with sandpaper. The machine would actually have been better off without the case. I had my case fitted for a relatively short amount of time (about 3 days) before I removed it to inspect and clean it, and in that short time I found that dust intrusion had already begun. I don't buy the theory that periodic cleaning will prevent this as it occurs way too quickly for most users to catch. The Speck cases simply don't have a very good seal around the machine edges.

Finally, my Speck case cracked where it locks in at the back due to a poor casting of the plastic. I had 2 refunded as defective for the same issue. I'd avoid them at all costs.

I guess it depends on where you live.
I had my spec case from back in the days and a year on my 2011 model.
Nothing but protecting my Mac.
No scratches, just clean it out once 3~4 months and you are fine.
In fact is saved it from hitting doors by accident, dropping things, etc etc.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Don't bother. If you're going to carry it around, buy a nice zip up case, but don't bother with any full body cases. The machine is not designed to be covered up. Practice some good hygiene, wash your hands, and don't eat or drink near it, and the MBP will give you no trouble.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Cool, thanks. That's my usual style.

I have an Oakley padded case thingy that I used for my Vaio, so I'm hoping it'll fit in that.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I just picked up a keyboard cover, made by KB. Fits pretty good. Doesn't lift off the keys when opening up the laptop. I like to leave the lid open so dust accumulates.

ajanini

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
I just picked up a keyboard cover, made by KB. Fits pretty good. Doesn't lift off the keys when opening up the laptop. I like to leave the lid open so dust accumulates.

Yeah. I use a keyboard cover as well. I find mi fingers tend to damage the plastic in most keyboards over time and I didn't want this to happen to such an awesome computer. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.