Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:51 AM   #101
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
My Butler must be really down in the dumps answering my Nexus for me, I didn't realise that all other Butlers would look down on him after I changed from my iPhone.

Last edited by daveathall; Dec 12, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
daveathall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:26 AM   #102
sampath
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
After switching from an iPhone to a Galaxy Nexus my income dropped 60% and IQ by 57 points. The damage would have been greater but for me still clinging to my "old new" iPad.

True story.
sampath is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:47 AM   #103
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkL View Post
What makes you think the OP is a troll?

Here's a WSJ article with interesting insights.

//Owners of other Apple devices had similar traits, with higher incomes than users of BlackBerrys or smartphones running on Google’s Android software, according to BIGinsight.

There’s evidence this higher income level translates into higher spending. Nearly half of retailers in a recent study by Forrester Research and Shop.org said users of tablets – who by a large majority are iPad owners – tend to place bigger online orders on average than users of laptops or desktops. Shoppers on Apple devices like iPhones also outspend shoppers using Android or Blackberry devices, according to IBM, which tracks data from retailers.


And while there are twice as many mobile gamers on Android devices in the U.S. as there are on iPhone and iPads, the amount spent by Apple gamers is five times higher than Android gamers, according to international gaming market research firm Newzoo.


In light of this, retailers have scrambled to roll out mobile apps geared toward iPhone and iPad users, often before rolling out their Android versions. And some are retooling their regular websites to make them work better with Apple devices, removing Flash video, which Apple’s mobile devices don’t support, and spacing out links for easier targeting with fingers.//


http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/06/...and-retailers/


Though I think it's BS to call this an "intellectual divide." It seems like a socioeconomic divide to me.
This post is even more idiotic than the OP's.

The fact that you spent any time at all searching for that nonsense is either disturbing, or telling.




Michael
Tinmania is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:13 AM   #104
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
They are a lot closer now but Verizon used to be more expensive then AT&T before the iPhone was on Verizon. I stuck with Verizon because back then AT&T service was terrible in my area. I would have had an expensive paper weight.....

So I could have saved money and got an iPhone but had terrible service that was unusable at my house. Or pay a bit more for a device that actually works. Which would a more intelligent person do?
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:18 AM   #105
Greg.
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, UK
Not that I believe in stereotyping people based on their choice of mobile phone, but relevant to the topic:

__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard
Google Nexus 4, 16GB || Google Nexus 7, 16GB
Greg. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:25 AM   #106
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Not that I believe in stereotyping people based on their choice of mobile phone, but relevant to the topic:

[url=http://column5.columnfivemedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Hunch-infographic-droid-vs-ios-C5.jpg]Image
Nice! I have both so that means I'm very well rounded! I did this on purpose to make my mom proud....
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:27 AM   #107
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a
 
Ayemerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
I have a CET certificate , an A+ and network+ and scored in the top % in my states NOCTI....buys an iPhone every year for dependability and manufacture support.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB Space Grey - iPad 4 32GB Black - Mac mini 2012
Ayemerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:32 AM   #108
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemerica View Post
I have a CET certificate , an A+ and network+ and scored in the top % in my states NOCTI....buys an iPhone every year for dependability and manufacture support.
Were you in the top 122%?....lol!

__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 AM   #109
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a
 
Ayemerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Were you in the top 122%?....lol!

Image
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB Space Grey - iPad 4 32GB Black - Mac mini 2012
Ayemerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:53 AM   #110
siiip5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Were you in the top 122%?....lol!

Image
LOL. I was about to point out the same quote. So, how is it more intelligent to prefer a device that doesn't do what you need it to, but 'looks' sleek? Johnny, do we have an acronym for this? Yes, Bob, we do. "Superficial".

Also of note, it appears that women are the dominate iphone buyers. And I was wondering why all these people were complaining that the Galaxy S3 was to big for their hands. Also, didn't realize this board was mostly made up of women. According to these stats, anyway. And since they were found on the internet, they must be true.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemerica View Post
I have a CET certificate , an A+ and network+ and scored in the top % in my states NOCTI....buys an iPhone every year for dependability and manufacture support.
Really? Do you think bringing up your academic record proves anything? Trust me, you aren't the smartest person on this board, much less this thread or even this page of the thread.

And you buy iphones for manufacturer support? Didn't realize you supported Foxxcon and the Chinese labor force. Well good for you. I don't think I could come out and say I was in support of slave labor, but to each their own. Also, you enjoying that dependable iPhone 5? No pixel issues, lagging, touch input misses, easily scratched and dented surface, and bendable frame? Or do you claim the iPhone is sexy, and then cover it up with a cheap plastic Otterbox?
siiip5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:01 PM   #111
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a
 
Ayemerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
LOL. I was about to point out the same quote. So, how is it more intelligent to prefer a device that doesn't do what you need it to, but 'looks' sleek? Johnny, do we have an acronym for this? Yes, Bob, we do. "Superficial".

Also of note, it appears that women are the dominate iphone buyers. And I was wondering why all these people were complaining that the Galaxy S3 was to big for their hands. Also, didn't realize this board was mostly made up of women. According to these stats, anyway. And since they were found on the internet, they must be true.

----------



Really? Do you think bringing up your academic record proves anything? Trust me, you aren't the smartest person on this board, much less this thread or even this page of the thread.

And you buy iphones for manufacturer support? Didn't realize you supported Foxxcon and the Chinese labor force. Well good for you. I don't think I could come out and say I was in support of slave labor, but to each their own. Also, you enjoying that dependable iPhone 5? No pixel issues, lagging, touch input misses, easily scratched and dented surface, and bendable frame? Or do you claim the iPhone is sexy, and then cover it up with a cheap plastic Otterbox?

I never said I was the smartest person on this boards, I've been reading all these posts saying that only uneducated end-users love the iPhone and that is just not true. I was saying that even a person with a tech educated background can still pick the iPhone and a person not the most savvy with tech can pick the iPhone, same goes with android. You didn't have to slash my throat for my comment.

Yes the SGIII has never had any screen issues, yes the GNEX never had any attena issues .

You say slave labor, the vast majority of those workers waited hours in line to work at that job and happily do it, others on the other hand hate it, but I guess you see only the one sided extreme on everything and need to justify why people who buy android are just so gifted with technology and inept in picking their devices. Even though places like BB and Walmart push out 20 dollar Android phones to anyone, never asking about their needs.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB Space Grey - iPad 4 32GB Black - Mac mini 2012
Ayemerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:17 PM   #112
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemerica View Post
I never said I was the smartest person on this boards, I've been reading all these posts saying that only uneducated end-users love the iPhone and that is just not true. I was saying that even a person with a tech educated background can still pick the iPhone and a person not the most savvy with tech can pick the iPhone, same goes with android. You didn't have to slash my throat for my comment.

Yes the SGIII has never had any screen issues, yes the GNEX never had any attena issues .

You say slave labor, the vast majority of those workers waited hours in line to work at that job and happily do it, others on the other hand hate it, but I guess you see only the one sided extreme on everything and need to justify why people who buy android are just so gifted with technology and inept in picking their devices. Even though places like BB and Walmart push out 20 dollar Android phones to anyone, never asking about their needs.
Pretty sure the main topic of this thread is how iPhone owners are more educated then Android users. The general consensus from Android posters is that is absurd not that iPhone users are less educated.

I keep making jokes because I find the topic ridiculous. BTW I'm an iPhone user.
cynics is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:27 PM   #113
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
The latest Android phones are in line with the cost of iPhones, so I'm not sure I see the relevance of your findings.

I bought a Galaxy S3 and paid £500 for it without a contract. I then got an iPhone 5, which was £269 plus a 24-month contract. The 64GB version would've been £700 I think, but the 16GB is £500 - same as the S3.

Also since when was the amount of money somebody made a measure of intelligence? Pop stars and footballers wouldn't necessarily have to be that intelligent, but look how much money they make!
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:17 PM   #114
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
It doesn't make sense to pull up statistics of Android vs iOS. There are lots of Android handsets, from dirt cheap to more expensive than the iPhone 5. So if somebody has statistics of e.g. Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5, then that would be more suitable to the discussion.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:45 PM   #115
JoeG4
macrumors 68020
 
JoeG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area, Ca.
Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
Thumb resize.

My phone costs a bit more than the iPhone 5 does, and I study computer engineering. I can program for iOS and am currently working on an Android project, which is actually ok once you get over using something different. I've been using Macs for over a decade, have at least 1 iOS device, and have been contributing to this forum for a decade.

Show me all of the graphs you wish, but I think the idea here is crap. What kind of motivation is behind this topic? That's what I really want to know, does it make you feel better seeing graphs about how many more iOS users have a college education versus iOS users? Does it really?

Android phones are, and have been available for quite a while on prepaid carriers - you can buy an android phone for $50 easily for carriers such as Virgin - a year or so ago you could get a Virgin plan for $25/mo and an Optimus V to use on it for less than $100.

The Optimus V may be smaller, slower, and less attractive than an iPhone 5 but it does most of the same things; making phone calls, taking pictures, and playing games. Sure, it won't do them as nicely, but it can do them. Perhaps to the people that bought it, it wasn't worth the extra $50/mo and $100 to get an iPhone 5. Maybe they couldn't afford an iPhone 5, but really wanted a smartphone.
__________________
I've been a huge fan of Mac OS X since 2001!

