Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelcurtain11

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
I'm looking to split my family plan with another person and go onto my own..

But I plan on upgrading my phone from Walmart as there's a promo for a free $100 giftcard. But I remember reading somewhere a few years ago, that if you alter your plan in some way within a certain number of months after you upgrade from Walmart/Amazon/etc then they charge you the full price of the phone. (Is that still true?)

Because I was wondering if it'd be best to split lines now and go on my own, then upgrade? Hoping that it doesn't screw over my data or upgrade status.

Or upgrade from Walmart, then split. Hoping that I don't get charged $700ish.

Anyone hear of something like this?

Chaosknight78

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Ok here's the situation I need help with;

I want to get the new Galaxy Note II but I'm not eligible for upgrade on my single UDP line. I have a Galaxy Nexus, what I was wondering is it possible to add a new line to purchase the Galaxy Note II at the subsided price, move the GN2 to my UDP line and add a dumb phone and remove the Galaxy Nexus from the 2nd line to avoid paying ridiculous monthly bill? I'm currently paying about 79$ a month with my 450min unlimited text & data plan.

daniboy44xd

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
quick question if i transfer my upgrade from a line with 4 gb/month to a dumb phone will my 4 gb/month be dropped to 2 gb/month

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
quick question if i transfer my upgrade from a line with 4 gb/month to a dumb phone will my 4 gb/month be dropped to 2 gb/month

People stop asking all these questions.

Any change to your plans will be very obvious during the ordering process on the website.

The website will make you confirm things multiple times. You always have the option to cancel before you hit submit.

Patels23

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Hey. I have a situation and I could really use some help or feedback. My family plan is able to upgrade and I have 4 lines ( 1 smartphones and 3 basic). The smartphone is the primary line and has unlimited data. I want to upgrade all of them to smartphones and add one line which will be a basic phone. When i try upgrading all the phones, All the lines gets placed under the share everything plan. My primary line already has unlimited data but the Verizon agent said that I cant keep my unlimited data anymore. How can I keep my unlimited data without buying the samsung note 2 at full price? Please someone help. Thank you.

Appl'd

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
Hey Patels23, I don't have a conclusive answer for you as I haven't been following very closely for the past month, but you might benefit from upgrading them one line at a time. I don't recall the rules to the letter, but the essence was that individual lines within family plans were not automatically forced into Share Everything - I remember asking a rep because I couldn't quite understand how a mutant Family Plan/Share Everything Plan hybrid would work if individual lines selectively switched over; I remember the math showed it to be a horrible scenario. So I don't recall precisely the conditions under which you are or are not required to convert a full account to Share Everything, but I do recall it being generally at the consumer's discretion. As long as you maintain that core nucleus of lines under a Family Plan, it's easy to justify the retention of Family Plan terms for an individual line's upgrade, which you can do iteratively (Upgrade line A alone, keep the other 3 in the family plan. Once A is upgraded to new family plan terms then upgrade line B, maintaining the other 3 in the family plan (2 under old terms, 1 under new terms). Once upgraded, then upgrade line 3, etc.

Thing is, you should probably look carefully into your data usage first, because it's not necessarily the case that Share Everything is a bad deal. In most cases the bill seems to come pretty close, giving up only the security of an unlimited package which might be overblown in many cases. I fought tooth and nail to keep mine just for the principle and insurance against overages, yet I've never even used 2GB. Considering the 2 1/2 days I took off work to scour forums, research the issue to death, stop into Verizon stores, etc, I effectively lost an extra $400 up front to keep an unlimited plan that will likely pan out to have zero financial value aside from the warm fuzzy feeling that I can stream media to my heart's content while away from WiF. Despite picturing a million scenarios where I'd need that ability, I see now that I basically gave up a new iPad 4 for the option to watch Netflix that one time over the next two years I'm stuck riding in a car all day (which already happened and I didn't watch a lick of Netflix. Would rather have the iPad 4 with certainty every day for those two years and 'live' with 2GB data on that car ride.) So the advice there is that it's not necessarily a good deal to invest a ton of time in getting every contractual term you desire if it consumes a lot of your time resources, but I guess that's why you're asking for the answer instead of reading 46 pages of thread.

For the specifics I'll defer to Jtludwig above: the answer is in there. (But do be careful; I have to disagree with the statement that it will be clear during the checkout process. See my post #205 ITT from several months ago, I provided screenshots of the order process and resulting receipt that were anything but straightforward. In fact the website's representation at that time was blatantly wrong, though to my benefit so I'm not complaining). Good luck. My advice is to pay for the Note 2 full price and get back to your life, or just let go of unlimited if you're only keeping it for insurance. Stomaching a $100 data overage at some point might actually be the cheapest solution, as crazy as that sounds.

iTorment

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Kansas City, MO
Worked for me

I can confirm this is still working. I went and tried this at a Verizon store two days ago. Sales rep took care of everything. Only 10 bucks extra a month. I finally feel decent about paying Verizon every month.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I too confirm that this worked. I have a line with a dumbphone anyway and upgraded that. Switched iPhone5 to my number and I'm good to go!

vman100

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
Hi - Sorry for the question, but I am new to this and having a hard time figuring out my situation. I have two smart phones with Verizon now (one old Palm that is eligible for upgrade and one iphone 4s that is not yet eligible). Is there any way for me to upgrade the palm to the iphone 5 and keep unlimited data? I could add a dumb phone line (and phone) for my son if needed...

steelcurtain11

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
I have a dumb phone as the main line and my smart phone with unlimited as the second. Could I upgrade the dumb phone to an iphone 5, select the 2GB option for that, then give them my smart phone and I take the iphone 5 while still keeping unlimited data on my part? I'm not sure how the hybrid/family plan thing would work.. I don't want it to force us both into the stupid share all plan, since I stream a lot of videos and music on the go.

Right now we're on the 750 minute, unlimited texting on both lines, and I have unlimited data for around $130/month before taxes. So I'm not sure how the pricing would work if they somehow can convert the share all on one line and my unlimited on the other..

jmo1116

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Does anyone know how many times this will work? For instance, I have already done this once. I transferred an upgrade from an iphone 4 line to the dumbphone line and then got the iphone 5 with unlimited data. We now have another upgrade so can I transfer it again to the dumb phone line and do the same process again? I would be transferring upgrades to the dumb phone and would, in theory, never upgrade iphone lines which would allow me to keep unlimited data?

robEstyles

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Does anyone know how many times this will work? For instance, I have already done this once. I transferred an upgrade from an iphone 4 line to the dumbphone line and then got the iphone 5 with unlimited data. We now have another upgrade so can I transfer it again to the dumb phone line and do the same process again? I would be transferring upgrades to the dumb phone and would, in theory, never upgrade iphone lines which would allow me to keep unlimited data?

I've done it twice so far so in theory yes I think you can just keep doing it as long as you use the dumb phone line

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
I know this has been beat to death but i have a quick question

I just got off the phone with a VZ rep and he said that if i purchase an IP5 by using an upgrade on dumb phone line 1 that it will work. BUT when the phone gets here then i have to call and activate it on MY unlimited data plan. NOT ON THE DUMBLINE FIRST?

Can anyone confirm that?

Also, What is the cancellation policy on the 2GB plan that i supposedly have to "sign up for"? Am I on the hook for it or will it not take effect until I "hypothetically" activate the phone on the dumbline?

Thanks for your patience!

-Mike

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
I just got off the phone with a VZ rep and he said that if i purchase an IP5 by using an upgrade on dumb phone line 1 that it will work. BUT when the phone gets here then i have to call and activate it on MY unlimited data plan. NOT ON THE DUMBLINE FIRST?

Can anyone confirm that?

Also, What is the cancellation policy on the 2GB plan that i supposedly have to "sign up for"? Am I on the hook for it or will it not take effect until I "hypothetically" activate the phone on the dumbline?

-Mike
Anybody?

Ars0n

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
NYC

Mike i just added a line to my unlimited plan (ip5) and when it comes Monday I am going to activate it to my unlimited line and then activate the dumb phone to the new line. The 30$/mo data plan I had to sign up for to get the 5 is essentially cancelled when I activate the dumb phone and cancel the data component.

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
Mike i just added a line to my unlimited plan (ip5) and when it comes Monday I am going to activate it to my unlimited line and then activate the dumb phone to the new line. The 30$/mo data plan I had to sign up for to get the 5 is essentially cancelled when I activate the dumb phone and cancel the data component.

Your going to activate it directly to your unlimited line? Not activate it on your dumbphone line then transfer it to your unlimited line?

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, to keep unlimited you have to activate it on the dumb phone line. Then you inactivate it for 24 hours (some stupid SIM card reason) Then you can activate it on your unlimited.

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
Yes, to keep unlimited you have to activate it on the dumb phone line. Then you inactivate it for 24 hours (some stupid SIM card reason) Then you can activate it on your unlimited.

What happens if you just activate it onto the unlimited line without going through the dumb phone? Also, you can cancel the data plan on the dumbphone line without charges right?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012

Can anyone confirm that?

-Mike

The rep is correct, do not open the box, activate it on your unlimited line using activate/switch option put in the #'s it asks from the outside of the iPhone box or your receipt in the box. Just be sure when it gets to the plan that its checked unlimited, mine said that by default. You do not need to activate it on the dumb phone line you purchased the iPhone on.

Even it you do activate it on your dumb phone line it will work but its just more of a hassle to do it that way. Activating it on your unlimited line works and it will not affect your dumb phone line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.