Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dodgeroo

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
At least you can skip over the ads in iTunes. Last movie I went to, I got in early in order to get a seat. I had to suffer through 25 minutes of advertisements and I was stuck watching them :(. In fact, the last advertisement was for the movie advertisements telling me I should get there even earlier so I'll see more advertisements :D.

I close my eyes and chill. Or listen to some music/audiobook. You can still hear enough in the background to know when the movie is starting.

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
im pretty sure DVDS have ads at the begining too, and you pay for those
All the more reason to torrent from those studios, like Disney. They won't even allow you to skip them, ie you are forced to watch. That is unacceptable. As is imbedded ads in shows you pay for.
I don't have cable, but I was shocked when I learnt learn they show ads there too! You pay a lot for the privilege, and they feed you ads?? Sheesh!

Coldsmoke

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Shame on your compacency

Over-react much? It's amazing the things that get people so upset they have to type *****. Most certainly first world problems. 23 Seconds you will never, ever get back.

It's because of people who are complacent with the marketing types who force their "ads" upon every facet of our lives that we are in this current state of being held hostage by these stupid advertisements every where we turn. I cheer on the original author of this post for being so compassionate about being forced to view ads he did not expect or want.
The worst at this game is Hulu plus where you not only pay for the premium service but are forced to watch the ads because they disable the ability to fast forward beyond them.

We all need to maintain vigilance and forcefully express our opinions on this topic to both our legislators as well as the host company of the ads. Otherwise we will eventually be consumed with all the marketing blather.

As Dennis Miller always says as he ends his rants, "that's my opinion but I could be wrong".

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
It's because of people who are complacent with the marketing types who force their "ads" upon every facet of our lives that we are in this current state of being held hostage by these stupid advertisements every where we turn. I cheer on the original author of this post for being so compassionate about being forced to view ads he did not expect or want.
The worst at this game is Hulu plus where you not only pay for the premium service but are forced to watch the ads because they disable the ability to fast forward beyond them.

We all need to maintain vigilance and forcefully express our opinions on this topic to both our legislators as well as the host company of the ads. Otherwise we will eventually be consumed with all the marketing blather.

As Dennis Miller always says as he ends his rants, "that's my opinion but I could be wrong".

Yeah, cause everything should just be free.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
One thing iTunes does NOT have that DVDs and Blu-rays DO is that extremely annoying FBI + Interpol + whatever other police agency out there warning staring at you at the beginning of the movie.

I really love being told that me and my family & friends are potential criminals as we sit down to enjoy a flick that we ALREADY PAID FOR.

I really hate that. If we did steal the movie - WHICH WE DID NOT - I feel compelled to add - would that silly FBI warning make even the slightest impression? NO.

It's just more control freak brainwashing.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003

This reminds me of the dystopian vision of the film "Minority Report". As the ever present scanners scan your retinas (even with eyelids shut), they immediately associate you with your purchase history and preferences, then bombard you by name with advertisements.

That is an advertiser's heaven - and our HELL.

It seems that the only way to keep these greedy people from totally innundating us with their bs is to pass laws. They clearly won't regulate themselves with any sense of decency, so it has to be forced on them - as they force their idiotic ads on us.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah, cause everything should just be free.

Frankly, if you're going to throw words like "free" around without knowing their meaning, I feel the need to mention that it's "because" not 'cause'. You seem to think "free" means to pay for services rendered like on Hulu Plus where you PAY for the service and therefore it is NOT "free". :rolleyes:

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Looks like FOX is doing this too all of their shows in iTunes.

I was looking forward to the new season of Cops starting this Saturday but now I think I'll skip this season.

I don't have cable or satellite so iTunes was the way that I saw everything I was into.

Sure I could set iTunes to start and stop episodes but the fact is, I always enjoyed buying on iTunes partly because there were no commercials or fly over ads in an content.

Capt Crunch

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2001
Washington, D.C.
Frankly, if you're going to throw words like "free" around without knowing their meaning, I feel the need to mention that it's "because" not 'cause'. You seem to think "free" means to pay for services rendered like on Hulu Plus where you PAY for the service and therefore it is NOT "free". :rolleyes:

The price for Hulu+ is $8 a month plus having to view ads. If you don't want to view ads, then the fair price would probably be significantly higher than $8. I bet a billion dollars that Hulu thought long and hard about this, and came to the conclusion that the average person is more willing to pay $8 a month and watch some ads, than pay, say, $15 a month with no ads.

Why do you think that because you paid some arbitrary amount, you are entitled to some particular level of service? Do you get mad when you buy a newspaper and it has ads in it?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The price for Hulu+ is $8 a month plus having to view ads. If you don't want to view ads, then the fair price would probably be significantly higher than $8. I bet a billion dollars that Hulu thought long and hard about this, and came to the conclusion that the average person is more willing to pay $8 a month and watch some ads, than pay, say, $15 a month with no ads.

Why do you think that because you paid some arbitrary amount, you are entitled to some particular level of service? Do you get mad when you buy a newspaper and it has ads in it?

I think the NEW programs shown on Hulu are network shows you can view over your antenna for free (besides the freaking ads). So what you're doing is paying $8 a month to watch ads you could have watched for free. :p

Yes, they also have older stuff, but so does Netflix and it's $7 a month with NO ads. My god, under your mentality of thinking, just how the frak does Netflix POSSIBLY make a profit when they have to not only pay their own bills, but license ALL that content including major movies (boy those ARE expensive to make) on top of tons of television shows. Just how DO they do it without ads???? :rolleyes:

Perhaps Hulu could offer an ad-free "Super Plus" version for a bit more money if that is your hang-up. Wasting my time is worse than costing me money since I can get more money. I can't get more time. As it is, I have zero interest in Hulu. I'll stick with cable (with a DVR to skip the freaking ads) plus Netflix and AppleTV for now (although I won't be buying ATV TV Shows if they're going to show ads).

Maybe YOU would like to waste valuable time out of your life to watch commercials for feminine hygiene products (that I have no use for) and other stupid products, but I've got better things to do.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

That's precisely the reason I don't use Hulu. I don't want to watch the advertisements for free, let alone paid.

Newspaper ads aren't the same thing. They aren't wasting my storage space, nor my time.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
and here the studios wonder why people pirate ... they will never learn

its just as idiotic as those "anti piracy" ads on a bluray like HELLO, i PAID for your movie u should THANK ME and not assume that im a pirate. way to treat its honest customers

I particularly "like" the ones that come up in about six different languages in succession and are all unskippable :rolleyes:

Capt Crunch

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2001
Washington, D.C.
I think the NEW programs shown on Hulu are network shows you can view over your antenna for free (besides the freaking ads). So what you're doing is paying $8 a month to watch ads you could have watched for free. :p

No, you're paying $8 to watch a TV show on your computer at any time you want, instead of at a prescribed time. You can also watch it over again, all without buying a DVR or cable.

Yes, they also have older stuff, but so does Netflix and it's $7 a month with NO ads. My god, under your mentality of thinking, just how the frak does Netflix POSSIBLY make a profit when they have to not only pay their own bills, but license ALL that content including major movies (boy those ARE expensive to make) on top of tons of television shows. Just how DO they do it without ads???? :rolleyes:

The TV shows on Hulu+ are more current and desirable shows than on Netflix, so I would expect them to be more expensive. Moreover, Hulu+ is apparently likely running at a loss at the moment. Netflix has very thin margins itself, but is able to subsidize their online content by their more profitable DVD rentals.

Perhaps Hulu could offer an ad-free "Super Plus" version for a bit more money if that is your hang-up. Wasting my time is worse than costing me money since I can get more money. I can't get more time. As it is, I have zero interest in Hulu. I'll stick with cable (with a DVR to skip the freaking ads) plus Netflix and AppleTV for now (although I won't be buying ATV TV Shows if they're going to show ads).

They could. My guess is that it is a strategic decision to not give that option. For big productions, advertisers are willing to pay significant money to be featured with the show, much more than viewers are willing to pay to watch it. I'd bet that a sustainable ad-free subscription service would yield lower profits than what they are currently enjoying, so Hulu doesn't want to even give viewers the choice.

Maybe YOU would like to waste valuable time out of your life to watch commercials for feminine hygiene products (that I have no use for) and other stupid products, but I've got better things to do.

I'm guessing you're sassing me because I sassed you first. Sorry. I'm as frustrated as you are about online content.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
On my 2008 MB running Lion, the stop setting does not work. The start at time does work. Doing searching on the Apple forums states that this is a bug that has not yet been fixed in over a year.

Also tried the stop time on my 2010 MB running ML and it too keeps playing past the stop time.

Last edited:

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'll refer people to this document that is Apple's own guide lines for the content that is produced and sold on the iTunes store:- iTunes_VideoandAudio_Asset_Guide5.0.pdf, it's a very interesting read, if only to see just how many of the guide lines are broken.

Read page 19 which I will also quote here and highlight the relevent section:-

TV Content Considerations
● No bugs or logos should be visible during the body of the video.
● No tune-ins should be visible during the body of the video. Tune-ins are only acceptable at the end of the video.
● No ratings or advisories should be displayed at any time during the video.
● Network cards at the beginning and end of the video are accepted as long as they are visible less than
five (5) seconds.
● Commercials or other promotional material, including URLs, are NOT accepted. For more details, please contact your iTunes Technical Representative.
● Commercial black may be a maximum of 5 seconds.
● Previews must contain content suitable for a general audience.
● Previews must not have opening or ending credits and should not start on a black frame.
● A minimum of 1 black frame at the beginning and end of each video is required.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
I just downloaded season 5 episode 2 of Sons of Anarchy to find the first 23 seconds of the episode is an advertisement! I am ****in livid! This is ********!!! I ****in payed full price for a season pass and now I am being forced to watch advertisements. I am so furious right now that I cant even enjoy the show that I just downloaded. I feel as thought a serious amount of trust has been broken here. Im in so much disbelief right now. I will never buy content from iTunes again. :mad:

This is madness, commercials everywhere. Not only when you buy media, but also on you phone. You pay your subscription and the others use your MB's to trow commercials in your face you don't even want to see. There should be a law protecting people against this ever further growing madness :mad:

BTW: The Pirate Bay is much cheaper.........

And you advertisement-idiots, we can only spend our money once, your just waisting time and money and we consumers have to pay for it through the increased prices of your products: PLEASE STOP!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The gimmick got you. It's $7.99. If you are going to shorten it, say $8.

Hulu+ is also $7.99. They appear to be similarly priced.

Similarly priced but WITH ads, which is the whole freaking point, not 99 cents, which is neither here nor there. :rolleyes:

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Agreed. According to a few posts up, it is against iTunes policy to include commercials.

I'm going to contact iTunes support now about my FOX purchases. All of their shows have commercials this year.
That is what people should do if they really care about this. If enough people complain, Apple may remove the content with advertising, since they may not even be aware that the ads are there. Just be warned that some sources may choose not to make content available through iTunes if they can't include ads, which may be why Apple is tolerating this despite their own rules.

Complaining here, without complaining to Apple directly, won't make a difference, though, if people don't also point the problem out to Apple. This seems a likely place to send your request:https://expresslane.apple.com/ServiceOptionAction.action

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
That is what people should do if they really care about this. If enough people complain, Apple may remove the content with advertising, since they may not even be aware that the ads are there. Just be warned that some sources may choose not to make content available through iTunes if they can't include ads, which may be why Apple is tolerating this despite their own rules.

Complaining here, without complaining to Apple directly, won't make a difference, though, if people don't also point the problem out to Apple. This seems a likely place to send your request:https://expresslane.apple.com/ServiceOptionAction.action

I put in my complaint. Hopefully others do as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.