Last edited by JoeG4; Dec 12, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
JoeG4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:57 PM   #116
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobic99 View Post
At the end of the day, do you really care about Android users/iOS users? Does anyone really, truly care about this?
People in charge of company sales certainly do. They know where to spend their marketing dollars. They know where to spend their app development dollars. They know this, because analysis tells them where the money is.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 AM   #117
SprSynJn
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Pretty sure the main topic of this thread is how iPhone owners are more educated then Android users. The general consensus from Android posters is that is absurd not that iPhone users are less educated.
The topic is iOS users having more disposable income. It got sideswiped somewhere along the line when some people felt upset by his claim.
SprSynJn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:31 AM   #118
KirkL
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
This post is even more idiotic than the OP's.

The fact that you spent any time at all searching for that nonsense is either disturbing, or telling.




Michael
A post from the WSJ is idiotic? Lol. Your response to statistical evidence is really telling and pretty darn idiotic

And no I didn't search for it. I read it when it was first published and thought of it when I saw this thread
KirkL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #119
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkL View Post
A post from the WSJ is idiotic? Lol. Your response to statistical evidence is really telling and pretty darn idiotic

And no I didn't search for it. I read it when it was first published and thought of it when I saw this thread
Yes it was absurd. "122% prefer a sleek device that does nothing." Freaking hilarious.




Michael
Tinmania is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:51 AM   #120
KirkL
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Yes it was absurd. "122% prefer a sleek device that does nothing." Freaking hilarious.




Michael
Where did the WSJ article I cited have the 122%?

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Removed name-calling.
KirkL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 AM   #121
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprSynJn View Post
The topic is iOS users having more disposable income. It got sideswiped somewhere along the line when some people felt upset by his claim.
Sorry me so stupid I can comprehend things to good derrrhhh
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:31 AM   #122
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkL View Post
Where did the WSJ article I cited have the 122%?
As for the 122%, if you can't find it I am not about to help you.




Michael

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Tinmania is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:02 PM   #123
nickn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
The only reason I can think of why people write off the iPad 4/ iPad Mini so venomously is the simple fact that can't afford one.
WTF are you talking about.... I write off the mini because it is downright stupid, not because I can't afford one... My Nexus 7 has double the CPU power, double the RAM, a faster GPU, a higher resolution screen, and has the better OS, at least in my opinion. Even if the mini and Nexus were the same price I will still pick the nexus, so again, while it is great the Nexus is hundreds cheaper, overall price means nothing... I simply want the best product.
nickn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:16 PM   #124
The Robot Cow
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central California
What difference does it make to as to which device you own? How much of a fanboy do you have to be to bash on other devices and think that if someone buys the other kind of device is stupid and poor? Typical ignorance. I own an iPhone 5, iPad 2, galaxy nexus and the Nexus 7.

It's all down to what do you like.

Just plain stupid. It's like trying to tell a vegan that they're dumb for not eating meat. We all have our own tastes. Some people like android, some people like iOS, some don't like either, and some like both. Some people on both ends can get really annoying. What is the point of trying to convince an android fanboy that iOS is better and vice-versa.

Point is that you shouldn't worry about what other people like, just worry about what you like.
__________________
iMac 21.5 w/Fusion Drive iPhone 5 iPad 2
Galaxy Nexus & Nexus 7
Ae86 Owner
The Robot Cow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:13 PM   #125
mcman77
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
I work for a large travel company in the UK, looking at Google Analytics, the average spend on our website is really interesting.

Average spend per device on holidays/flights/booking:

iOS Phones: £352
iOS Tablets: £421
Android Phones: £188
Android Tablets £201

When you think about these statistics, and the amount of Android users that have to flood these forums with their need to compare and ridicule an inferior product, I don't find it surprising that the average iPad/iPhone user has more disposable income for holidays/luxury products.
lol!! this really made my day. What a poor ASSUMPTION. Your 'facts' can be so wrongly interpreted.

Could it be that Android user just don't use their devices to purchase online?

oh my

and there are many phones that are priced up there with iphones...tablets too.
mcman77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why far more Android users post here than iOS users on Android forums? KimIlSung Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 77 Jun 13, 2014 02:23 PM
iOS 7 from an Android users perspective. Southernboyj iOS 7 5 Jun 11, 2013 12:27 AM
Apps for Android users who also use iOS sk1wbw Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Mar 20, 2013 09:08 AM
i might look at an android (MAXX).....i need iOS users opinions on aliensarecool Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 10 Aug 26, 2012 06:05 PM
iOS users are savvy. Android Users Don't Know Enough to Matter Technarchy Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 4 Jun 25, 2012 02:20 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC