Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garlowgirl

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
bank account no. wanted for recall rebate???for real???

I received this notice today. I talked with apple rep on phone and sent in my repair invoice - all seems legit....but not sure about giving my bank, routing no in an email? Any one care to comment/

Dear Apple Customer,

Product Serial Number(s): xxxxxxxx
Case ID: xxxxx
Follow Up Number: Follow-Up:xxxx:confused:

We need additional banking information to complete your refund.

Please contact your bank to verify the following information, and reply to this email without changing the subject line.

Bank Name:
Bank Account Number:
Bank Routing Number (9 digits):

After we receive your banking details, we will submit the wire transfer to complete your refund.

If you have any questions, visit:
http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

Sincerely,

Apple Repair Operations

This transmission may be privileged and may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distribution, retransmission, copying, or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete this message from your system.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Are the replacements 7200 RPM If the Original Was?

When I purchased my 2.8 GHz Intel i7 I'm pretty sure I had a 7200 RPM drive. Are the replacements 7200 RPM?

blondieblue

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
I just had my HD replaced at my local Genius Bar under the recall. Took less than 24 hours.
My computer is SO FREAKING LOUD now. Never heard it like this and now - even when nothing is running- I can hear it across the living room.
Anyone else????

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
SO, checked in profiler, my drive is a 1TB ST31000528AS iMac is just under 12months old (11 months and change i think)

Apples site checked my serial number as not eligible for replacement.. should i push for one anyway ? is the ST31000528AS likely to fail going down the road ?

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SO, checked in profiler, my drive is a 1TB ST31000528AS iMac is just under 12months old (11 months and change i think)

Apples site checked my serial number as not eligible for replacement.. should i push for one anyway ? is the ST31000528AS likely to fail going down the road ?

Thats my problem also. Mine was made before july 2011 bought it september 2011, it has the seagate drive but they say its not affected... I am doubting all of this. I dont want this thing to fail and have to pick up the cost

asayer

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
UK
I got the email about this, and my mac serial number is eligible on the site.

Checked my harddrive serial number and it is 'WDC WD1001FALS-40Y6A0' - that's not Seagate is it?

lmarsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
I too received the same request for information and I can't believe this is the way Apple would ask it's customers for refund contact information. Surely confirmation address and sending a cheque/money order is more appropriate. The site is not 'secure' .....if that even means anything these days!

I have an iMac that had the defective Seagate drive. I had the drive replaced at my own expense at an Apple Store earlier this year. After receiving the recall notice, I contacted Apple Support, and they promised to refund the repair cost.

Recently I received a subsequent e-mail (apparently from Apple), that is asking me to e-mail my bank account/ routing numbers back to Apple so they can deposit the refund directly in my bank account.

I'm very uncomfortable about e-mailing this information to anyone. I don't know why Apple couldn't just mail a check, or put the refund back on my credit card. This sounds a lot like a "Nigerian scam", and seems very un-Apple like. I even wonder if someone inside Apple is running a scam.

Has anyone else received this notice?

Southshore

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
Boston, MA, New York, NY
Replacement success, but with an *

Hurricane Sandy knocked me out of my original appointment. I waited 2 weeks, and the Hingham store replaced it same day - 4 hours to be exact. *Lesson learned the hard way: neither WiFi nor Ethernet are a good way to restore or transfer files from a Time Capsule if you have any meaningful size. It took me 60 hours on Ethernet, it was originally 125 hours via WiFi. Apple Genius suggested buying a 1 TB portable with Firewire 800, and using that as the primary back up, which would have taken about 8 hours to restore the data. If you are considering replacing your HD, think about this before you go ahead and take your machine out of commission for a few days.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I suppose Apple wouldn't want these drives turning up on eBay, moving into new Macs, and then having to replace them for free.

I dont think this would happen, im sure apple know which drive went inside which macs. As far as I know, they only contacted affected customers, so this would not be an issue. I have an appointment next week and will update this post whether apple let me keep my old HD.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
...It took me 60 hours on Ethernet, it was originally 125 hours via WiFi. Apple Genius suggested buying a 1 TB portable with Firewire 800, and using that as the primary back up, which would have taken about 8 hours to restore the data.

Just curious, how big is your time machine backup? And were you using Gigabit wired Ethernet? (Time Capsule/Airport Extreme have it, Express doesn't).

Theoretical max of Gigabit is 1000Mbps and Firewire is 800Mbps. Though I'm curious to know what ends up faster in reality, for example if the CPU of the router is the bottleneck.

And now I'm kinda thinking maybe it's time for a Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter...

radiomother

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Quebec
Question about recall

My computer is in the recall. Is there any way to back up some programs? For example, I have a GPS and I can't find the original disc. I need the program to update the GPS. My external hard drive is a My Book.

Thanks for any help that you can give!

Southshore

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
Boston, MA, New York, NY
Just curious, how big is your time machine backup? And were you using Gigabit wired Ethernet? (Time Capsule/Airport Extreme have it, Express doesn't).

Theoretical max of Gigabit is 1000Mbps and Firewire is 800Mbps. Though I'm curious to know what ends up faster in reality, for example if the CPU of the router is the bottleneck.

And now I'm kinda thinking maybe it's time for a Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter...

Back up was 730GB. iMac is late 2010, so I only have USB 2 and Firewire to choose from. Time Capsule is same vintage, ethernet only. It all worked fine, just took a very, very long time.

oacory

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
New Jersey
I have an appointment next week and will update this post whether apple let me keep my old HD.

When I got mine replaced, the genius was pretty upfront with me and told me off the bat that I would not get my old HD back and that it would be shredded. I would guess everyone would be the same unless you got a genius who wants to be nice and make sure it gets saved for you.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
When I got mine replaced, the genius was pretty upfront with me and told me off the bat that I would not get my old HD back and that it would be shredded. I would guess everyone would be the same unless you got a genius who wants to be nice and make sure it gets saved for you.

yep, I just picked up my iMac today. I was told the HD was send back to the warehouse and would be destroyed.

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
yep, I just picked up my iMac today. I was told the HD was send back to the warehouse and would be destroyed.

They destroyed mine too. I didn't even hear about this recall until after my drive crashed. Thankfully, this time, I finally had everything backed up.

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Hello,

I have an iMac with a very very noisy seagate HDD. I also received the mail from apple to get a replacement drive.

Are the new drives much quieter? And faster? I was thinking of asking for an SSD (expensive) but that seems so... stupid because the replacement HDD is free. But i think i got spoiled by my speedy iPad :(

What is your experience with the new drives so far?

dgr401

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Hello,

I have an iMac with a very very noisy seagate HDD. I also received the mail from apple to get a replacement drive.

Are the new drives much quieter? And faster? I was thinking of asking for an SSD (expensive) but that seems so... stupid because the replacement HDD is free. But i think i got spoiled by my speedy iPad :(

What is your experience with the new drives so far?

I can't say if it is any faster but mine is definitely much quieter. Apple will only replace your drive with a like drive - no ssd's.

Tarheels

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
[/COLOR]

But the issue isn't about you having a Seagate, it's about a certain batch. Yours could be fine. They are just replacing it to shut you up because you were a nag, not because they screwed up and didn't put in your serial number when it should have been. They won't tell you that that is the reason because they don't want you emailing Tim Cook etc and saying they insulted you or some other mess. But that is the more likely reason for the 'exception'[COLOR]

I'm well aware that its a certain batch, I've had production floor jobs before. I wasn't going to trust them if they said it wasn't the right batch considering the fact that they didn't even have the right manufacturer on record.

macrumorsrob

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks for the tips.

I contacted Apple today, escalated from a regular advisor to a SENIOR Advisor (very important), he was very helpful, I emailed him a screenshot confirming that my iMac 27 had the Seagate drive model and Revision AP25 and he authorized the recall repair.

On Apple's recall website, my iMac's sn# resulted in a "your iMac is not affected by this recall"...baloney!!!

Revisions AP24 and AP25 ARE affected by this recall!

Thanks for all the input on this thread...was very helpful!

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
The external 1TB branded Iomega with a seagate ST31000528AS, was sold on the Apple web site. This thing had less then 50 hours and went belly up, click, click. Wonder if they will be taking these back as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.