Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1
lucaspkm
macrumors member

Lion Server

Hi Guys,

My Lion Server crashes 2 times in a role, 1 happens recently another 1 couple of months back no idea what is happening to it but whenever it crashes file sharing would go haywire as in permission for the folder seems not working at all I'll need help with it no idea what is really wrong with it.
lucaspkm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:33 AM   #2
MadTester
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaspkm View Post
Hi Guys,

My Lion Server crashes 2 times in a role, 1 happens recently another 1 couple of months back no idea what is happening to it but whenever it crashes file sharing would go haywire as in permission for the folder seems not working at all I'll need help with it no idea what is really wrong with it.
I might be way out here, but have you tried some basic maintenance first? i.e. verify and repair disk permissions on your server HD and also any external discs you might have connected?

Any recent installs that haven't installed properly? i.e. updates etc... I always reboot when I've had any updates or install stuff....

Failing that monitor the machine temp as I have a mini running Lion Server and it cut out on me once because it just got too hot....

HTH
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
lucaspkm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTester View Post
I might be way out here, but have you tried some basic maintenance first? i.e. verify and repair disk permissions on your server HD and also any external discs you might have connected?

Any recent installs that haven't installed properly? i.e. updates etc... I always reboot when I've had any updates or install stuff....

Failing that monitor the machine temp as I have a mini running Lion Server and it cut out on me once because it just got too hot....

HTH
I'm running on xserve late 2008 nothing much have done to it, HDD verify and permission all are good. but it slows down a lot no idea why or it never been fast at the first place when running on lion could it be the ram I'm running on 8 gb of ram.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
MadTester
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaspkm View Post
I'm running on xserve late 2008 nothing much have done to it, HDD verify and permission all are good. but it slows down a lot no idea why or it never been fast at the first place when running on lion could it be the ram I'm running on 8 gb of ram.
Quite possibly, it all depends what you are running when it starts to degrade in performance.... hmmm.. many factors to consider..... Have you tried Apple support or the Apple site forums? (you might have done already but I thought I'd ask).
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:10 AM   #5
lucaspkm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTester View Post
Quite possibly, it all depends what you are running when it starts to degrade in performance.... hmmm.. many factors to consider..... Have you tried Apple support or the Apple site forums? (you might have done already but I thought I'd ask).
well I can't decide whether to upgrade the machine a not because so far i guess no 1 will support xserve anymore is disheartening. sigh.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking