Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:05 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Highly Rated iOS Role-Playing Game 'Aralon' is Free for Limited Time

Sister site TouchArcade.com is offering a new promotion called "Free Play" in which they work with developers to offer highly rated games for free. The first offering is a role-playing game called Aralon.
Quote:
Aralon features over 30 hours of gameplay, and an incredibly depth character creation system complete with multiple races and classes- Each with their own unique skill trees. Accompanying the main story quest is tons of optional side quests to complete, hundreds of items to acquire, faction systems, crafting systems, and mounts ranging from basic horses to epic dragons.
Aralon first came out in 2010 and received a 5 star review at the time. Aralon was originally priced at $6.99 and has seen price fluctuations since its release, but has never been free before. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Highly Rated iOS Role-Playing Game 'Aralon' is Free for Limited Time
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Might be worth a try...unless it's a trap: have to "buy" the good stuff otherwise you'll never be able to really enjoy the game.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:12 AM   #3
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Diver View Post
Might be worth a try...unless it's a trap: have to "buy" the good stuff otherwise you'll never be able to really enjoy the game.
nah, not a trap
http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/12/in...ames-for-free/

Quote:
Additionally, they are all going to be real games, as they were originally meant to be played- Not games that are promoted as free as part of a stealth update implementing loads of IAP and in essence turning it into a free to play game in the process.
this one does have iap, but seems more of a "cheat" than actually needed to enjoy the game as intended.
arn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:15 AM   #4
splitthebiscuit
macrumors newbie

The second ability's icon in that screenshot is a mirror imaged version of WoW's Slice and Dice. They're identical lol. www.wowhead.com/spell=5171/slice-and-dice Not that it matters (or maybe it does legally), it just caught my eye and thought it was funny.
splitthebiscuit is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:19 AM   #5
v0lume4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitthebiscuit View Post
The second ability's icon in that screenshot is a mirror imaged version of WoW's Slice and Dice. They're identical lol. www.wowhead.com/spell=5171/slice-and-dice Not that it matters (or maybe it does legally), it just caught my eye and thought it was funny.
We all just LOVE Rogues :P

----------

This makes me so, so happy. Ahh!
v0lume4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:19 AM   #6
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
nah, not a trap
http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/12/in...ames-for-free/

Quote:
Additionally, they are all going to be real games, as they were originally meant to be played- Not games that are promoted as free as part of a stealth update implementing loads of IAP and in essence turning it into a free pay to play game in the process.
this one does have iap, but seems more of a "cheat" than actually needed to enjoy the game as intended.
Cool, promos like this one and Apple's Free App of the Week are good, in my personal opinion.

Also, should it be "pay to play" in the quote above?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Stephen Dowling
macrumors regular

I'm very excited to see that this is free. I almost paid $6.99 for it on Monday, but I got sidetracked. Can't wait to try it out.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Great, another thing that won't work on my first generation iPod touch...

"Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later"

Downloading right now!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 AM   #9
gmanist1000
macrumors 68000

No iPhone 5 support... no download.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:30 AM   #10
HabSonic
macrumors regular

Very nice! Downloading now. Thanks TouchArcade!!!
HabSonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 AM   #11
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dowling View Post
I'm very excited to see that this is free. I almost paid $6.99 for it on Monday, but I got sidetracked. Can't wait to try it out.
Same for me, if by Monday you mean the day Touch Arcade covered it in 2010.

Edit: whoops, nope, it was reviewed on a Wednesday.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:57 PM   #12
NightFox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
No iPhone 5 support... no download.
What do you mean, no iPhone 5 support? Works fine on mine. If you mean it doesn't take advantage of the bigger screen, then that's nothing to do with support. And why is a game that's perfectly good on an iPhone 4S suddenly not even worth a free download on iPhone 5?
It's like refusing to watch a classic movie that's been given you for free just because it doesn't fill the screen on your new widescreen TV

I don't get the logic, seems like your loss to me.
NightFox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:06 PM   #13
CodeBreaker
macrumors 6502

Thanks TouchArcade and developers. Will rate it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Can't wait for Ravensword 2 to come out in a week or so.
Undecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:48 PM   #15
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
What do you mean, no iPhone 5 support? Works fine on mine. If you mean it doesn't take advantage of the bigger screen, then that's nothing to do with support. And why is a game that's perfectly good on an iPhone 4S suddenly not even worth a free download on iPhone 5?
It's like refusing to watch a classic movie that's been given you for free just because it doesn't fill the screen on your new widescreen TV

I don't get the logic, seems like your loss to me.
Not to mention it also supports iPad and iPhone.

Downloading now!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:16 PM   #16
apposphere
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to apposphere
Smile hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Sister site TouchArcade.com is offering a new promotion called "Free Play" in which they work with developers to offer highly rated games for free. The first offering is a role-playing game called Aralon.Aralon first came out in 2010 and received a 5 star review at the time. Aralon was originally priced at $6.99 and has seen price fluctuations since its release, but has never been free before. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Highly Rated iOS Role-Playing Game 'Aralon' is Free for Limited Time

I'm really so happy about this, the more people that know about this game the better. I hope this means a sequel is in the works and coming soon.

By the way this is my first post here hello everyone. I also talked about this game and gave an alert that it was going free on my YouTube channel it's a new one please check it out.

http://youtu.be/N4UU28qaEU8
apposphere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:51 PM   #17
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

OK. I'm completely hooked. I downloaded Aralon after this announcement. Fortunately, my semester ended because playing this game is about all I've been doing. How fun!

Some friends have recommended Skyrim, but I don't currently have a method of playing it (no XBOX 360, no windows).

I don't even really have experience with RPGs of any kind. I played Zelda: Twilight Princess for gamecube way back when. This is reminiscent in some ways. No platforming or puzzling though in Aralon.
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:40 AM   #18
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Now that I've finished playing through itů

who can recommend something similar to Aralon?

Adventure RPG, 3rd person?
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion